Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I had to work today...How's everyone feeling to-date about the haul???
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I'm actually overwhelmed. Enormous draft class. It's daunting. It's like Christmas when you're 8 years old. So many new toys to play with you forget about some. 

2019 will be remembered as the year we got Garrett Bradbury and Irv Smith, Jr. This Kubiak offense is going to be exciting to watch. Going into day 3, the two players that I probably wanted most were Dru Samia and Oli Udoh and we got them both. 

Oddly, the pick that I keep coming back to is Mad Dog Mattison. Was not a fan of the trade down and my first reaction to the pick was "WHO???" I only looked at a handful of RBs this year and he was not one of them. But after learning more about him, I might be more excited about this player than any of them.
A lot of new toys, but Dad bought most of them at the dollar store and they aren't as nice once we unwrap them. Yes, some good players, but the Vikings' history with picks after the first few rounds suggest it could be a 4-player or even 2-player draft. But yeah, I can't help joining the enthusiasm... Udoh looks like a good prospect in a spot where we need him. Watts and Epps have potential but might get crowded out. Boyd might get a roster spot for the first month just due to Hill and Hughes being out.
My least favorite pick is Cameron Smith. Most descriptions are something like, "reliable 2-down LB" - well, that means "situational 1-down player", and with Gedeon on the team, it means ST body. Spielman needs to find a way to package some of his lower picks and get up into the 4th or early 5th - but he seems to be in the NFL to let other GMs do that.

If we got 4 players per draft we’d be perannual superbowp champs. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:

Oh good! Current roster has 4+ from each of the last 4 drafts (6 each from the last 3!) and further back we had similar results but some have left when their first contracts finished. Where do we keep our Lombardi trophies?

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@AGRforever said:

Oh good! Current roster has 4+ from each of the last 4 drafts (6 each from the last 3!) and further back we had similar results but some have left when their first contracts finished. Where do we keep our Lombardi trophies?

Quote: @njvike said:
@Jor-El said:
@AGRforever said:

Never considered your chirping to sound like a cricket.  More like a constant scraping of metal on a chalk board.

A lot is being made of the 3rd round pick. If I get a read of RS correctly, 1. he knows who he wants and is willing to pick them there! 2. The fact he knew he was reaching a little for this one helped him be able to trade back and get some extra picks! and/or 3. RS caught wind of the rumors someone else was going to snag him in the 4th and wanted to make sure he got him...Anyways, he may have been a bit of a reach, but if he becomes a productive player and fulfills his place on the team, no reach at all IMO!

Quote: @greediron said:
@njvike said:
@Jor-El said:
@AGRforever said:

Never considered your chirping to sound like a cricket.  More like a constant scraping of metal on a chalk board.
AAAAAAND, once AGAIN, go to personal insults because you have no intelligent reponse.

Well done, jackass. Well done!

Quote: @Calminnfan said:
A lot is being made of the 3rd round pick. If I get a read of RS correctly, 1. he knows who he wants and is willing to pick them there! 2. The fact he knew he was reaching a little for this one helped him be able to trade back and get some extra picks! and/or 3. RS caught wind of the rumors someone else was going to snag him in the 4th and wanted to make sure he got him...Anyways, he may have been a bit of a reach, but if he becomes a productive player and fulfills his place on the team, no reach at all IMO!
Agree with most of what you said.  I've seen responses by other posters that there were a number of other RBs available that we could have taken later and that's why they didn't like this pick (calling it a reach). 

Well, this kid looks like a guy who can be a 3-down RB.  Most of the RBs that went after the Mattison pick seem like scatback/change of pace RBs...  size concerns, injury concerns, etc.  Once you get past the first 100 picks, if you can find a 3-down RB, that is a good pick and great draft value. 

We'll see what Mattison does, but sometimes we all focus too much on the perceived "depth" that is left at a position instead of focusing on specific players and how they might fit into our offense.

Quote: @njvike said:
@greediron said:
@njvike said:
@Jor-El said:
@AGRforever said:

AAAAAAND, once AGAIN, go to personal insults because you have no intelligent reponse.

Well done, jackass. Well done!
And you go to projection immediately.
My "reponse" was an observation.  You turn to personal insults.  But at least we know why.