Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rick On Irv At The Combine
Rick Spielman is very excited about the future of tight end Irv Smith Jr. He thinks last year was just the beginning and he's going to continue developing even more.

“I think you’re going to continue to see Irv step up because he can create mismatches." #Vikings

It's easy to forget about Irv Smith...  he'll definitely be a guy to watch this coming season.  The coaching staff knew he was a good receiver, but was pleasantly surprised with his blocking ability.  He certainly didn't look overmatched as a rookie and will likely be used even more in 2020.  His emergence could really put this offense over the top.

I want to see him off the line - I want to see him committed to routes and avoid the Rudolph development curve. I still think about Kyle coming out of college vs. what we got. Kyle in that Pro Bowl playing like the college kid vs. the rest of his career here. I'd love to see Irv be a down to down threat - an Antonio Gates type with wheels.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
It's easy to forget about Irv Smith...  he'll definitely be a guy to watch this coming season.  The coaching staff knew he was a good receiver, but was pleasantly surprised with his blocking ability.  He certainly didn't look overmatched as a rookie and will likely be used even more in 2020.  His emergence could really put this offense over the top.
Challenge for the OC will be how to keep all the pass-catchers happy?

Cook too. 

I couldn't agree more. He is and was a site to see his rookie year. I think he is going to be huge for this offense. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"Wetlander" said:

Cook too. 
I think that was Diggs biggest frustration last season...  if we lost and he wasn't involved much, he got pissed.  That's completely understandable, the dude is a playmaker and probably feels like if the team can get the ball in his hands, he can help them win.  When they don't and we lose...  frustrated Diggs.

Hopefully Kubiak has a plan to get all of our playmakers involved.  Balance is key.

@"purplefaithful" said:
@"Wetlander" said:

Cook too. 
I think that was Diggs biggest frustration last season...  if we lost and he wasn't involved much, he got pissed.  That's completely understandable, the dude is a playmaker and probably feels like if the team can get the ball in his hands, he can help them win.  When they don't and we lose...  frustrated Diggs.

Hopefully Kubiak has a plan to get all of our playmakers involved.  Balance is key.
we were beating the saints in the playoffs and he threw a tantrum of sorts.

he is a known threat,  teams are going to scheme to take him away and he has to know that with a QB and 2 WR making top tier money that doesnt leave a lot left for OL so if he isnt open quickly then Kirk isnt going to have much of an opportunity to wait for him to make a 2nd or 3rd move in many instances,   and we know that Kirk doesnt really throw receivers open very often,  to much risk in putting it up for grabs for Kirk to stomach.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"Wetlander" said:

Cook too. 

he is a known threat,  teams are going to scheme to take him away and he has to know that with a QB and 2 WR making top tier money that doesnt leave a lot left for OL so if he isnt open quickly then Kirk isnt going to have much of an opportunity to wait for him to make a 2nd or 3rd move in many instances,   and we know that Kirk doesnt really throw receivers open very often,  to much risk in putting it up for grabs for Kirk to stomach.
Kubiak had 2 WRs over 1,000 yards (Sanders and Thomas) the year he won the Superbowl with a dead armed Manning. Something tells me he'll be able to get Diggs the ball plenty. And Adam, and Irv, and Dalvin and Rudy.

And didn't Diggs lead the League in contested catches last season?

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"Wetlander" said:

Cook too. 

Kubiak had 2 WRs over 1,000 yards (Sanders and Thomas) the year he won the Superbowl with a dead armed Manning. Something tells me he'll be able to get Diggs the ball plenty. And Adam, and Irv, and Dalvin and Rudy.

And didn't Diggs lead the League in contested catches last season?
I dont know... did he?   I know he was #2 in 2018 behind Tyreek Hill.  He was #1 in 2017,   however its not like that is a huge category to begin with.   his number for both 17 and 18 he was 16 of 25 attempts,  so he caught 64% of the balls that were thrown to him less than twice a game.   its good that he is near the best in the league at those balls,  but its not like KC is going to go gunslinger and try and force the ball to him more often despite there being tight coverage IMO.