Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
glimpses of 2017
https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/10/14...the-charts
Warning, lots of PFF rankings in this, so take it for what it is.  But as much as Zimmer doesn't like PFF, I think it has a place, more in the overall numbers.  I think PFF doesn't do well in the individual rankings of players, but looking at the number crunching from a wider perspective makes sense.
Overall team grade, points differential and yards per play, we are ranked 3rd behind the two undefeated teams.  We are down in the turnover margin which has really lead to the two losses.
But what I find really interesting is this comparison.  my comments in red.

Quote:It’s also worth mentioning that the 2019 Vikings are
currently meeting or outpacing the 2017 Vikings in these key measures
after 6 games. Both teams were 4-2 after six games. Here is some
comparisons:

Points Per Game: 2017: 20.3 (19th) | 2019: 25.0 (12th) our offense is much better

Points Per Game Allowed: 2017: 17.2 (5th) | 2019: 15.5 (6th) defense is even better

Point Differential: 2017: +19 | 2019: +57 big jump

Yards Per Play: 2017: 5.5 (12th) | 2019: 6.3 (3rd)

Yards Per Play Allowed: 2017: 4.8 (5th) | 2019: 4.8 (5th)

Turnover Margin Per Game: 2017: +0.3 (12th) | 2019: +0.2 (14th)

The problem as I see it is if the Packers win we’re in 2nd in the division. If the Lions win we’re 3rd. The North is by far and away the best division.  

The point differential is highly interesting. I actually noticed that yesterday. 

Vikings are in a decent spot right now. If they could get a win in Detroit this Sunday, they'd have 3 home games left within the division. Green Bay might turn out to be tough to catch for the NFCN crown, but my guess is Minnesota will have that chance....whether they capitalize on it is another matter. 

Regardless, the NFC is very strong. At least Minnesota is playing meaningful games, makes for an exciting season. Again: what gets continually underrated is WHEN you play teams (how injured are they? Are they missing important players?). in 2017, Minnesota got some very nice luck in that vein. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
The point differential is highly interesting. I actually noticed that yesterday. 

Vikings are in a decent spot right now. If they could get a win in Detroit this Sunday, they'd have 3 home games left within the division. Green Bay might turn out to be tough to catch for the NFCN crown, but my guess is Minnesota will have that chance....whether they capitalize on it is another matter. 

Regardless, the NFC is very strong. At least Minnesota is playing meaningful games, makes for an exciting season. Again: what gets continually underrated is WHEN you play teams (how injured are they? Are they missing important players?). in 2017, Minnesota got some very nice luck in that vein. 
The way I see it is GB has had some serious homecooking that has resulted in 3 extra wins that they shouldn't have had. That will change when they get on the road in the second half of the season. Lucking into wins only lasts so long. I see them 10-6 at best. If the Vikes take care of their own business, they can be set up to smoke the Pack in december which they will either way. Have to get a win in Detroit first and foremost.

What worries me the most is if the Packers win the division,
we’ll get a wild card and have to travel to some place where everything is
stacked against us and we tank it.

I'm not going to worry about what I can't control. First step: Vikings getting into the playoffs period.