Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bigger need: DE or 3T?
I'm sure they'll draft one of each but what is the bigger need? My assumption all along has been that we really need an upgrade at 3T, but unless we take that guy in the 1st round, I just don't know if there's much of a point considering Stephen, and two 4th rounders in Jaleel and Holmes. DE might actually be the higher draft priority. Griffen is a question mark. Behind him we have some promising developmental types in Weatherly (7th), Bower (FA), Odenigbo (7th), and Aruna (6th), but not a lot we can count on. 

Just my two cents but a DT with some ability to get up the field is probably the larger need in the short-term. I personally am pretty high on Jaleel Johnson but still feel another guy who has that quick first step could help keep opposing offensive lines off balance. 

DE is still a need though long-term. Everson should be solid but at best maybe he is back in 2020? Weatherly has been good and should hopefully be resigned. That makes DE more of a depth addition but they're pretty thin behind Weatherly. 

Big wild-card is Holmes. Most view him as a DT but personally I think that he is better served at DE. If they view him as a DT I would probably say DE is more of a need. Vice-versa if they view him as a DE. But need doesn't always dictate the order they'll draft. If the O-lineman are gone by #18 and for example Montez Sweat is sitting there he is the best value. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
Just my two cents but a DT with some ability to get up the field is probably the larger need in the short-term. I personally am pretty high on Jaleel Johnson but still feel another guy who has that quick first step could help keep opposing offensive lines off balance. 

DE is still a need though long-term. Everson should be solid but at best maybe he is back in 2020? Weatherly has been good and should hopefully be resigned. That makes DE more of a depth addition but they're pretty thin behind Weatherly. 

Big wild-card is Holmes. Most view him as a DT but personally I think that he is better served at DE. If they view him as a DT I would probably say DE is more of a need. Vice-versa if they view him as a DE. But need doesn't always dictate the order they'll draft. If the O-lineman are gone by #18 and for example Montez Sweat is sitting there he is the best value. 
Yeah, there are certain players that transcend all need. One would be Sweat. Another would be Oliver IMO. But the reason I ask is I frequently see Brian Burns fall to 18. BIG disagreement on him among scouts. Rashan Gary could fall there. Lack of a consensus on him, too. Clelin Ferrell likely WILL be there. Just wonder how tempted the Vikings will be to go DE if certain OLs are off the board. 

Guys that collapse the pocket from the middle just simply destroy offenses.  The outside rush is importantant, but good QBs can step up in the pocket to avoid that outside rush more often than not.  But guys like Arnold, Hicks, and Cox stop the QB from being comfortable and stepping into their throws.  The good DTs can also wreck running plays as well.

We thought we had one with Richardson, but he wasn't anywhere as good as advertised.  I say a stud DT is a much more pressing need than another speed edge DE.

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
Guys that collapse the pocket from the middle just simply destroy offenses.  The outside rush is importantant, but good QBs can step up in the pocket to avoid that outside rush more often than not.  But guys like Arnold, Hicks, and Cox stop the QB from being comfortable and stepping into their throws.  The good DTs can also wreck running plays as well.

We thought we had one with Richardson, but he wasn't anywhere as good as advertised.  I say a stud DT is a much more pressing need than another speed edge DE.
I would agree with putting 3T over DE typically, but given our roster, the players we have at each position, I think DE might be as big, if not bigger, need. Just depends on which players you're talking about. For example, if we had our choice between the best 3T and the best DE in this draft, I'd choose the 3T without question. But if we're talking about 3rd rounders, I'm pretty sure I'd do the opposite. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"HappyViking" said:

I would agree with putting 3T over DE typically, but given our roster, the players we have at each position, I think DE might be as big, if not bigger, need. Just depends on which players you're talking about. For example, if we had our choice between the best 3T and the best DE in this draft, I'd choose the 3T without question. But if we're talking about 3rd rounders, I'm pretty sure I'd do the opposite. 
Just going off your "bigger need" question, I'd say 3T for sure.  The cupboard seems kind of bare now that Richardson is gone.  Not sure if Johnson or anyone else is ready to step up and prove to be a valuable starter.  We do have Hunter, Griff, and Weatherby as proven DEs, so I'm more comfortable with those guys.

3T...we've got journeyman caliber talent there...of course, we had a very good season with journeyman caliber 3T before, but I'd like to see what our ends could do with a guy who can consistently get a QB off his spot...