Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drafted player to watch for Minnesota: WR Dillon Mitchell
JMO. I don't why the kid slid as far as he did, but I know he has some red flags for not working hard enough or responding to coaching super well. But if he can have that 'get it' moment as a pro and put in the work, he's got some talent. Needs to get stronger. He had some strong moments, especially against Washington. Big time high school recruit.

Mitchell reminds me of Stacy Coley: very talented and probably shocked he was drafted so late - and some of the same concerns. Coley had enough flashes to earn a roster spot as a rookie, but didn't really sustain the effort and grow. He's probably more explosive than anyone else competing for #3 WR, so the opportunity is wide open.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
JMO. I don't why the kid slid as far as he did, but I know he has some red flags for not working hard enough or responding to coaching super well. But if he can have that 'get it' moment as a pro and put in the work, he's got some talent. Needs to get stronger. He had some strong moments, especially against Washington. Big time high school recruit.
Yeah, with all the complaining about Rick trading back in the 3rd round...  a couple of our late round picks haven't gotten much attention.  This kid might surprise us once training camp rolls around.  Thin-framed, but a good athlete...  slippery after the catch...  reminds me a little of Diggs with the way he can stop/start to slip past a defender.  I've seen some recent quotes from him where he has a "chip on his shoulder" after falling to the 7th round.  We'll see if that motivates him...  if it does, he has a chance to be a nice find at WR. 

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Yeah, with all the complaining about Rick trading back in the 3rd round...  a couple of our late round picks haven't gotten much attention.  This kid might surprise us once training camp rolls around.  Thin-framed, but a good athlete...  slippery after the catch...  reminds me a little of Diggs with the way he can stop/start to slip past a defender.  I've seen some recent quotes from him where he has a "chip on his shoulder" after falling to the 7th round.  We'll see if that motivates him...  if it does, he has a chance to be a nice find at WR. 
honestly though,  is there a more over used cliche than chip on shoulder? so many say it,  but so few ever really show the heart and drive to do anything about it.  most often what dropped them to the later rounds is the lack of drive or professionalism that will show itself as soon as they get any sense of comfort.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:

honestly though,  is there a more over used cliche than chip on shoulder? so many say it,  but so few ever really show the heart and drive to do anything about it.  most often what dropped them to the later rounds is the lack of drive or professionalism that will show itself as soon as they get any sense of comfort.
There are a ton of over-used cliches...  but I'll give the kid a chance.  He has some talent and the situation is set up perfectly for him.  He has a coach who appreciates (and demands) hard work and he has a chance to learn from two great WRs.  Both of whom were overlooked on draft day and had to work for everything they've earned on the field...  none of this means Mitchell will turn into anything, but it's a nice situation for him.

We'll see what happens.

WR 3-5 (or 6) will be a very interesting battle to watch. I think we have 11 WRs in camp? Does Treadwell make the team? Beebe looks like a keeper and this Jordan Taylor kid from Denver has piqued my interest. I don't think it was mentioned here but apparently Houston tried to steal Jeff Badet away and the Vikings gave him an enormous signing bonus to stay. Has to be a reason for that. Maybe it's that 4.27 forty. Then you have like a half dozen others. Draft picks like Mitchell and Olabisi, along with last year's Mr. Mankato candidate, Zylstra. Throw in Davis, Hollins and we might just get Tread-not-so-well off the team. 

This guy had a killer statistical year; 75 receptions for 1184 yards and 10 TDs, and 42 for 517 the season prior. How often do teams draft 75 catch - 1,000 yard WRs in the 7th round?

I feel he should be a lot more rounded than a typical 7th round WR. He comes from a big time program with almost 2 years worth of experience. It's not like we need to solve a vague puzzle on why he didn't perform well or why his numbers weren't where they should have been.  He's more of a veteran prospect than a raw undeveloped prospect.

It seems scouts felt he needed to "grow up" during the process - there are some articles about how coaches couldn't get through to him with on field stuff. Perhaps it's true; perhaps some of it is overblown because his testing times/scores suggest he shouldn't be good. I think sometimes when teams are holding combine grades in one hand and stats in the other, they'll use this kind of stuff just to tip it to call it.

We can't see production until September so... first box i'd like to see him check is the one next to character concerns; prove he is coachable and that he isn't living up to the reputation made seems to have made this offseason. If he proves to not be that guy i'm excited about what he could show as a WR. I love the idea of a #3 WR that produces and Mitchell has the numbers to suggest he can do that...