Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpEd: Vikings have Absolutely no reason to trade Diggs...
Vikings Have Absolutely No Reason to Trade Stefon Diggs Despite Rumors
Stefon Diggs appears unhappy with the Minnesota Vikings. So what? 
The wide receiver holds no leverage whatsoever to force a trade. That didn't stop him from missing practice Wednesday for non-injury-related reasons, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport. The Minneapolis Star Tribune's Ben Goesslingadded Diggs wasn't in the building Monday, either, because of a growing "disenchantment with the organization." 
In other words, he's pouting when he should be trying to help his team improve.
Diggs explained the absence away Thursday when he told reporters he had a cold, though he didn't quash recent trade rumors. 
"I feel there's truth to all rumors no matter how dress you it up," Diggs added, per the St. Paul Pioneer PressChris Tomasson. "I won't be saying nothing on it. I won't be speaking on it at all. But there is truth to all rumors, I guess."
As of now, the Vikings have "no plans" of trading the 25-year-old, per NBC Sports Boston's Tom E. Curran. A source from an organization interested in Diggs told ESPN's Josina Anderson that "they were informed" the wide receiver would not be traded. 
Everyone has a price, though. 
Rapoport qualified his report by stating the Vikings are "adamant" they won't trade Diggs, "barring some massive deal." 
To sum up the current situation: Minnesota doesn't want to trade Diggs and won't actively try to do so unless another team offers a significant windfall, which is highly unlikely.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2856...ce=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

Diggs isn't looking at himself; he's pointing a finger at others. He isn't doing so by being overly vocal or dramatic, but his actions speak far louder than any excuse he gave to the media Thursday. 

All relationships experience ups and downs. Right now, the Vikings and Diggs aren't on the same page. Hell, the entire offense isn't on the same page. 

The problem will correct itself by the entire unit coming together. Diggs must realize he's part of the possible solution. 
Even if he doesn't, the Vikings shouldn't entertain the idea of trading a 25-year-old elite route-runner with four years remaining on his current contract, barring a godfather offer. Despite their recent offensive struggles, they're far better with him than without. 

When the Vikings have a stranglehold on last place in the North, I would try to trade him for a high enough draft pick to go after the QB of the future. Move up to pick a QB with the first pick. Take a WR at number two. Or sign a free agent wide receiver. Get some cap relief and retool. This defense will start losing players in a year or two so some rebuilding is inevitable.

Quote: @jargomcfargo said:
When the Vikings have a stranglehold on last place in the North, I would try to trade him for a high enough draft pick to go after the QB of the future. Move up to pick a QB with the first pick. Take a WR at number two. Or sign a free agent wide receiver. Get some cap relief and retool. This defense will start losing players in a year or two so some rebuilding is inevitable.
even with a new QB it will take a year or 2 to get to where we need to compete most likley,  start looking at every player under contract that is at their peak or even slightly past it and consider them trade fodder as they likely wont be able to offer much once the new QB ( and dont forget we still need a couple more pieces on that OL ) are ready to start to compete.  hanging onto short term quality players will only lead to some mediocre years that will hinger our draft position as they try to reload to cupboards as well as not getting any value out of those players aside from selling a few tickets.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@jargomcfargo said:
even with a new QB it will take a year or 2 to get to where we need to compete most likley,  start looking at every player under contract that is at their peak or even slightly past it and consider them trade fodder as they likely wont be able to offer much once the new QB ( and dont forget we still need a couple more pieces on that OL ) are ready to start to compete.  hanging onto short term quality players will only lead to some mediocre years that will hinger our draft position as they try to reload to cupboards as well as not getting any value out of those players aside from selling a few tickets.
I agree. And the first move would be to bring in a new GM and coach first to make that QB pick.
I'm not in favor of firing either at this time. But if they don't get this season turned around, and heading in the right direction, I think they have had their chance, and won't get it done.

The coverage of Diggs this week has been complete garbage. All the baiting questions and manipulation of the narrative has been absolutely ridiculous. You trade a weapon of that caliber you are dumb as hell. Unless you get something amazing. I would be disgusted if he was traded. The difference in the Thielen comment coverage and the Diggs comments are pathetic. They have 2 of the best receivers in the league and a unique talent at running back, they have to make the most of the talent. Zimmer has called out players repeatedly. I don't have any issues with what Diggs or Thielen said. It's the truth. Diggs is a centerpiece of the Minneapolis miracle. I really hope Cousins and the OL can get things sorted out. I feel like both Thielen and Diggs are saying that they can help the team win. And they can, the team can't be one dimensional.