Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dre Kirkpatrick Hits The Market
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MarkSP18 said:
Somebody posted on twitter that there is no excuse for the Vikings to not go and get Dre.

Here was one very good response ...

Let’s add this up, the guy that got replaced by the guys that we didn’t want should be brought onto our team to upgrade the position? Lot to unpack there
That completely disregards price point though. Apples to apples you're comparing Dre to Trae and if the Vikings had unlimited cap space, of course they would have kept Waynes. Its a valid comment/point but I don't think it is necessarily fair when all things are not equal. 
Price point or not.  Is he worth even signing at all?

Quote: @Tyr said:
I would hope that no one is viewing Kirkpatrick as a replacement for Waynes. I see it more like the Terrence Newman signing where he's a veteran corner who can add some stability to secondary. Maybe he ends up starting, but he'd need to compete with younger players. Probably someone that you bring in on a short term deal to prove himself coming off of an injury. Also not comparing him to Newman as a player/teacher just in the sense that he's a vet with experience under Zimmer.
I would put money on that being Jonathan Joseph.  Still has gas in the tank, a Zim disciple, solid vet voice for Hughes, Hill, Rookie, and Boyd.

If we went DT, DE, and CB in the draft I could see this being like the 2015 Vikings defense

2015:
Griff and Joseph in their prime, young development DE in Hunter, young interior presence Floyd
Long talented Rhodes, inside out CB with Captain plus rookie CB Waynes, Zim vet in Newman

2020:
Hunter and Pierce in their prime, young development DE in rookie and Fedi, young interior presence rookie (Kinlaw in a trade up?)
Long talented Hill, inside out CB with Hughes, plus rookie CB 1st RD, Zim vet in Joseph

LBs in 2020 are better.  Safeties are better

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MarkSP18 said:
Somebody posted on twitter that there is no excuse for the Vikings to not go and get Dre.

Here was one very good response ...

Let’s add this up, the guy that got replaced by the guys that we didn’t want should be brought onto our team to upgrade the position? Lot to unpack there
That completely disregards price point though. Apples to apples you're comparing Dre to Trae and if the Vikings had unlimited cap space, of course they would have kept Waynes. Its a valid comment/point but I don't think it is necessarily fair when all things are not equal. 
Price point or not.  Is he worth even signing at all?
Hypothetically anyone is worth signing at the right price. For Kirkpatrick he is worth a shot on a low money/low guarantee deal. But that changes if he's looking for $6+M a year. 

Kirkpatrick is a no brainer for me if his health checks out. He’s a very good corner. Is it getting slow with age or is he falling apart? That’s the question. If he’s healthy, he’s a big new addition to the defense.

If the Vikings land 2018 Dre Kirkpatrick, they'll be in business. 2019 was regressive.

QBs that targeted Dre Kirkpatrick in *2018* met this eventual statline:

36/72 Completions to Targets
50.0% Comp pct
504 yards
2 TD
7.0 Yds/Target
9 Passes Defended
0 INTs
82.2 Passer Rating

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
If the Vikings land 2018 Dre Kirkpatrick, they'll be in business. 2019 was regressive.

QBs that targeted Dre Kirkpatrick in *2018* met this eventual statline:

36/72 Completions to Targets
50.0% Comp pct
504 yards
2 TD
7.0 Yds/Target
9 Passes Defended
0 INTs
82.2 Passer Rating
So you're saying he's still significantly better than  2019 Rhodes?