Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doogie says....
Quote: @Bullazin said:
Does Wirfs tape back up his combine performance?  I remember when Aaron Donald made the combine his $&@!  I figured he was the best player in the draft based on the video i had seen
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
can Wirfs play on the left side?   I have only seen him line up at RT in college.  I think we already have RT cemented.
His tape is good but not great. But he shows all the athletic talent on film, so the combine was no fluke. He can probably play anywhere across the line outside of center. I also wouldn't necessarily make the assumption they will leave O'Neill at RT now that Kline is gone. 

The question on Wirfs is if he has all the skills and athleticism, why didn't he dominate at Iowa? Answer in my mind is that its hidden in the tape. Iowa's offense is not sexy and that made the tape less sexy too. There is nothing on his film that doesn't make me think he can't become a pro-bowl OT or a potential all-pro guard. To offer some perspective, I like his tape better than Scherff. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
Vikings are looking at CB or OL with the first couple of picks in the Draft. Obviously, how it falls could change things. 
I've done a few mock drafts recently and there appears to be a dead zone in the early 20s for both CBs and OLs. After Okudah and Henderson, there's a distinct gap in my opinion. The next CBs--Terrell, Fulton, Igbinoghene, Diggs and Jaylon Johnson--are grouped together and could go in any order based on scheme fit, but none seem worthy of a 22 or a 25 pick to me. At tackle I see something similar. After Thomas, Becton and Wirfs, there's a gap. Wills, Jones, Wilson, Jackson and Cleveland are clustered together, but all seem like early 2nd rounders to me. 

We could trade down to get better value, but the problem is that we can't afford any more picks. As it is, with 12 picks, our draft budget is estimated now to be $11M, where in a normal draft with 7 choices, it would be around $6M. We'll definitely couple a few of those together to move up here and there, but I'm also wondering if this might be a year we see the Vikings trade one of their early picks for a pick next year. A 3rd for a '21 2nd. Or their 2nd for a '21 1st. 
To me it probably means they're going to need to move around the draft board quite a bit. I mentioned in another thread it probably makes sense to use one of the picks in the 1st to move up while using the other to move back to negate the premium price you move to go up. That at least eliminates one of the dead zones. 

Although teams usually use their higher picks to move up the board I wouldn't be shocked to see them use #25 to move up. I think #22 could end up being a premium trade down spot. Teams at the top of the 2nd might get scared of the Patriots or Saints drafting a QB and pay a premium to get into that spot. 
I like the idea of moving up as you mentioned in another thread.  I would do it for several players myself.  Andrew Thomas, Jerry Jeudy, CeeDee Lamb, Henry Ruggs III, and Tua.

One thing needs to be corrected.  It is true that the Vikings will need about 11M to sign the rookies. But those contract will replace other contracts already on the roster if they make the team.

Right now there are 60 players signed (with the Hill, Zettel, Jones and Abdullah signings). https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/cap/

The Vikings will actually need about 3.79M to sign the rookies if they add 12 and they all make the team.  https://overthecap.com/draft/

Rookie pool   :   Replaced $2,355,559    :    $675,000  $2,249,861    :    $675,000  $1,013,183    :    $675,000  $829,920    :    $610,000  $814,509    :    $610,000  $778,092    :    $610,000  $68,155    :    $610,000  $651,306    :    $610,000  $649,969    :    $610,000  $636,329    :    $610,000  $628,551    :    $610,000  $628,551    :    $610,000  $11,303,985    :    $7,515,000 Actual needed   :    $3,788,985 

@Bullazin said:
Does Wirfs tape back up his combine performance?  I remember when Aaron Donald made the combine his $&@!  I figured he was the best player in the draft based on the video i had seen
can Wirfs play on the left side?   I have only seen him line up at RT in college.  I think we already have RT cemented.
His tape is good but not great. But he shows all the athletic talent on film, so the combine was no fluke. He can probably play anywhere across the line outside of center. I also wouldn't necessarily make the assumption they will leave O'Neill at RT now that Kline is gone. 

The question on Wirfs is if he has all the skills and athleticism, why didn't he dominate at Iowa? Answer in my mind is that its hidden in the tape. Iowa's offense is not sexy and that made the tape less sexy too. There is nothing on his film that doesn't make me think he can't become a pro-bowl OT or a potential all-pro guard. To offer some perspective, I like his tape better than Scherff. 
So Geoff, when are we going to be blessed with one of your mocks?

@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
Vikings are looking at CB or OL with the first couple of picks in the Draft. Obviously, how it falls could change things. 
I've done a few mock drafts recently and there appears to be a dead zone in the early 20s for both CBs and OLs. After Okudah and Henderson, there's a distinct gap in my opinion. The next CBs--Terrell, Fulton, Igbinoghene, Diggs and Jaylon Johnson--are grouped together and could go in any order based on scheme fit, but none seem worthy of a 22 or a 25 pick to me. At tackle I see something similar. After Thomas, Becton and Wirfs, there's a gap. Wills, Jones, Wilson, Jackson and Cleveland are clustered together, but all seem like early 2nd rounders to me. 

We could trade down to get better value, but the problem is that we can't afford any more picks. As it is, with 12 picks, our draft budget is estimated now to be $11M, where in a normal draft with 7 choices, it would be around $6M. We'll definitely couple a few of those together to move up here and there, but I'm also wondering if this might be a year we see the Vikings trade one of their early picks for a pick next year. A 3rd for a '21 2nd. Or their 2nd for a '21 1st. 
Since I forgot to mention it in my last post. I think Wirf's draft slot will mean a lot to our entire draft. If he gets past the Giants at #4 and gets to pick #10 I feel overly confident saying the Vikings will spend and arm & leg to go get him. 

Wow! I wouldn't hate this move but it would be a blockbuster. I agree with you that if they trade up, they definitely need to move the other pick back in order to recoup some picks.
But moving from 25 to ~10 would be EXPENSIVE. Would that cost our 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd?

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:

If Wills is there at 22, we better jump on him.  I think he would be a perfect fit for us...  athletic, good zone blocker.  He doesn't have prototypical size for an NFL LT, but you could easily start him at LG as a rookie and potentially have the option to bump him out to LT in 2021.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:

Since I forgot to mention it in my last post. I think Wirf's draft slot will mean a lot to our entire draft. If he gets past the Giants at #4 and gets to pick #10 I feel overly confident saying the Vikings will spend and arm & leg to go get him. 

Wow! I wouldn't hate this move but it would be a blockbuster. I agree with you that if they trade up, they definitely need to move the other pick back in order to recoup some picks.
But moving from 25 to ~10 would be EXPENSIVE. Would that cost our 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd?
We have a lot of roster spots to fill, so investing too much in one player is a concern. Even if we trade back with the other first to recoup some of those assets, then that just leaves a big hole elsewhere on the roster. Not sure yet who are the guys I'd trade up for, maybe a DT like Brown or Kinlaw or one of the top WRs.

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@Bullazin said:

So Geoff, when are we going to be blessed with one of your mocks?
Considering that I am more or less stuck in this house for the indefinite future, hopefully sooner than later!