Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pet Peeve... "pro-bowls"
I don't know if it will spark much conversation... but here goes: listing the number of pro-bowls that a player has been to- as a way of measuring their "greatness"- is the stupidest thing ever.

First of all, pro-bowls are like homecoming courts: it is a popularity contest.  Just because Dylan was voted homecoming king 3 times... that doesn't mean Dylan is a great student, athlete or performer.  It just means he's popular.  That's all the pro-bowl is: a popularity contest.

Second of all, there are always a ton of players that get named to the pro-bowl... who refuse to go.  So then a whole bunch more players get named as replacements.  Are they considered "pro-bowlers", too?  Pro Football Reference listed Teddy as being a "pro-bowler" in 2015.  So the answer is "yes": being a replacement pro-bowler means that you are considered a "pro-bowler" (even if you clearly- in the case of Teddy- would not be considered "elite").  By the way, let's not turn this into a pro / anti Teddy thread.  I loved the guy.  I spent good money on one of his jerseys (something I rarely do).  I loved the guy; but he wasn't anywhere near elite.  He might have been... someday.  But that's all we have with him: what might have been.

Finally, the fans vote.  This is probably an extension of point #1... but the fact that fans (who- for the most part- don't know much about football) get to play a major role in selecting pro-bowlers... goes to show just how silly this "honor" is (along with All-Star voting in baseball).  

The only "honors" that should matter in measuring a football player are stats (assuming they play a position that has meaningful stats attached to is) and their all-pro designations. 

I heard the talking heads today: discussing what a travesty it was that Landon Collins got released.  After all, he's been to three pro bowls!  That's what set me off.  I don't know if Collins is great or not.  But I know that simply saying he went to 3 pro bowls (as a NY player) didn't mean anything.

Kinda Grinds Your Gears huh?

I've always felt All Pro was far more meaningful than Pro Bowl...