Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Treasury will again borrow $1 trillion to pay for tax cuts, spending
Quote: @"SFVikeFan" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"pumpf" said:
Liberals are worried about gov't spending and the deficit?  Cue the R.E.M. song...
Seriously, though: I agree.  I just don't think that *some* people's concern over such things is genuine.  It kinda feels like they're just looking for something about which to criticize Trump.  I guess we'll see... the next time that a Democrat is in office.  Of course, the Dems are in control of the budget now... and I don't hear anyone (from the Left) criticizing their money management skills.
It's not the spending or the deficit,  it's the tax cut that still has them spinning.
Maybe this is what has us laughing:

Trump's campaign promise that these tax cuts would eliminate the deficit and wipe out our debt in 8 years.  Trump promised the tax cuts will lead to a $1.5 trillion dollar increase in tax revenue. 

Instead he more than doubled what Obama's spending was in 2017, which will hit $1 trillion in 2020.

And when every economist predicted this, yet Republicans insisted this new and improved version of trickle down economics was certain to work this time, and Trump's brilliant business acumen would prove them wrong.

The Republicans are Lucy, the economy is the football, and the GOP voters are Charlie Brown.... it's always the same result, and yet they never learn.  Predictable as clockwork and guaranteed to fall flat on their face with every attempt.
Don't look at me.  I never thought for a second that he was going to lower the deficit.  That's why (or, at least one of the reasons) I DIDN'T VOTE FOR HIM.

As for "every economist"... not Krugman.  He predicted a recession would begin right after Trump's inauguration.  And he's (supposedly) the liberal "go-to" guy for the economy (which would explain why they are so bad at it).

As for the economy itself: although the deficit is too high... as is spending... the economy doesn't seem to be affected by it (right now, anyway).  In addition to RECORD low unemployment, the other economic indicators are all (mostly?) pointing in the right direction.  That's why- as of now- Trump is predicted to be re-elected by a landslide.  It certainly isn't because people think he's great at tweeting.

Quote: @"pumpf" said:

Don't look at me.  I never thought for a second that he was going to lower the deficit.  That's why (or, at least one of the reasons) I DIDN'T VOTE FOR HIM.

As for "every economist"... not Krugman.  He predicted a recession would begin right after Trump's inauguration.  And he's (supposedly) the liberal "go-to" guy for the economy (which would explain why they are so bad at it).

As for the economy itself: although the deficit is too high... as is spending... the economy doesn't seem to be affected by it (right now, anyway).  In addition to RECORD low unemployment, the other economic indicators are all (mostly?) pointing in the right direction.  That's why- as of now- Trump is predicted to be re-elected by a landslide.  It certainly isn't because people think he's great at tweeting.
Deep State economists were predicting a recession because the Federal Reserve was planning on increasing interest rates, which would decrease debt creation (monetary supply creation) which causes a recession.  They were trying to cause a recession to sabotage Trump.  Trump repeatedly called out them and dog whistled that he was going to expose them for their role in causing recessions and I don't think they wanted to call his bluff on that one, and they kept interest rates low.  Trump is keeping the economy up by taking on debt himself (the government).  There is no president that will ever lower the deficit for any real length of time, because they depend on the economy for public approval.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
@"pumpf" said:

Deep State economists were predicting a recession because the Federal Reserve was planning on increasing interest rates, which would decrease debt creation (monetary supply creation) which causes a recession.  They were trying to cause a recession to sabotage Trump.  Trump repeatedly called out them and dog whistled that he was going to expose them for their role in causing recessions and I don't think they wanted to call his bluff on that one, and they kept interest rates low.  Trump is keeping the economy up by taking on debt himself (the government).  There is no president that will ever lower the deficit for any real length of time, because they depend on the economy for public approval.

Interesting theory ... except that Trump chose these appointees for the Federal Reserve himself.  But you're saying his own chosen ones were trying to sabotage him?  How can that be, when he's promised to only hire the best people?

LOL

It's shit like this where I have to pause and wonder how exhausting it must be to continually conjure up these conspiracy theories that it's never Trump's fault, always someone else's.  The Dems, the media, the deep state, there's always some scapegoat he's battling. 

So were they secret double agents to begin with who planned on sabotaging Trump from the start before being nominated, or did the deep state "get to them" after they were nominated?  I'm genuinely fascinated how this scenario plays out in the Trumper alternative universe some of you inhabit.

I think it’s perfectly fair to question my statement
regarding the motives of those that control the Fed.  We obviously can’t tell what they’re thinking
behind the scenes.  I do think we can
pretty clearly tell that Trump hasn’t been happy with what they’ve been doing.  I think this article describes the flavor of
it reasonably well.  You can also look up
the interest rates over time, and the interest rates were super low during the
Obama administration, and they started talking about raising rates right around
the time Trump was elected and then the actual rates going up over Trump’s
tenure.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/07/02/trump-says-he-will-nominate-christopher-waller-judy-shelton-reshape-federal-reserve-board/Regarding conspiracy theories, I think our entire political news situation is dominated by conspiracy theories and it’s no longer a dirty word right now.  We no longer wait for all the facts, we just shoot from the hip.  Just look at the Russiagate situation.  That’s a pretty textbook conspiracy theory.  It was a theory of Trump conspiring with Russia, based on a small amount of information.  People decided then to investigate it to gather more information.  Same thing with Trump and Ukraine.  Trump is conspiring with Ukraine says a person.  People decided then to investigate it to gather more information.  You have Hillary trying to claim that Jill Stein and Tulsi Gabbert are Russian assets.  Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me.  I think really we just have to decide, where are we not having enough transparency in our government, not enough information, and how do we get more transparency.  There’s so much finger pointing in government, and so many swampy characters in Washington, that there should be many more investigations than just into Trump or Trump adjacent characters, so we can take conspiracy theories and get more information about them.