Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can A Carpenter Fix The OL?

JAMES CARPENTERG, NEW YORK JETS
The Star Tribune considers free agent LG James Carpenter a possible target for the Vikings.Carpenter missed the final six games of 2018 with a shoulder injury. He had a down year as a run blocker but was one of the better pass-protecting guards in the league. Carpenter played under Vikings OL coach Rick Dennison with the Jets last season. With Tom Compton and Nick Easton free agents, Carpenter would be a strong fit in Minnesota.
RELATED:  Minnesota VikingsSOURCE: Minneapolis Star Tribune

Makes sense, Vikings put a lot of faith in players recovering from injury in previous season...  Hope we get an OL that can start the season healthy an at full strength...

The same James Carpenter who was a first round bust for the Seahawks?

Yuck...

For me it would be dependent on the contract. He'll obviously be shopping for a market rate starting guard salary. Given the volatility in his play over his career it feels a little risky. 

We haven't signed a f.a. who made a good long term impact since Linval and that was 5 years ago.   This team doesn't hit on f.a. signings for the most part.   Carpenter would probably end up being another Alex Boone.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
The same James Carpenter who was a first round bust for the Seahawks?

Yuck...
Like the same Glowinski that was a bust in Seattle but very good in Indy?
Like Brooks that was a bust in Houston and good in Philly? Lie the fatty that was a bust until he became Brady's blindside protector and won a Super Bowl? 

I said at the beginning of the O-Line rebuild talks that there was a good chance that a FA signing wouldn't be a 'name' everyone would be familiar with but that doesn't necessarily mean it would be  bad signing.

A bunch of the Playoff Teams had castoffs starting. Some were outright busts with their first team while others either didn't live up to their draft position or were beaten out and became expendable.

There aren't enough Priority Free Agents to fix this Line and there is little chance that the FO goes back-to-back picks in the 1st & 2nd. I'm expecting an under the radar signing and two of the first four picks being the bulk of the work done to fix this Line.

Now it's a whole other story if you don't believe Rick can identify a guy who will flourish with a second opportunity or doubt the Staff can coach a guy like that up. I can't really argue against that. But it is a legit practice in the NFL.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
The Star Tribune considers free agent LG James Carpenter a possible target for the Vikings.
Suffice to say that EVERY free agent LG is a possible target for the Vikings.

It's all about the fit. Did a little research on this and I doubt Carpenter will be coming to Mpls.

Carpenter played much better for the Jets than he did Seattle. PFF even named him the Jets' "Secret Superstar" in 2016.

The difference? Jets ran a power scheme: "This offense is like a dream to me -- man and power blocking," said Carpenter, who played in a zone-blocking scheme in Seattle. "It's a dream come true for me. That's the type of lineman I am." At 6-foot-5, 321 pounds, Carpenter is built for a power, road-grading scheme. In a zone system, the linemen blocks areas, not defenders. It's a finesse scheme.

These power road graders need to move in todays nfl.  ZBS is an advanced scheme for advanced scheme defenses.   I am very excited to see what Kubiak brings to our running game.  Cousins is a great pocket passer. If we establish the run game and PA our offense could really take a huge step up

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
The Star Tribune considers free agent LG James Carpenter a possible target for the Vikings.
Suffice to say that EVERY free agent LG is a possible target for the Vikings.

It's all about the fit. Did a little research on this and I doubt Carpenter will be coming to Mpls.

Carpenter played much better for the Jets than he did Seattle. PFF even named him the Jets' "Secret Superstar" in 2016.

The difference? Jets ran a power scheme: "This offense is like a dream to me -- man and power blocking," said Carpenter, who played in a zone-blocking scheme in Seattle. "It's a dream come true for me. That's the type of lineman I am." At 6-foot-5, 321 pounds, Carpenter is built for a power, road-grading scheme. In a zone system, the linemen blocks areas, not defenders. It's a finesse scheme.

With the Vikings purportedly going to run a ZBS, Carpenter seems like not a good fit from my unprofessional viewpoint.