Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We got a kicker
I would prefer Carlson over Bailey . . . but I guess that ship has sailed.

I would like it if ALL kickers were paid with "prove it" contracts.  If they are really good... then make the requirements to reach their incentives higher (and the pay).  If Bailey comes through for us, pay him $500,000 next year... with the possibility of making $3-$4 million (if he's money).  If we KNEW he was going to be consistent, he'd be worth it.

Quote: @pumpf said:
I would like it if ALL kickers were paid with "prove it" contracts.  If they are really good... then make the requirements to reach their incentives higher (and the pay).  If Bailey comes through for us, pay him $500,000 next year... with the possibility of making $3-$4 million (if he's money).  If we KNEW he was going to be consistent, he'd be worth it.
I actually have always thought that there are very few kickers that are worth long-term deal with guaranteed money. There is just so much risk and inconsistencies year over year. My rule of thumb is that if you're going to guarantee money, make sure you're out of it after the first year of the deal. 

WE can always draft some competition.

Kickers are not valued in today's salary cap, guaranteed contract NFL. Almost throwaways yet they impact wins and losses in a way that is much greater than how they are treated. Its a weird thing.