Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Found Another Reason to Love Teddy
Some of you may know I'm an avid cyclist; AKA "Bike Nerd".  Currenly I own 5 different kinds of bikes and commute to work daily, including winter on my fat bike.
Just found out this about Teddy, and now I even like him more.  B)

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a29439657/saints-quarterback-teddy-bridgewater-rides-bike-to-games/?fbclid=IwAR22jYDtUf9zObGXILcxJO6MLosnMExetLCFPtAR6kWuA981qkPOdYwZWqI
New Orleans Saints quarterback Teddy
Bridgewater—who is filling in for the injured Drew Brees—has an unusual
mode of transportation to home games: his bike.

He’s not the first athlete—or even the first NFL
player—to do this, but it seems to be captivating the faithful Saints
fans, who want to get behind their starting quarterback in more than one
way, according to WDSU Sports.

The
26-year-old, who shared that he rides to and from the Mercedes-Benz
Superdome, appears to be open to the idea having local cyclists join in.
“I had no idea it was a big deal,” Bridgewater told WDSU. “But if anyone wants to ride with me, I’m open to it.”

The local cycling community seems to be on board with the plan. Bike Easy,
a New Orleans nonprofit devoted to cycling education and advocacy, is
excited about Bridgewater’s encouragement to let fans join him. After
all, they say, it promotes a cleaner, healthier, and less expensive
means of travel.
Dan Favre, executive director
of Bike Easy, commented to WDSU that riding as a means of commuting
should be an option for everyone. By bringing more eyes to bike commuting, Bridgewater may also serve in bringing awareness to the safety issues that come with riding in the city.
Whether or not fans will join Bridgewater on his journey to the stadium, he is living that “bike life,” as stated in his Instagram. Bridgewater is also famous for his “bike life” dance, which he performed in the locker room last season.

The only thing he may be worried about? The infamous New Orleans potholes—though he stated that he would be more concerned about their effects to his car than to his bike.
Biking to the stadium or to their match is not an uncommon practice among athletes: Serena Williams, for instance, cited being able to get there faster as a motivation to take to two wheels. But besides the time benefit, there may be a psychological boost as well: Cycling has been proven to have positive effects on mental health, stress, and depression—which can be especially beneficial when you play on a national stage with pressure to perform.

I read about this last week. Can't wait to see video of New Orleans riding with Teddy! 

I ride but I'm probably the farthest thing from a bike nerd you'll find. Just never got why anyone would spend $8,000 (and up) on a bike and need to wear a "bike uniform" when they ride. :-)

But we all have our obsessions. I'm that way about audio I guess. 

You definitely don't need to spend 8K on a nice bike.  The most I've spent on any of my bikes was on my newest fat bike a year ago for 1.5K  marked down from $2,700.  It was a demo model from Scheels and I ride the heck out it.  I gave my youngest son my old fat bike so we can ride winter trails together.  I just picked up this bad ass 2016 Salsa Cutthroat for adventure rides  ($1,100 normally 3K).  This thing is made to go anywhere, and it does!

[Image: trek-fat-bike.jpg]
[Image: salsa-cutthroat-x9-242822-1.jpg]

Those fat tire bikes have been popping up down here too.
They work equally good in sand.