Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brown to the Raiders
Brown got his second contract 2 years earlier than is
typical because they resigned him after his second year.  His 3rd contract made him the
highest paid WR in the league at the time at $17M, which he fully had a ton of
leverage during negotiation.  Let’s not
pretend like he’s this massive victim or that he wasn’t going to get paid.  All he had to do was show up, but he made a giant
hissy fit to get out of his existing contract.

This is a tough precedence to set, because on the one hand,
you’ve got to try to keep your players happy, but on the other hand they paid
the man and he wasn’t happy anyway and it still bit them in the ass, so how do
you protect yourself from that?

Quote: @medaille said:
typical because they resigned him after his second year.  His 3rd contract made him the
pretend like he’s this massive victim or that he wasn’t going to get paid.  All he had to do was show up, but he made a giant

Perhaps?  But the dude performed monstrously for 4 years while only making 28 mil over that time frame.
He never said a peep then.  It was only after they gave him the crappy deal (his agent's fault really) that he was pissed.
The Vikings could be in the same boat with Thielen who is outperforming his contract.
They gave him a deal after only one season of production.
Why should they give him a raise?
His agent already came out again this off season and mentioned his contract was not up to par.
Only thing left is for Thielen to start complaining.

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
@medaille said:

Perhaps?  But the dude performed monstrously for 4 years while only making 28 mil over that time frame.
He never said a peep then.  It was only after they gave him the crappy deal (his agent's fault really) that he was pissed.
The Vikings could be in the same boat with Thielen who is outperforming his contract.
His agent already came out again this off season and mentioned his contract was not up to par.
I will say the same for brown as I do for Theilen,  if you have a shitty contract that is on you and your agent,  be a man and honor your contract....of course I say the same thing about teams that dick players around.  I am so ready for guaranteed contracts in the NFL with benchmarks for performance to protect teams from turds that get their money and then slough off.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@medaille said:

I will say the same for brown as I do for Theilen,  if you have a shitty contract that is on you and your agent,  be a man and honor your contract....of course I say the same thing about teams that dick players around.  I am so ready for guaranteed contracts in the NFL with benchmarks for performance to protect teams from turds that get their money and then slough off.
While I agree to an extent, the Vikings have shown they will adjust deals as they did with Griffen and Joseph.
The precedent has been set.

@medaille said:

I can totally understand Brown and Thielen being a little
bit miffed for signing a contract one year too early and not getting as much
money as they could have if they had waited.

But Brown not being happy with his contract 1 year into his
brand new deal, that he negotiated for while having all the leverage a WR can
possibly have is ridiculous and childish.

The Vikings will have to take care of Thielen at some point,
but it’s not the same situation because Brown is pissed at his best in the
league deal and Thielen is still underpaid.

Quote: @medaille said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@medaille said:

His deal was only the best on paper.  Hopkins signed a deal a several months later for 5 year 81 mil with 49 mil guaranteed.
Diggs got 30 mil guaranteed.  After but still.
The issue is and has been that the Steelers do not guarantee much.  It is Brown's fault for sure.  He has himself and his agent to blame.
But they had the same problem with Bell.
All I know is Brown EARNED every penny of what they paid him and deserved more guaranteed.
So glad the Vikings did not do that kind of deal with Diggs.

@medaille said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@medaille said:

His deal was only the best on paper.  Hopkins signed a deal a several months later for 5 year 81 mil with 49 mil guaranteed.
The issue is and has been that the Steelers do not guarantee much.  It is Brown's fault for sure.  He has himself and his agent to blame.
All I know is Brown EARNED every penny of what they paid him and deserved more guaranteed.
then he shouldnt have signed such a long term deal.... these guys want the security of multiple years with big dollars to stroke their egos,  and then bitch when somebody one ups them.  if they want to always be the highest paid player then they better be ready to take 1 year deals and take the risk on themselves instead of the team carrying that risk if they are injured or something else that causes their performance to tail off.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@medaille said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@medaille said:

then he shouldnt have signed such a long term deal.... these guys want the security of multiple years with big dollars to stroke their egos,  and then bitch when somebody one ups them.  if they want to always be the highest paid player then they better be ready to take 1 year deals and take the risk on themselves instead of the team carrying that risk if they are injured or something else that causes their performance to tail off.
Brown's performance has not tailed off though.  I already said it was his agent's fault.
Don't matter to me.  I think the Steelers are to blame in this situation.  You do not.  It's cool.
I hope the Vikings take care of Thielen.

@JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@medaille said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@medaille said:

Brown's performance has not tailed off though.  I already said it was his agent's fault.
Don't matter to me.  I think the Steelers are to blame in this situation.  You do not.  It's cool.
I hope the Vikings take care of Thielen.
AT is getting good money this year.  most of the people complaining for AT are not looking at the escalators that he is getting that were built into his deal.  IIRC he will make more than 8 million this year.   thats not stupid money,  but its not chump change either.  The team took a chance and he accepted,  AT agreed to the terms and structure and if he thought he would do better than he should have opted for a smaller signing bonus and less years.   he got security for his family and is able to stay in Minny and the team gets a good player at a good price.   I am sure if he continues to produce he will see 1 more contract and will likely make additional bank there.