Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Absent an Injury, Should the Vikings add a free agent or two?
With the salary cap relief the Vikings received from Michael Pierce's opt-out for 2020, the Vikings have the funds to add a free agent or two that could help the team.  Should they?  There are a couple of obvious possibilities:

Defensive Tackle -- We know the Vikings tried here -- with the failed attempt to land P.J. Hall.  There is no true nose tackle on the roster, and it doesn't seem that Zimmer is willing to change his defensive scheme  -- instead looking like we will get a square peg in a round hole at NT.  There are a couple of NTs that could be picked up on a one-year deal, including "Snacks" Harrison, a 350 pound anchor who has a resume but uneven performance of late.

Offensive Line -- It is curious that Josh Kline, arguably the best O lineman on the team last year, is still available in free agency.  For a team that seems hell-bent on continuity on the OL, this one is curious.  The speculation is that Kline was too expensive and the Vikes were cap-crunched, leading to his release.  But with the season about to start and no early draft capital spent at Guard, signing Kline to a one-year deal seems very doable.  The downside of this move, of course, is that it will take snaps away from someone who is developing -- perhaps Dru Samia.  I'd honestly rather see Kline as the starter and let the other candidates fight with Elflein for the other starting guard spot.

Other -- Everson Griffen seems to be in play for the Vikings, and would bring leadership and fire to the team.  Is that worth taking snaps away from younger prospects?  Corner is also a possibility, the theory being that a veteran in the mix with all of the youth and inexperience would be a good thing.  Dre Kirkpatrick's name has been mentioned.

Thoughts?  Of course you want to have some money in the bank should there be an injury that would leave a void -- we seem particularly thin at safety and at WR.

Why pay a free agent for a season that is unlikely to happen and if it does may get canceled or shortened? I think the Vikings see themselves in the middle of an 18-month offseason. If they add free agents, it should be next March when they have a better idea who was able to stay in good shape during Covid.

I would take all 3, Snacks, EG, and Kline.  I would feel better about the trenches with that added layer of depth, plus I believe Harrison can still play at a high level and would have never been surrounded with such talent if he joined this team.

Patterson just said that, in the Vikings defense, the nose has to play 3T and the 3T has to play nose. And that Jaleel, Stephen, Watts and Lynch can do both. Obviously, we won't be as good without Pierce, but I say we use part of his money to pay Dalvin and let's get on with it. The worst part is that Stephen probably makes the team now, when before he was probably the odd man out. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Patterson just said that, in the Vikings defense, the nose has to play 3T and the 3T has to play nose. And that Jaleel, Stephen, Watts and Lynch can do both. Obviously, we won't be as good without Pierce, but I say we use part of his money to pay Dalvin and let's get on with it. The worst part is that Stephen probably makes the team now, when before he was probably the odd man out. 

So Linvalle Joseph played 3T? Tom Johnson played the nose? Sure.
Maybe he meant to say, "backup DTs fighting for a roster spot should be able to play either spot to improve their chances".

this season is a bust IMO, not likely to make it all the way through,  save the money,  use it to extend Cook by front loading the deal so he doesnt hinder us going forward,  and just roll with what we've got.

It is doubtful that the Vikings will truly be competitive.  They are saying all the right things now to give us hope, which is a good thing, but that can only go so far.

The cornerback situation will prove to be a real struggle (as it should be with very young inexperienced players) and the guard situation is no better than last year.

The wide receiver situation is putting a lot of pressure on a rookie.

Odengibo will have to step up big time.

If I am running the Vikings I would be looking to trade Reiff (Chargers for Desmond King?) or just cut him.

I would want that 11 mil to carry over to next year or use in an extension to Cook or if that is too pricey, an extension for O'Neill.

They really should consider ...

[Image: DefenselessAmazingAustraliankelpie-size_restricted.gif]