Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer status confirmed for the future - Just got extended

Guess that ends that silly line of stories in the local MN media.

Important year for him though, teams success will go a long way to getting a new contract worth 3 - 5 years, otherwise we'll revisit this again after next season.

I wouldn't say that this really changes much. Reiterates that teams won't let coaches "play" on the final year of their deals. Vikings will have to make a longer term decision on Zimmer after the 2019 season. 

I think it just makes him feel at ease about his contract for this year. Maybe they didn't want him to have to think about money or the end of the year without a contract.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
Guess that ends that silly line of stories in the local MN media.
Because he has an extension of one year beyond the current season? I wouldn't call this a strong vote of confidence. Tacking on one extra year is akin to exercising a player's 5th year option, as opposed to giving them a multi-year extension.
We could also interpret this as ownership synchronizing Zimmer's contract with Cousins'. If the expensive bet on Cousins proves to be unsuccessful (and 2018 is too short to assume so), I think the Wilfs will clean out the people who made the Cousins decision. Maybe Spielman bears that weight alone, but if they seek a new GM after 2020, they won't want him forced to keep (or buy out) Zimmer for a long contract.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
I wouldn't say that this really changes much. Reiterates that teams won't let coaches "play" on the final year of their deals. Vikings will have to make a longer term decision on Zimmer after the 2019 season. 
Agreed. Doesn't change things much. 2019 is a big year for the staff and Spielman. 

I expect Spielman and Zimmer to be fired if they have a bad season. However, if they have a good season, this sets the stage for a longer term extension as well.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
True.  My brain didn't fully wrap around the idea that 2020 is next year.  Crap it is already 2019 and I don't have a flying car yet.  My mind pictured 2020 as a much longer extension than 1 year.

Didn't Spielman do the same thing for BRob?