Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OFFENSIVE LINE OPTIMISM
A year ago, Zimmer said, he was optimistic that his offensive line was in good shape entering the season
“And then the titanic crashed,” he said.
Injuries to nearly every starter began in training camp and never stopped, a large reason for Minnesota’s failure to make the playoffs. After a 5-0 start, the Vikings lost eight of its final 11 games, and finished dead last in rushing among 32 NFL teams, averaging 75.3 yards a game.
That’s why Zimmer is curbing his enthusiasm on this year’s rebuilt unit, which appears close to set with rookie Pat Elflein possibly starting at center, and either Joe Berger or Nick Easton at right guard.
http://www.twincities.com/2017/08/22/vik...ve-roster/

This staff likes Easton. They are seeing Elflein's ability and realizing he's the starting center, but I wonder if Easton sneaks in at some point as the starting guard?

Lots of discussion about Easton or Elflein pushing out Boone, but I think Berger is more likely to be pushed to backup role.  Partially the salary, but more because Berger is one hit away from retirement.  His concussion issues last year may keep him from being trusted for 16 games this year.  And why have change mid season?  Get the youth in there and grow with it.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
This staff likes Easton. They are seeing Elflein's ability and realizing he's the starting center, but I wonder if Easton sneaks in at some point as the starting guard?
I wouldn't crown Elflein the starting center just yet, but it looks like he might have the advantage right now, because if it's close, they'll probably go with the rookie because of what it sets up for the future. Whoever starts Sunday is likely the winner. In either case, it's nice to have some depth on the inside. 

I just can't help but remember how, when going back and watching Elflein's games at OSU....while he was a very good center, he was a dominant right guard.