Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some perspective...
Even though the Vikings haven't signed any big free-agents to date...  remember, we did most of our spending last offseason.  The team gave extensions to Danielle Hunter, Eric Kendricks, and Stefon Diggs to lock them up long-term when they were heading into the final years of their deals.  If we hadn't done that, we'd likely be paying even more to keep these three guys (they would all be free agents) and we wouldn't have any guarantees that all these deals would have gotten done prior to the start of FA.
Instead of lamenting the fact that we don't have any money to sign some top-dollar free agents, we should be happy that we did the smart thing and kept our own young, talented players instead of over-paying for someone elses.  It's a mixed bag in NFL free agency and paying a player top-dollar doesn't mean he will produce like a top-level player.  Look at some of these contracts...  I'm willing to bet more than a few of these guys will get released or asked to take a pay cut before the end of these contracts because they didn't live up to it.  I don't think that will be the case with Diggs, Hunter, and Kendricks...

Don't forget dishing out top $$s to land our Pro Bowl QB.  Good thing that plan won't blow up in our faces.  B)

I'm not in panic mode yet, but this team isn't going to "out talent" the Bears, Rams, Saints, Eagles, and several other NFC teams.  Hard to believe losing Barr, Richardson, and even Remmers is giving the team a more talented roster. 

There still will be possible trades and cheap FAs available, but it appears the Vikings are putting a lot of pressure on the success of this draft.  If they don't hit home run picks at OL, DL, LB, and even rookie RBs, then it's going to be a tough year next season. 

I smell 8-8 or worse for this team.

That smell is the stench of 2018, it’s hard to get rid of @HappyViking!  B)

Quote: @Kentis said:
That smell is the stench of 2018, it’s hard to get rid of @HappyViking!  B)
Yep, I agree; I'm still covered in it.  Hopefully it wears off soon.  B)

Most of the contracts so far have been absurd. I'm glad we are not involved, even if we had the money, which we don't. Even the Stephen deal is a bit steep and it's peanuts compared to other deals.

We do need to add to our OL. But it's not in shambles. Getting Easton and Elf at full strength would be big for the line. Pick up an OL high in the draft. And we have some going guys who can still improve. 

It would have been nice to keep Richardson, but I'm not sure how irreplaceable he is. We got back Barr and I'm happy about that. He wanted to be here. 

So we need to hit on some draft picks, need injured players to come back at full strength, and need some young guys to develop. OK. That's not so bad.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
Don't forget dishing out top $$s to land our Pro Bowl QB.  Good thing that plan won't blow up in our faces.  B)

I'm not in panic mode yet, but this team isn't going to "out talent" the Bears, Rams, Saints, Eagles, and several other NFC teams.  Hard to believe losing Barr, Richardson, and even Remmers is giving the team a more talented roster. 

There still will be possible trades and cheap FAs available, but it appears the Vikings are putting a lot of pressure on the success of this draft.  If they don't hit home run picks at OL, DL, LB, and even rookie RBs, then it's going to be a tough year next season. 

I smell 8-8 or worse for this team.
I don't think that losing any of them will negatively affect us that much (especially Remmers).  Now, EG?  That's a different story.  But we might have to, in order to clear some cap space.  We can get by on defense with Weatherly (and another rotational player) filling EG's shoes (trying to fill them).  But we CAN'T try to win with this OL.

Perspective stench huh...
Do you prefer roll-on, stick or spray?

Quote: @dadevike said:

It would have been nice to keep Richardson, but I'm not sure how irreplaceable he is. We got back Barr and I'm happy about that. He wanted to be here. 
He must not have heard that the players don't trust Spielman...