Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimsu loves his LB's...
In Zimmer’s first five seasons as the Vikings’ head coach, the team has often stockpiled pass rushers and cornerbacks while trying to make do with its options behind Anthony Barr and Eric Kendricks at linebacker. Before the coach’s sixth season, that paradigm could be changing.
Zimmer called the Vikings’ linebacker group on Tuesday the team’s best “since I have been here, depthwise,” adding there’s a possibility of the team keeping as many as seven and having all of them active on game days this fall.
The secondary’s depth, on the other hand, has flagged as Mike Hughes recovers from knee surgery and Holton Hill faces an eight-game suspension this fall.
“I don’t know that we’re real deep in the secondary,” Zimmer said.
“So that might lend itself to [keeping an extra linebacker]. We may keep an extra defensive lineman, less in the secondary and maybe keep one less running back.
“It will all work out.
”http://www.startribune.com/dan-bailey-kaare-vedik-matt-wile-vikings-still-have-no-clarity-in-kicking-game/540560852/

He's got some decent depth with some guys that can run, Cliett seems to have cut himself out a niche with the team.

That's good to hear because he wasn't all that enthused with our LB depth last season.  It seems like Wilson, Downs, and Brothers have taken steps forward and Cameron Smith and Cliett are doing some good things. 

I hope like heck we don't keep 7 LBs on the active roster...  considering how little teams are in their base defense over the course of a season, we'd be sacrificing 1-2 spots at other positions where we could use some depth.

I thought there were some obvious problems with the LBers vs. N.O.  I was not impressed by Gedeon, Smith, Brothers, or Downs.  In fact, after Kendricks and Barr, I'm not sure we have a third LBer I would trust on the field in a regular season game. Maybe Wilson; maybe. 
Perhaps Smith, Downs, and Cliett are young and inexperienced enough that they can still develop into good players.  But this would be going on hope and faith and prayers.  I've seen enough of Gedeon to say this is as good as he can be given his limitations.  He is s-l-o-w.  And Smith looks to be about the same guy.  Brothers? No thanks.  He is purely a special teams guy. 
I would use Kearse as a LBer on passing downs over anyone besides our top 2. I'm obviously not seeing what Zimmer is seeing. I think our LB depth is awful. I think Zimmer is blowing smoke.

I think Wilson and Brothers are just a step under Gedeon and we'd likely lose nothing if one of those two had to play in his place. But I have a hunch that what Zimmer is talking about is the young depth like Downs, Smith, Cliett and Martini. And I'd put them in that order.