Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diggs wide open, Cousins dumps off
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
once again i find myself asking... how poor is the depth at interior OL if we are going to continue to see our OGs and Center get piss pounded on a regular basis.  I love the concept of the athletic pulling C/OG,  but if that means that they are to weak to get any push in the run game or to anchor in pass pro.. then screw it,  lets get back to controlling the LOS through dominance instead of mis-direction.
That's a bit of an overreaction, don't you think? This wide zone has lead to one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL, and the NFL's leading rusher. Chiefs put 9 in the box and stopped our running game. Typically, the QB would be able to make them regret that decision and then things go back to the kind of balance we've seen for most of the season. Problem is, Cousins on Sunday couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a bass fiddle. That won't happen every game. 

It will be interesting, though, to see if Dallas tries the same game plan and how/if we're able to respond to it. 
is it?  they struggled early against decent DLines,   feasted on weaker teams, 
I think you could say that about every team in the league. Poor OL play is epidemic in the NFL. The fact remains that we're still a top 3 rushing team, even after KC. And if it ain't because we have great offensive linemen, it's because of our scheme, our backs and how well they fit together. 

I hope you're not serious that after bringing in Kubiak and Dennison and drafting O'Neill and Bradbury and having some serious success with the wide zone, you want to totally switch gears and go to a power scheme after one bad game. 

Again, if Cousins is on target on Sunday, that's a whole different game. 
Um, the Chiefs were down two Starters against Griff, Hunter, Weatherly and All Vowels. And didn't give up anything until late in the game. I sure didn't see that epidemic you're referring to from them.

Meanwhile, the Line you're defending was up against 2 backup DEs, a run stuffing only DT and a Monster. Maybe the best pass interior pass rusher not named Donald. And only doubleteamed him 15 plays.

I'm all for the scheme. Elf just doesn't fit it. Or any scheme, really. He's too slow laterally too often. There are literally dozens of plays were he's pulled and barely laid a finger on his guy.

But his anchor also sucks so he can't win in the phone booth against bigger guys when singled up.

To be fair,  Kubiak and Dennison are in Year 1 and working with what they inherited. I'm sure they were major voices at the table regarding Bradbury, who will get better and better, and Kline. I also hope Samia was their guy.

Line needs an Elf Upgrade next offseason. Probably a future Kline replacement too. And a Reiff replacement. Sigh. 

Work still to be done there is, hmmm?

@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
once again i find myself asking... how poor is the depth at interior OL if we are going to continue to see our OGs and Center get piss pounded on a regular basis.  I love the concept of the athletic pulling C/OG,  but if that means that they are to weak to get any push in the run game or to anchor in pass pro.. then screw it,  lets get back to controlling the LOS through dominance instead of mis-direction.
That's a bit of an overreaction, don't you think? This wide zone has lead to one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL, and the NFL's leading rusher. Chiefs put 9 in the box and stopped our running game. Typically, the QB would be able to make them regret that decision and then things go back to the kind of balance we've seen for most of the season. Problem is, Cousins on Sunday couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a bass fiddle. That won't happen every game. 

It will be interesting, though, to see if Dallas tries the same game plan and how/if we're able to respond to it. 
I think you could say that about every team in the league. Poor OL play is epidemic in the NFL. The fact remains that we're still a top 3 rushing team, even after KC. And if it ain't because we have great offensive linemen, it's because of our scheme, our backs and how well they fit together. 

I hope you're not serious that after bringing in Kubiak and Dennison and drafting O'Neill and Bradbury and having some serious success with the wide zone, you want to totally switch gears and go to a power scheme after one bad game. 

and if the defense had made a few more plays,  if bailey hadnt missed that EP,  if Zim hadnt called that time out... they are all paid a shit ton to play the same game,  cousins poor performance weighs no more IMO than any of the  rest of them.

as far as the OL,  are we back to the glory days of AD?  Giving shitty OL play a pass because the RB is kicking ass?  I dont want to fall into that trap again myself.  if they cant find interior players that can pass protect, then yes the scheme is a failure in a passing league. (not saying it is,  just saying that if that athletic interior guy isnt out there,  then yes try something else next year.
It was a team loss, no doubt about it. In the game of inches within a game we lost about 6 to 2. I've gone over that before so I won't again. 

However, IMO, the biggest culprit was Cousins missing receivers he doesn't typically miss. Now, I'm not one of these pinheads who overreacts and makes declarative statements about one game, and how Cousins will never be this or never be that or that he was a waste of money, whatever, because like I've said before, inaccuracy is not part of his profile.

I don't know what was wrong with him in this one, but if you change that ONE thing, then the Chiefs don't continue loading the box and this is an entirely different ball game and the game of inches doesn't matter. 
on several of those throws it was bad mechanics,  not setting his feet or squaring himself for the throw,  on one particular throw he was still moving backwards and its about impossible to not have a ball sail without stepping into a throw... the winds early in the game just made it worse for him.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:

and if the defense had made a few more plays,  if bailey hadnt missed that EP,  if Zim hadnt called that time out... they are all paid a shit ton to play the same game,  cousins poor performance weighs no more IMO than any of the  rest of them.

as far as the OL,  are we back to the glory days of AD?  Giving shitty OL play a pass because the RB is kicking ass?  I dont want to fall into that trap again myself.  if they cant find interior players that can pass protect, then yes the scheme is a failure in a passing league. (not saying it is,  just saying that if that athletic interior guy isnt out there,  then yes try something else next year.
It was a team loss, no doubt about it. In the game of inches within a game we lost about 6 to 2. I've gone over that before so I won't again. 

However, IMO, the biggest culprit was Cousins missing receivers he doesn't typically miss. Now, I'm not one of these pinheads who overreacts and makes declarative statements about one game, and how Cousins will never be this or never be that or that he was a waste of money, whatever, because like I've said before, inaccuracy is not part of his profile.

I don't know what was wrong with him in this one, but if you change that ONE thing, then the Chiefs don't continue loading the box and this is an entirely different ball game and the game of inches doesn't matter. 
on several of those throws it was bad mechanics,  not setting his feet or squaring himself for the throw,  on one particular throw he was still moving backwards and its about impossible to not have a ball sail without stepping into a throw... the winds early in the game just made it worse for him.
Cousins was talking about his hips being off and Zimmer was pissed that he was giving the reporters that information. Zimmer was saying it was just footwork.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Cousins was talking about his hips being off and Zimmer was pissed that he was giving the reporters that information. Zimmer was saying it was just footwork.
if Zimmer doesnt want his players talking,  then he should do it all himself.  personally I think Zimmer is starting to lose it a bit in terms of his mind... its very apparent that the stresses of the job weigh on him more than it does some of the other coaches.

@pumpf said:
I think that most of those videos are dumb.  By the time that the receiver is open, Cousins has already been forced to get rid of the ball (or is just about to do so).  Yeah, AFTER the ball has been thrown, alot of receivers look open.  Heck, if the OL had given Cousins more time, he might have been able to find them.  The one clip that shows Diggs sitting down in a zone is an example of a play that Cousins missed.  But, even if he had thrown it, it was a 5-7 yard gain (at most).  There were 2 deep balls that Cousins missed on... and that's on him.  And he REALLY sucked at the short passes to the flats.  But these clips do nothing to advance the case that Cousins was missing wide open receivers all day. 

He didn't play well, that's for sure.  But it appeared to me that too many of the routes that were called were deeper routes... that our OL simply didn't give time to develop.  It's almost like having Norv Turner back calling the plays.
Really? Wow. 

https://twitter.com/i/status/1191396546425704448
If you read my post, you'd see that that was the one time that I agreed that Cousins missed Diggs.  I bolded it for you above, so you can see that we agree on that one play.