Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Always easier to look back: 2014/2015 draft classes...
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Bullazin said:
@MaroonBells said:
Pretty hard to write an article reviewing the '14 draft without even mentioning Aaron Donald, who went at #13. There was some jackstand on this board who wouldn't shut up about him. Saying batshit crazy things like he wasn't just the best player for the Vikings at #8 but the best player in the entire draft. Same asshole said that Johnny Manziel would be playing in Canada in three years, Justin Gilbert would be a bust, All Pro Joel Bitonio was the best guard in the draft and All Pro Telvin Smith was a late-round sleeper. 
Glad you remembered me MB!  jk jk.   i want to claim i was first to say AD was the best player, but i prolly wasnt as i dont post that much.   As far as all the rest, i didnt want Manziel at all but didnt have a clue on the rest of them. 

My biggest memory is someone who is really into drafts saying AD’s arms were too short and he was 2-4 rounder lol
I think we had a 4 or 5 page thread on Aaron Donald. The arguments were mostly about his size and the fact that we already had Floyd. The Floyd argument was at least reasonable. But the one that drove me crazy was that some were saying that he couldn't beat double teams. I don't think I've ever watched a player destroy more double teams than Aaron Donald at Pitt. Triple teams even. I've been obsessing over the draft for 40 years and I've never seen a player who checked more boxes than Donald. From tape to Senior Bowl to combine to character...
aaron donald is the closest thing I've seen to Alan Page since John Randle...

I've wanted JFF, DGB, Cordarrelle Patterson etc...

I'm like that dumb-asz chick at the bar always falling for the bad boyz.

[Image: Sloppy-drunk-Chick.jpg]

Quote: @AGRforever said:
I remember pounding the table for Donald but Im no draft guru by any means. When we traded back into the first and snaged Teddy I was estatic. I really thought he was going to be a star. 
He still might. 

I watch way too much CFB. Don't care that much about the Combine. If I see Gilbert in 3-4 games in the Big 12 showing that same inconsistency that you mentioned, drawing bad penalties,.peeking in the backfield, exhibiting bad technique, etc., then there's really not much your numbers at the underwear olympics can do to change my mind.

My weakness is when I hate the team I tend to not give individual players enough credit. Used to despise Notre Dame so i didn't give Harrison Smith a fair evaluation. My biggest miss to date.

Now that I'm older and FSU sucks I have mellowed out and just enjoy watching the games to see who.looks good and make educated guesses on how they project as a Pro.

My current hot take is that the LSU guys (White and Williams) are not going to live up to their draft status.

I recall many folks being big fans of Donald. Khalil Mack was one I was a big fan of and did like Barr, Mosley and Shazier if I remember right. However, we needed a QB and that’s where I focused my time. Most people didn’t consider the class to offer much and I shared that sentiment. For me I only liked two guys outright and one developmental. 

#3 Blake Bortles - not sure what people recall but I was not a fan at all. If I remember right he fell near the bottom of my top five. He was adored by experts but I didn’t see him as an end of 1st round early 2 guy. The biggest issue I remember having with him was field vision and decision making. I felt both areas were sub-par but I was in the minority on that. Many liked him. He’s actually been better than I expected if that gives you an idea of where I was at with him. 

#22 Johnny Manziel - I also rated him 4 or 5 and I’m pretty sure off the board for awhile. I saw potential with him but he was such a headcase. I also felt he was inflated because Mike Evans made him look so good. Many thought he wouldn’t be worth a crap once he got paid and he certainly didn’t disappoint. 

#32 Teddy Brodgewater - Teddy ran 1st or 2nd on my board. I really liked his decision making and overall ability to make plays. I recall for most of us there was concern around his build and staying healthy. The other knock people had for him was throwing power. I disagreed with many on this and felt he had a good enough arm. I thought higher of him than most though. I expected it to get better as well. It’s horrible to think about what could have been. Teddy wasn’t the flashiest but I felt he was the kind of guy who could win, especially with a good defense. In my estimation his development was picking up speed and he had a very bright future. Tough injury.

#36 Derek Carr - I was a huge fan of Carr out of the class. I felt he had the most natural throwing talent. The concern as it was for pretty much everyone I remember was the system he was coming from can take time to adjust. Accuracy was another area of concern and I think that was a valid issue but he has improved finishing 9th last year. People were not high on him on the board with some not being fans at all. 

It’s hard to fathom but he’s the last guy from the class still with his original team. In my estimation he’s been the best QB by a wide margin, especially comsidering the team he has had around him. He’s had pretty decent weapons but their defense and line for some of it has been attrocious. Here are his stats: 

Career

He certainly hasn’t been the best but he’s a middle of the pack guy and would have been a huge upgrade for us. I saw a Matthew Stafford level of player and he’s generally fallen into that category in my opinion. I do think his best football is ahead of him and it will help having Chucky in charge now from a coaching standpoint. In many ways I don’t see him as much different caliber wise than Cousins.

#62 Jimmy Garappolo - I saw Jimmy as a solid developmental guy with real potential. I would say an evaluation for me still reads incomplete. Having been taken by the Pats sort of changed his career trajectory so we’ll see how he does coming back from injury.

The rest? I didn’t like any of them and there’s not a single one left in the league. Crazy right! Even Jamie’s great love Mettenberger is out of the league lol! It’s fun to look back an eye opening to see how it shook out.