Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings tried to trade Griff for Zeitler
Many of us speculated that this was in play. What I find interesting is how little things change everything. Griff doesn't lose his mind in that hotel, this trade probably happens. Which means we likely don't keep Barr. Which means the Vikings are looking at LB and Edge in 1st round of draft and not OL. 

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/stat...8776414208

If griff was moved why would they then not keep barr?  Not seeing the correlation. 

Griffen's trade value is nothing great at this point: aged former star and the mental health concerns. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
If griff was moved why would they then not keep barr?  Not seeing the correlation. 
Money. I'm convinced the Vikings didn't expect to keep Barr at all, and upped the offer to him only after they recognized that they would be unable to keep Richardson or close any deal for OL help (Zeitler, James, Saffold).  If the Vikings had lost Richardson AND Barr AND added nothing to the OL things would be pretty desperate going into the draft. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Money. I'm convinced the Vikings didn't expect to keep Barr at all, and upped the offer to him only after they recognized that they would be unable to keep Richardson or close any deal for OL help (Zeitler, James, Saffold).  If the Vikings had lost Richardson AND Barr AND added nothing to the OL things would be pretty desperate going into the draft. 
There is probably a lot of truth in that. The other factor was that of the players the Vikings were scheduled to lose in FA, Barr was going to be by far the toughest to replace. They had an offer around $12M/yr last off-season and when they realized it was going to only take $2M on top of that to retain him it became somewhat of a no brainer. 

And Barr is hardly a consolation prize. I still think when he's used right and motivated, he can change games. Just need to see it more often. 

If by this June we've kept Barr and added skill and depth to the OL? Maybe a 3t with upside? I'm ok with that.

Especially vs the doomsday scenario MB pointed out. 

The Vikings league leaders in the “almost made a good trade” category.