Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now THIS is how you negotiate a contract
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
This was a smart move for Thielen and his agent to get ahead of this since they have no leverage. Basically put the thought in the Vikings mind that they might want to consider doing something. Precedent says the Vikings will likely want him to honor 2019 and they will rework his deal next off-season, but this is not a typical situation. 

Although it's unlikely it would get to this point, the Vikings have team control due to the tag through 2021 (3 seasons). At that point Adam will be 32. 
It might be... or it might be seen another way.  The team took a risk and is getting rewarded and AT got to play pro football.   if it werent for the hometowm Vikings giving him his chance he was doing what?  selling furniture or some such shit?  He is making really good money with his incentives that he is reaching and that should be enough for 1 more year IMO.  I think next offseason is when they should be pushing for a new deal,  not with 2 years left.  LIke you said, the team has control and the timing is pretty shitty considering the teams cap situation this year...not to mention by taking it to the public (no matter how eloquently worded it was) is never IMO a good way to open a private negotiation.  I could see this being a little bit of a slap in the face for the front office.
gotta say. I disagree. I dont see anything wrong with team AT saying what they said. Every viking fan out there knows he’s being grossly underpaid. 

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:
Thielen and his agent are back at it again.  After the 2016 season, they went public with their request to get paid and the Vikings obliged.  If they had waited for 9 months he likely would have received a contract similar to Alshon Jeffrey and Davante Adams (13 to 14.5 mil).
Now they want to get paid more and are trying the same tactic.
Diggs, Hunter, and Kendricks never went public asking for a new deal.  Harris is not doing that now and he is in a very similar position as Thielen was in when he first asked to get a new deal.
If it were me, I would trade him for Brown or hopefully, OBJ.  I would love to pair up the 26 year old OBJ with the 25 year old Diggs!
The Giants might be receptive to taking back Thielen since Shurmur is the coach.  The Vikings probably have to give up a pick too but not a 1st.
Brown is older but still better.  He would be awesome too.
I dont like that ATs agent is coming public like this... imo its a chicken shit tactic,  the team knows adam is exceeding his contract,  the fans know adam is exceeding his contract,  but we also know that he would likely still be selling dental equipment (thanks Greed) if the Vikes hadnt given him the opportunity.  with his incentives AT is making very good money in his home state with his family and wifes family nearby to see their kids grow up.   AT has it really damn good,  I dont think he really needs to be poking the situation either.... however,  if you for one second think that life would be better with obj or brown... you gotta be smoking something.  AT is a great kid and thats the type of player that we need, even if he isnt quite up to the level of the other two,  he is willing to do what ever is asked of him and has only rarely shown any thing close being a problem.   hard pass on brown and especially obj.
I'm not sure I follow Jimmy. What does the fact they gave him his chance, that he could be selling dental equipment have to do with now? Everyone in this league got a chance. Kurt Warner got a chance to leave the Barn Stormers and a PT grocery store job for the HOF. I'm not arguing against players honoring their contracts. Just how they got in the league shouldn't matter one bit on what they should expect to be paid once they are established.
the point is that if it werent for the Vikes he wouldnt be out performing his contract.  he is under contract to play football already,  a contract he signed and needs to honor at least another year before asking for a new deal.  the fact that he was given this chance as opposed to selling dental shit says he should be a little more professional in his expectations.... or at least his agent should.  almost everybody with any pride exceeds their compensation from time to time at work,  is everybody supposed to go to the public with their bitches?  I dont like the ask and I dont like the method,  IMO he should be happy to be where he is at and making what he is making.. if he continues to work hard and out perform it will push his next deal even higher.  its bad enough that teams are already forced to rework deals a full year before they current ones are set to expire,  now these agents want the security of a multi year deal,  but the flexibility to rework them half way through if it benefits the player?   sure the teams do similar shit,  but its all just annoying to me.
Nope still not following...lol. The fact that the whole league missed on the fact this kid can play means he should be grateful to just be here. That these other guys who were drafted and got bigger deals because they overlooked Adam for them should make him more grateful.??? I guess we see it differently. Yes he hit his incentives and got paid good. Careers are short. I don't blame him one bit for wanting the guaranteed money like the others. 

if he wanted a year to year deal then he should have signed a year to year deal.  he got security in his 4 year deal and with those extra years of guaranteed money comes with less over all.  maybe he should ask for an all incentive deal with no guarantees if he wants to be payed on his production?  would his agent be offering to lower his contract if he hadnt performed as well?  the team might be doing the asking,  but i am sure ATs agent would be pushing the issue and trying to get AT released to hit FA if that were to happen.   he will get another chance in a year,  but he signed a deal and needs to see a little more of it through before his agent starts pushing the issue IMO.

I dont see AT as a true #1 by himself,  IMO him and Diggs are a 1A and 1B and neither would be nearly as effective without the other doing what they do.  but as a stand alone #1 I dont see it happening and I dont see either getting paid as such.  Neither have shown to beat double teams with any consistency when the other is off the field.  where was Adams contract ranked when he signed it 2 years ago among receivers in relation to his production then?  does he deserve more money...probably,  but he is getting good incentive money on top of his base so... wait your turn AT.

@suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:
Thielen and his agent are back at it again.  After the 2016 season, they went public with their request to get paid and the Vikings obliged.  If they had waited for 9 months he likely would have received a contract similar to Alshon Jeffrey and Davante Adams (13 to 14.5 mil).
Diggs, Hunter, and Kendricks never went public asking for a new deal.  Harris is not doing that now and he is in a very similar position as Thielen was in when he first asked to get a new deal.
If it were me, I would trade him for Brown or hopefully, OBJ.  I would love to pair up the 26 year old OBJ with the 25 year old Diggs!
The Giants might be receptive to taking back Thielen since Shurmur is the coach.  The Vikings probably have to give up a pick too but not a 1st.
I dont like that ATs agent is coming public like this... imo its a chicken shit tactic,  the team knows adam is exceeding his contract,  the fans know adam is exceeding his contract,  but we also know that he would likely still be selling dental equipment (thanks Greed) if the Vikes hadnt given him the opportunity.  with his incentives AT is making very good money in his home state with his family and wifes family nearby to see their kids grow up.   AT has it really damn good,  I dont think he really needs to be poking the situation either.... however,  if you for one second think that life would be better with obj or brown... you gotta be smoking something.  AT is a great kid and thats the type of player that we need, even if he isnt quite up to the level of the other two,  he is willing to do what ever is asked of him and has only rarely shown any thing close being a problem.   hard pass on brown and especially obj.
I'm not sure I follow Jimmy. What does the fact they gave him his chance, that he could be selling dental equipment have to do with now? Everyone in this league got a chance. Kurt Warner got a chance to leave the Barn Stormers and a PT grocery store job for the HOF. I'm not arguing against players honoring their contracts. Just how they got in the league shouldn't matter one bit on what they should expect to be paid once they are established.
the point is that if it werent for the Vikes he wouldnt be out performing his contract.  he is under contract to play football already,  a contract he signed and needs to honor at least another year before asking for a new deal.  the fact that he was given this chance as opposed to selling dental shit says he should be a little more professional in his expectations.... or at least his agent should.  almost everybody with any pride exceeds their compensation from time to time at work,  is everybody supposed to go to the public with their bitches?  I dont like the ask and I dont like the method,  IMO he should be happy to be where he is at and making what he is making.. if he continues to work hard and out perform it will push his next deal even higher.  its bad enough that teams are already forced to rework deals a full year before they current ones are set to expire,  now these agents want the security of a multi year deal,  but the flexibility to rework them half way through if it benefits the player?   sure the teams do similar shit,  but its all just annoying to me.
Nope still not following...lol. The fact that the whole league missed on the fact this kid can play means he should be grateful to just be here. That these other guys who were drafted and got bigger deals because they overlooked Adam for them should make him more grateful.??? I guess we see it differently. Yes he hit his incentives and got paid good. Careers are short. I don't blame him one bit for wanting the guaranteed money like the others. 

if he wanted a year to year deal then he should have signed a year to year deal.  he got security in his 4 year deal and with those extra years of guaranteed money comes with less over all.  maybe he should ask for an all incentive deal with no guarantees if he wants to be payed on his production?  would his agent be offering to lower his contract if he hadnt performed as well?  the team might be doing the asking,  but i am sure ATs agent would be pushing the issue and trying to get AT released to hit FA if that were to happen.   he will get another chance in a year,  but he signed a deal and needs to see a little more of it through before his agent starts pushing the issue IMO.

I dont see AT as a true #1 by himself,  IMO him and Diggs are a 1A and 1B and neither would be nearly as effective without the other doing what they do.  but as a stand alone #1 I dont see it happening and I dont see either getting paid as such.  Neither have shown to beat double teams with any consistency when the other is off the field.  where was Adams contract ranked when he signed it 2 years ago among receivers in relation to his production then?  does he deserve more money...probably,  but he is getting good incentive money on top of his base so... wait your turn AT.
But in the NFL the team gets all the security because they can cut a player at anytime.  If NFL contracts were like MLB/NBA/NHL contracts I'd agree with you. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:

But in the NFL the team gets all the security because they can cut a player at anytime.  If NFL contracts were like MLB/NBA/NHL contracts I'd agree with you. 
they can cut them but the guaranteed money is still due.

edit:  the contracts in the nfl are one of the things I hate about the NFL.   they need to get rid of how they are doing it now and make the terms more in stone with established protections for both parties.

Quote: @SFVikingFan said:
@MarkSP18 said:

You are criticizing Thielen because you think he is being a drama queen, but yet you want Brown or OBJ on this team???

I would take Thielen 10 out of 10 times over either of those two.
Interesting.  Pointing out their "tactics" (these are negotiation tactics right?) is now criticizing Thielen.
I only mentioned the trade for the other players because they are better.
OBJ is only 26.  I ain't worried about any antics.  I have seen Moss and he is still my favorite.
It will never happen and it has nothing to do with Thielen wanting more money.
Only thinking of making the Vikings better.

@AGRforever said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:

edit:  the contracts in the nfl are one of the things I hate about the NFL.   they need to get rid of how they are doing it now and make the terms more in stone with established protections for both parties.
agree on the edit. Id be all for a deal is a deal if it was a two way street. 

@AGRforever said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:

Two thoughts re NFL contracts:
1. The terms are "in stone", but players and their agents choose to interpret them incorrectly. When a player gets a contract like, "6 years, $60M, $30M guaranteed", the players seem to believe they are DEFINITELY getting $60M. In fact, they just signed a contract that is DEFINITELY for $30M, and they gave the team an option for whatever remainder would fulfill the rest. Is it player ego or misrepresentation by agents? IDK but most of the "I can't believe the team wouldn't honor their deal" is actually, "the team didn't pick up an option."
2. The players could work for better contracts, but the last couple of CBA agreements, they have been lured by other enticements - like less OTAs and other offseason workout requirements.