Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings stuffed the run and frustrated the Cowboys
http://www.startribune.com/even-without-...564875462/
Quote:With Elliott still on the ground, Frederick turned toward the Cowboys sideline and screamed his frustration.

“After the play, [Frederick] was like, ‘What are we doing here!? Why are you running this!?’ ”
But what kills me is this bit.
Quote:As for those final two red-zone runs, Barr said he and Kendricks both read run pre-snap and alerted the front line.

“The
Cowboys show tips,” Barr said. “They’re real heavy in their stances, how
they set. Usually, Eric and I have a good feel for that as the game
goes on. Whether the linemen are setting heavy or light. Little things
like that.”
First, why would an NFL club not be able to self scout and realize this.  Or are they so arrogant to think they can tell you what they are doing and do it anyway?  Good way to kill your offense.
Second, really wish Barr hadn't said this.  It is great that they were able to figure it out, but don't give away your info. 

Minnesota couldn't stop their passing game. If not for Garrett's stubbornness, this game could have had a different outcome. 

Minnesota stopped their run game, and that was the difference in the game.  Dallas wanted to run the ball and couldn't.  Oh, and on 4th down, EK did stop the pass game with a huge deflection.  Yes, they gave up too many big plays, but credit Dak and Cooper for hitting some crazy throws and catches.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Minnesota couldn't stop their passing game. If not for Garrett's stubbornness, this game could have had a different outcome. 
Well, I wouldn't say "couldn't".  I do remember a certain 4th down play Kendricks defended very well.  B)

I'm kidding, Sticky.  There were a couple plays that did change the game that went against the Vikes.  I think that last touchdown by Dallas was BS.  Cooper pushed off hard enough to make Hughes step backwards, so Cooper was wide open.  Totally offensive PI, and the third down sack of Prescott was called back due to a BS holding call on Harry.  Both of those calls kept the game way closer for Dallas.

Prescott played extremely well; way better than I've ever noticed before, but I think Dallas got some home cooking from the refs too.

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Well, I wouldn't say "couldn't".  I do remember a certain 4th down play Kendricks defended very well.  B)

I'm kidding, Sticky.  There were a couple plays that did change the game that went against the Vikes.  I think that last touchdown by Dallas was BS.  Cooper pushed off hard enough to make Hughes step backwards, so Cooper was wide open.  Totally offensive PI, and the third down sack of Prescott was called back due to a BS holding call on Harry.  Both of those calls kept the game way closer for Dallas.

Prescott played extremely well; way better than I've ever noticed before, but I think Dallas got some home cooking from the refs too.
Yes, those two were huge plays.  I do think the non call on Harrison in the endzone was fortunate for us tho.  3 or 4 catches by Cooper were in the "no way he got his feet in" category. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
I think it was a bit by design.  Zimmer wanted to make sure we stuffed the run and committed extra guys to do that.  It left our CBs in a lot of 1-1 man coverage and you have to credit Dak for making some good throws and finding open guys.

The game plan worked.  The Cowboys had a lot of empty yards on some drives that eventually stalled out or resulted in FGs.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
I think it was a bit by design.  Zimmer wanted to make sure we stuffed the run and committed extra guys to do that.  It left our CBs in a lot of 1-1 man coverage and you have to credit Dak for making some good throws and finding open guys.

The game plan worked.  The Cowboys had a lot of empty yards on some drives that eventually stalled out or resulted in FGs.
Yes, noticed Gedeon on the field quite a bit in that game.

We gave up 400 yards passing and held them to 50 yards rushing.
That's not great...

Quote: @"Norse" said:
We gave up 400 yards passing and held them to 50 yards rushing.
That's not great...
No, but it was the game plan we went with. I've heard many say that if we meet the Cowboys again, we'll likely take a different approach.