Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parris Campbell?
Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
This kid is a super athlete. Elite physical traits. Would be a multi-dimensional threat. If they didn't go OL, I'd be fine with this guy. That's how much I think his upside is. Very fast and shifty. Likes to block at the position. Solid build.

Maybe I am nervous about Campbell because the first comp I ever saw for him was "Cordarelle Patterson" and the second was "Percy Harvin". I know those were meant to be flattering, but both those WRs bring thoughts to Vikings fans that are......complicated...
But that's exactly who he is. He's a gadget player. His coach at OSU was Urban Meyer, who was Harvin's coach at Florida. They play the same role. You can get everything Campbell does in a more traditional receiver by taking Deebo Samuel IMO. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
This kid is a super athlete. Elite physical traits. Would be a multi-dimensional threat. If they didn't go OL, I'd be fine with this guy. That's how much I think his upside is. Very fast and shifty. Likes to block at the position. Solid build.

Maybe I am nervous about Campbell because the first comp I ever saw for him was "Cordarelle Patterson" and the second was "Percy Harvin". I know those were meant to be flattering, but both those WRs bring thoughts to Vikings fans that are......complicated...
But that's exactly who he is. He's a gadget player. His coach at OSU was Urban Meyer, who was Harvin's coach at Florida. They play the same role. You can get everything Campbell does in a more traditional receiver by taking Deebo Samuel IMO. 
I would vastly prefer Samuel, though there has been late 1st round hype around him lately, so there's a decent chance that he's not there at 50.

As for Campbell, I'm weary of drafting another gadget player that high. We got impact out of both Harvin and Patterson, but neither of them could ever master route running and you really had to force them touches to get the most out of them. Maybe the questionable route running is less of a concern with secondaries needing to pay so much attention to both Diggs & Thielen, which is a benefit that neither Harvin nor Patterson ever had, but I'd rather have a guy who's a strong router runner and who could maybe even stretch the field vertically. Also, rule changes in the return game have really seem like they've limited the impact a strong returner can make, so he'll be unlikely to make the same sort of impact as Harvin or Patterson in the return game. I'm not saying that he's a bad player, but we've been down this road before. We'll get some great moments out of a guy like Campbell, but it's unlikely that he'll ever master route running and become more than a gadget player.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

If Campbell is Harvin without the mental issues and migraines, i could take that, because I think Percy was a better receiver (natural hands) and route runner - his development was limited by our overuse of bubble screens.