Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zim Says Rhodes Needs To Play Up To His Contract
Quote: @comet52 said:
@StickyBun said:
For me, its do or die for Zimmer and Spielman in 2019, I mean this will be his 7th season, correct? Whether you realize it or not, some Viking's fans are SO willing to settle for less than great. So many rationalizations about this or that....its never been easier for me to distance myself from my Viking fandom as it is now. Same shit, different day until its PROVEN otherwise. Its all wash, rinse and repeat here year after year. 
By that logic ownership are the ones willing to settle.   They are the ones that could can the evil Ricky L'il Spieldork or the hated Mickey Curmudgeon Zimturd.   

Here's your likely reality:  this team wins 10-12 games this year, probably wins a playoff game then loses in the division or championship round.   Wilf extends the evil duo for another 2-3 years and the message board complaints continue to roll in.    

But to reiterate - it's not the fans "settling", it's ownership.   They probably think they are settling for being contenders albeit ones who never win the big one.  Judging on their track record of hiring, they were hopeless prior to evil Rick hiring incompetent Mike, which might be why they'd just assume stick with the current pair.   

15 years of Wilfball has not produced any real contenders outside of renting Brett Favre for a year.   They don't have much in the way of football owner mojo despite the mystifying hero-worship they receive from many in the fanbase.   They built stuff!  They "want" to win!  Hooray!   Yeah o.k. that's great but they don't win when it counts.   The team has it's worst playoff appearance rate in Viking history under their watch. 

That's just what we're stuck with and all the complaining in the world won't change it because they will never sell the team, their plan was stated from day one as inter-generational ownership ala the Mara family who own the Giants.   So get used to Wilfball if you haven't already - aka playoffs?  playoffs?  You're talking about playoffs?!?!   Yes we are Jim Mora, but talk is mostly all we've got here in Viking land.
But hey - the Wilfs are better than Red McCombs!! Mike Zimmer benefits from the same basic logic: he's better than Leslie Frazier!!
This is a tenet of being a Vikings fan: don't compare the teams' ownership and coaching to a standard of excellence - compare to the worst example in past history and applaud the current GM and coach for being better than the worst.
My real fear for 2019 isn't this:

Here's your likely reality:  this team wins 10-12 games this year, probably wins a playoff game then loses in the division or championship round.   Wilf extends the evil duo for another 2-3 years and the message board complaints continue to roll in.

Because the truth is, I could probably suck it up and "endure" an 11-5 season followed by a playoff win. Sure, we would be home for the SB, and there would definitely be some feeling of, "Will we just keep getting close but not go all the way?" and even, "Why are Zimmer's teams only good every other year?", but most of us would accept that, myself included.
My real fear is: This team wins 8-9 games, doesn't make the playoffs.........but the Wilfs STILL extend Spielman and Zimmer for a few more years, because all they really care about is that the team didn't lay a totally embarrassing 5-11 or worse turd of a season. If the bar is only set to staying around .500, we will tread water for a long time.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@comet52 said:
@StickyBun said:
For me, its do or die for Zimmer and Spielman in 2019, I mean this will be his 7th season, correct? Whether you realize it or not, some Viking's fans are SO willing to settle for less than great. So many rationalizations about this or that....its never been easier for me to distance myself from my Viking fandom as it is now. Same shit, different day until its PROVEN otherwise. Its all wash, rinse and repeat here year after year. 
By that logic ownership are the ones willing to settle.   They are the ones that could can the evil Ricky L'il Spieldork or the hated Mickey Curmudgeon Zimturd.   

But to reiterate - it's not the fans "settling", it's ownership.   They probably think they are settling for being contenders albeit ones who never win the big one.  Judging on their track record of hiring, they were hopeless prior to evil Rick hiring incompetent Mike, which might be why they'd just assume stick with the current pair.   

15 years of Wilfball has not produced any real contenders outside of renting Brett Favre for a year.   They don't have much in the way of football owner mojo despite the mystifying hero-worship they receive from many in the fanbase.   They built stuff!  They "want" to win!  Hooray!   Yeah o.k. that's great but they don't win when it counts.   The team has it's worst playoff appearance rate in Viking history under their watch. 

That's just what we're stuck with and all the complaining in the world won't change it because they will never sell the team, their plan was stated from day one as inter-generational ownership ala the Mara family who own the Giants.   So get used to Wilfball if you haven't already - aka playoffs?  playoffs?  You're talking about playoffs?!?!   Yes we are Jim Mora, but talk is mostly all we've got here in Viking land.
But hey - the Wilfs are better than Red McCombs!! Mike Zimmer benefits from the same basic logic: he's better than Leslie Frazier!!
This is a tenet of being a Vikings fan: don't compare the teams' ownership and coaching to a standard of excellence - compare to the worst example in past history and applaud the current GM and coach for being better than the worst.

Because the truth is, I could probably suck it up and "endure" an 11-5 season followed by a playoff win. Sure, we would be home for the SB, and there would definitely be some feeling of, "Will we just keep getting close but not go all the way?" and even, "Why are Zimmer's teams only good every other year?", but most of us would accept that, myself included.
My real fear is: This team wins 8-9 games, doesn't make the playoffs.........but the Wilfs STILL extend Spielman and Zimmer for a few more years, because all they really care about is that the team didn't lay a totally embarrassing 5-11 or worse turd of a season. If the bar is only set to staying around .500, we will tread water for a long time.

Well it appears they did 1 year extensions to basically stick with the typical NFL program which is don't have the key guys on lame duck deals in case they happen to suddenly win the big one, forcing you have to massively overpay to keep them around.   Sometimes referred to as Joe Flacco syndrome. 

But at the same time they didn't give them longer extensions which did happen a few years ago.   I suppose that might be a message of sorts but with the Wilfs who knows.   Your speculation could be right - I have said recently that I think it would take back to back crappy seasons to get either of them fired, 4-8 wins twice.   A bad year this year could do it but with the changes we've made on the staff I think the offense will be upgraded and the defense will be the same or better.    So it's entirely possibly they will win 10-12, etc.

And yeah, I will confess that at least half of my speculation about next year is based on Zimmer doing well in the odd numbered years.. go figure.

Of course if Viking numerology is your thing then get ready for 2020, because we made the NFCC following the 1976, 1987, 1998, and 2009 seasons i.e. every 11 years and 2020 is 11 years since 2009. B)

@Jor-El said:
@comet52 said:
@StickyBun said:

Well it appears they did 1 year extensions to basically stick with the typical NFL program which is don't have the key guys on lame duck deals in case they happen to suddenly win the big one, forcing you have to massively overpay to keep them around.   Sometimes referred to as Joe Flacco syndrome. 

But at the same time they didn't give them longer extensions which did happen a few years ago.   I suppose that might be a message of sorts but with the Wilfs who knows.   Your speculation could be right - I have said recently that I think it would take back to back crappy seasons to get either of them fired, 4-8 wins twice.   A bad year this year could do it but with the changes we've made on the staff I think the offense will be upgraded and the defense will be the same or better.    So it's entirely possibly they will win 10-12, etc.

And yeah, I will confess that at least half of my speculation about next year is based on Zimmer doing well in the odd numbered years.. go figure.

Of course if Viking numerology is your thing then get ready for 2020, because we made the NFCC following the 1976, 1987, 1998, and 2009 seasons i.e. every 11 years and 2020 is 11 years since 2009. B)
But we made the NFCC in 2017. So we have to wait till 2028 by that numerology. If they don't do it then. Well lets just say I'll be lucky to get 2 more chances after.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@comet52 said:
@Jor-El said:
@comet52 said:
@StickyBun said:

But we made the NFCC in 2017. So we have to wait till 2028 by that numerology. If they don't do it then. Well lets just say I'll be lucky to get 2 more chances after.
Funny how Vikings fans will embrace the "odd year, even year" BS, but dismiss Spielman's documented 20 year postseason FAILURES (Miami and Chicago included, Jay Fiedler ring any bells?