Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antone Exum is going to make this team as backup nickel CB
He's supposedly been surprisingly good in that new position during camp. Strong and feisty. Good coverage. 

So.Exum can go from looking as lost on the field as virtually any player I can ever remember as a Safety but switching positions and more time to develop seems to be helping him earn a roster spot.

I wonder if that could apply to someone on the O-Line?

The vast majority of time, when you here guys are being tried at a different position in camp, it usually means they aren't going to cut it at their main position so you give them a shot at another.  I really don't think guys like Ham at FB or Exum at CB are going to make the team but maybe they can catch on somewhere else.  Too early to tell of course but to me a switch does not usually mean a positive...kinda like Clemmings being tried at Guard.  

Over Newman...? Exum is currently listed as the 3rd string FS.

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
How many DBs do we keep?

Rhodes, Waynes, Alexander are starters.  Newman and sherels seem pretty safe.  I think we keep 1 more CB type and if it is Exum, he can fill in at safety if needed. 

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"Kentis" said:
How many DBs do we keep?

Rhodes, Waynes, Alexander are starters.  Newman and sherels seem pretty safe.  I think we keep 1 more CB type and if it is Exum, he can fill in at safety if needed. 
I'm not sure how many, I read that Newman has been practicing at all the DB positions including some safety.

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
I'm not sure how many, I read that Newman has been practicing at all the DB positions including some safety.
Newman is basically the 4th starter.  He could step in at slot, outside or at safety.  So no question he makes it.  If Exum can learn the slot, I think he makes it because he would be a versatile backup.  He has talent, just hasn't been disciplined enough to be a regular for Zimmer.  Sherels is possibly KR as well as PR and gunner and a veteran backup. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
He's supposedly been surprisingly good in that new position during camp. Strong and feisty. Good coverage. 
It's TC and there hasn't been a preseason game yet and the roster isn't set. Anything can happen.

When folks suggest a guy may make the team I immediately consider if a given player could possibly displace and steal snaps from a player in front of them on the depth chart. 

IMHO the position that would be more difficult than the Vikings Secondary would be Defensive line. 

I wish Exum the best and hope he pulls it off. But man, that's gonna be tough. 

I just don't see Exum making the roster...he's spend the last 3 years and given numerous opportunities to claim the safety spot.  But, all he has accomplished in those 3 years is finding his way to the injured reserve list.
I wish him well on his next team.

i dont really see this happening,  he shows up on special teams and doesnt completely suck at S,  but unless something really changes this is a tough sell IMO.