Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF.com: Zimmer tweaked D when Anthony Harris became the starter

Some nice stats put up by Harris.  But I will add this, I don't know that it was Harris that prompted the tweak, I think it was the Rams exposing the scheme Zimmer was running.  Wasn't that week 4?  And after that tweak, our D really played solid.

Quote: @greediron said:
Some nice stats put up by Harris.  But I will add this, I don't know that it was Harris that prompted the tweak, I think it was the Rams exposing the scheme Zimmer was running.  Wasn't that week 4?  And after that tweak, our D really played solid.
That game disgusted me and shook my confidence for the season (rightly so). To see the offense perform well and the D just get destroyed and owned the way it did I knew would be more than a blip. But to your point, Zimmer did change things up eventually and they played much better....but it took awhile.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@greediron said:
That game disgusted me and shook my confidence for the season (rightly so). To see the offense perform well and the D just get destroyed and owned the way it did I knew would be more than a blip. But to your point, Zimmer did change things up eventually and they played much better....but it took awhile.

Lesson learned...Hopefully Zimmer will pay more attention to detail with each team we play and avoid these situations with better results.

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
@StickyBun said:
@greediron said:

Lesson learned...Hopefully Zimmer will pay more attention to detail with each team we play and avoid these situations with better results.
Lol, I think Zimmer pays plenty off attention to detail.
And I think McVay had that matchup circled since we kicked their ass the previous year.  He had something special designed to exploit our d explicitly. 

But for Zimmer, it was the point when he fully realized his scheme changes were not going to work with the current rules.  Kudos to him for changing it up midseason. 

@ArizonaViking said:
@StickyBun said:
@greediron said:

And I think McVay had that matchup circled since we kicked their ass the previous year.  He had something special designed to exploit our d explicitly. 

But for Zimmer, it was the point when he fully realized his scheme changes were not going to work with the current rules.  Kudos to him for changing it up midseason. 
I also think San Fran had a good game plan, but they got behind too early to pull it off. The young offensive guys solved it, especially the Rams and that was the blueprint for the other teams until Zimmer finally figured out how to counter it. So I do give Z credit, but it took him a few games past midseason until he turned it back around defensively. But he definitely fixed it, which was impressive. The old dog can learn some new tricks after all. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@greediron said:
@ArizonaViking said:
@StickyBun said:
@greediron said:

I also think San Fran had a good game plan, but they got behind too early to pull it off. The young offensive guys solved it, especially the Rams and that was the blueprint for the other teams until Zimmer finally figured out how to counter it. So I do give Z credit, but it took him a few games past midseason until he turned it back around defensively. But he definitely fixed it, which was impressive. The old dog can learn some new tricks after all. 
don't take my point about the Rams having a special incentive to attack our D as a defense of the early season D.  SF, Buffalo, LA and others certainly were exploiting some holes.  The rule changed and that left Zim's D vulnerable.   He isn't an old dog learning new tricks tho, he is the guy writing the book on the new tricks that others copy.  It was just that last years version didn't work out.  I give him immense credit for seeing that and finding a way to resolve it quickly.  How many former coaches would have doubled down on their scheme and refused to change?

@StickyBun said:
@greediron said:
@ArizonaViking said:
@StickyBun said:
@greediron said:

don't take my point about the Rams having a special incentive to attack our D as a defense of the early season D.  SF, Buffalo, LA and others certainly were exploiting some holes.  The rule changed and that left Zim's D vulnerable.   He isn't an old dog learning new tricks tho, he is the guy writing the book on the new tricks that others copy.  It was just that last years version didn't work out.  I give him immense credit for seeing that and finding a way to resolve it quickly.  How many former coaches would have doubled down on their scheme and refused to change?
I agree his scheme changes were good towards the end of last season. I do wish his in game changes were a little swifter at times. I have no complaints really with how he's handled the defensive side of our game. I agree after watching Frazier stumble around trying to force a Tampa 2 without the LB's or DB's to pull it off. How could I complain about what Mike has put together?  I sure wouldn't want to return to 32 ranked defense. Historically embarrassing stuck in the 90's football. If Mike could just find someone to run the offense close to as well as he runs his unit we are in for some good times. Maybe this newest mix is it.
It's an odd number year for Mike's Vikes...You all know what that means right?
Playoffs baby!
SKOL!!!