Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supafreak84's Mock Draft 1.0
Just a few thoughts here as the draft gets closer and the direction I could see the team going on draft day:

TRADE: I think the Vikings are in a great position to move down in the draft and still get a quality player.  I think the target is an offensive lineman and the difference between who will be on the board at #18 isn't hugely different from what you can get by dropping down a bit in terms of quality. For the purposes of this draft I have them trading down with New England (32) and the Vikings picking up one of the Patriots second round picks (56).  The Patriots have the most picks in the draft and it makes sense for them to move up for someone like Hockenson to replace Gronkowski or to acquire a premium pass rusher. 

Draft:

1 (32) Chris Lindstrom, G Boston College- I'm with guru on this pick here.  Lindstrom is a plug and play guard from day one. Great athlete, moves well in space, and is scheme diverse.  Has the size to hold up against bigger lineman and is a finisher on run blocks. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kvJeaWGq9M 

2 (50) Deionte Thompson, S Alabama- We lost a couple safeties in free agency and there isn't much now behind now starter Anthony Harris. Thompson is well schooled and has the size and range to challenge to start right away. Punishing tackler in the Harrison Smith mold.

2 (56) Hakeem Butler, WR Iowa State- I'm of the opinion that we need more out of the 3rd WR position then what Treadwell has been able to provide heading into his last season in Minnesota. Butler is a 6'5"/228 pound freak that ran 4.48 at the combine. Put up a huge year for the Cyclones.  Will have the occasional drop but capable of making spectacular catches with his monster catch radius. Would give the Vikings a different type of receiver and an immediate red zone threat. 

3 (81) Lonnie Johnson, CB Kentucky- A Zimmer favorite, who he spent time with at the Kentucky Pro Day working on technique. Long (6'3"/206) and ran 4.52 with a 38" vertical at the combine. The Vikings always stock pile cornerbacks and I expect this year to be no different with Trae Waynes possibly on the way out after this season. 

4 (120) Dexter Williams, RB Notre Dame- The Vikings have to get a quality backup to often injured starter Dalvin Cook. Williams brings some of the same qualities to the table as a big play threat.  Catches the ball well out of the backfield and has the size (5'11"/215) to bang it between the tackles. Had a ton of long runs this year for Note Dame after coming back from suspension. 

6 (190) Alex Bars, G Notre Dame- Versatile big man (6'6"/312) who has played both guard and tackle for Notre Dame. Athletic and well coached. More of a waller then a finisher as a run blocker. Can get to the second level on pulls and has great awareness for the position. Will add depth and quality competition in Minnesota. 

6 (209) Trey Pipkins, OT Sioux Falls- Small school player who has the size and athletic traits to be coached up. Needs to get stronger (16 reps) in the weight room and might need to spend a year on the practice squad before he can legitimately compete for a roster spot, but he has the tools to do so. Project player.

7 (247) Gardner Minshaw, QB Washington State- To me our backup QB situation is a little unsettled and doesn't breed a lot of confidence should Cousins go down, so making a QB selection at some point makes sense.  Minshaw is a bit of gunslinger who comes from a run and shoot system for the Cougars, but he has arm talent and plays with some edge. He will compete for a roster spot.

7 (250) PJ Johnson, DT Arizona- Junior college transfer who played one year at Arizona. Great size (6'4"/335) who was athletic enough to play the 5 technique in the Wildcats 3-4 front.  Racked up 11 starts with 8.5 tackles for loss and 3 sacks. To me the Vikings got man handled up front last season and need to get bigger in the middle. 

Love the trade down and grabbing Lindstrom. Plug and play LG, least amount of disruption to the current starters.

I wouldn't take a safety that high. I really like Ant Harris as a starter. We need depth though so I'd move that position down into day 3. I want to like Hakeem Butler so bad. He is a total freak. Nobody that big should run whip routes that leave corners hobbled on the ground. But, man, the drops. I think I heard 16% drop rate.  That scares me. That's the sort of thing that doesn't improve in the NFL. I avoid the big sexy temptation here and go with a really high floor player in Deebo.

I like Pipkins a lot. Getting a ton of buzz right now, but I'd move the tackle up higher and hope for a Tytus Howard or a Max Scharping or a Chuma Edoga in the 3rd or 4th round. Love Minshew. Can't remember who was talking about him at the Senior Bowl but apparently he's the kind of guy who, when he enters a room or a huddle or whatever, he commands everyone's attention. Got real leadership qualities. I like that in a late round flyer QB. 

I like this mock quite a bit. Sneaky choice to take a WR in the 2nd vs. a TE anywhere. If the Vikings pass on a TE earlier they could opt to pick a WR just because there is also quite a bit of depth at that position as well. 

Agree with Maroon that Thompson in the 2nd is maybe a bit early for my liking. Hard to say who I would swap out but if you had the additional 2nd round selection I would probably go D-line in some capacity (DE or DT). I really like Lonnie Johnson as a player and the Vikings have a sneaky need at CB if they don't intend to resign either of Waynes or Mac. What about Hooker in the 3rd? Although a safety he can play the big nickel immediately and would be elite on ST's. Just a thought. 

Swap Thompson for David Montgomery and Williams for Terrill Hanks and you'd be perfect...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Swap Thompson for David Montgomery and Williams for Terrill Hanks and you'd be perfect...
I'd go for that  B)

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
I like this mock quite a bit. Sneaky choice to take a WR in the 2nd vs. a TE anywhere. If the Vikings pass on a TE earlier they could opt to pick a WR just because there is also quite a bit of depth at that position as well. 

Agree with Maroon that Thompson in the 2nd is maybe a bit early for my liking. Hard to say who I would swap out but if you had the additional 2nd round selection I would probably go D-line in some capacity (DE or DT). I really like Lonnie Johnson as a player and the Vikings have a sneaky need at CB if they don't intend to resign either of Waynes or Mac. What about Hooker in the 3rd? Although a safety he can play the big nickel immediately and would be elite on ST's. Just a thought. 
I went with WR over the tight end because we have invested in the TE position already with Rudolph, Morgan, and Conklin who will all be on the roster. The WR cupboard is pretty bare behind Diggs and Thielen. We have got almost no production from a 3rd receiver and Treadwell is almost certainly on his way out the door after this season. 

Same reason I didn't go with a defensive tackle early. Shemar Stephen, Jaleel Johnson, and Jalyn Holmes are all investments we have made that need to start paying off. Even if the 3 of them have to man that other position by committee for a year. I would love to see Johnson step up and grab that spot because physically he is what we want at the position. One name to watch as it relates to Minnesota that would be a very interesting option in the 1st round is Dexter Lawrence. It would be very intriguing to pair him next to Joseph and completely shut things down up the middle for opposing offenses. To me we just got pushed around too much last year on the defensive line and Lawrence would certainly go a long way in addressing that issue. 

I don't like our safety depth at all and I'm not completely sold on the small sample size I have seen from Ant Harris to feel comfortable with him as the long term solution next to Harrison Smith, who just turned 30 himself in February. If we have a chance to at the very least address depth at the position and potentially add a guy who could compete to start and upgrade the position....I'm in on that. 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
Just a few thoughts here as the draft gets closer and the direction I could see the team going on draft day:

TRADE: I think the Vikings are in a great position to move down in the draft and still get a quality player.  I think the target is an offensive lineman and the difference between who will be on the board at #18 isn't hugely different from what you can get by dropping down a bit in terms of quality. For the purposes of this draft I have them trading down with New England (32) and the Vikings picking up one of the Patriots second round picks (56).  The Patriots have the most picks in the draft and it makes sense for them to move up for someone like Hockenson to replace Gronkowski or to acquire a premium pass rusher. 

Draft:

1 (32) Chris Lindstrom, G Boston College- I'm with guru on this pick here.  Lindstrom is a plug and play guard from day one. Great athlete, moves well in space, and is scheme diverse.  Has the size to hold up against bigger lineman and is a finisher on run blocks. 

2 (50) Deionte Thompson, S Alabama- We lost a couple safeties in free agency and there isn't much now behind now starter Anthony Harris. Thompson is well schooled and has the size and range to challenge to start right away. Punishing tackler in the Harrison Smith mold.

2 (56) Hakeem Butler, WR Iowa State- I'm of the opinion that we need more out of the 3rd WR position then what Treadwell has been able to provide heading into his last season in Minnesota. Butler is a 6'5"/228 pound freak that ran 4.48 at the combine. Put up a huge year for the Cyclones.  Will have the occasional drop but capable of making spectacular catches with his monster catch radius. Would give the Vikings a different type of receiver and an immediate red zone threat. 

3 (81) Lonnie Johnson, CB Kentucky- A Zimmer favorite, who he spent time with at the Kentucky Pro Day working on technique. Long (6'3"/206) and ran 4.52 with a 38" vertical at the combine. The Vikings always stock pile cornerbacks and I expect this year to be no different with Trae Waynes possibly on the way out after this season. 

4 (120) Dexter Williams, RB Notre Dame- The Vikings have to get a quality backup to often injured starter Dalvin Cook. Williams brings some of the same qualities to the table as a big play threat.  Catches the ball well out of the backfield and has the size (5'11"/215) to bang it between the tackles. Had a ton of long runs this year for Note Dame after coming back from suspension. 

6 (190) Alex Bars, G Notre Dame- Versatile big man (6'6"/312) who has played both guard and tackle for Notre Dame. Athletic and well coached. More of a waller then a finisher as a run blocker. Can get to the second level on pulls and has great awareness for the position. Will add depth and quality competition in Minnesota. 

6 (209) Trey Pipkins, OT Sioux Falls- Small school player who has the size and athletic traits to be coached up. Needs to get stronger (16 reps) in the weight room and might need to spend a year on the practice squad before he can legitimately compete for a roster spot, but he has the tools to do so. Project player.

7 (247) Gardner Minshaw, QB Washington State- To me our backup QB situation is a little unsettled and doesn't breed a lot of confidence should Cousins go down, so making a QB selection at some point makes sense.  Minshaw is a bit of gunslinger who comes from a run and shoot system for the Cougars, but he has arm talent and plays with some edge. He will compete for a roster spot.

7 (250) PJ Johnson, DT Arizona- Junior college transfer who played one year at Arizona. Great size (6'4"/335) who was athletic enough to play the 5 technique in the Wildcats 3-4 front.  Racked up 11 starts with 8.5 tackles for loss and 3 sacks. To me the Vikings got man handled up front last season and need to get bigger in the middle. 
I haven't really studied corners much, but I looked more into Lonnie Johnson and you're right. This is a Zimmer corner if there ever was one. I don't think we take a corner this high unless we trade Trae but I think that's a very real possibility. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"supafreak84" said:

Draft:

I haven't really studied corners much, but I looked more into Lonnie Johnson and you're right. This is a Zimmer corner if there ever was one. I don't think we take a corner this high unless we trade Trae but I think that's a very real possibility. 
I think our CB situation is a little bit unsettled for as much as we have invested in the position. Hughes is coming off an ACL injury and will likely not be ready until midseason. Hill is suspended the first 4 games of the season and Waynes is entering the last year of his contract. Don't be surprised to see the Vikings take a mid round CB. Johnson and the Houston kid guru had in his mock draft both certainly fit the physical profile.