Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you release Griffen?
Quote: @"MarkSP18" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Everson Griffen - DL - VikingsThe Minneapolis Star-Tribune's Ben Goessling considers Vikings DE Everson Griffen a candidate for release this offseason.
Griffen is now 31 and coming off a year where he battled mental health issues and had to leave the team for a period of time. When he was on the field, Griffen notched just 5.5 sacks across 11 games. That came after Griffen had 43.5 takedowns of quarterbacks the previous four seasons. Due a $10.9 million salary in 2019, the Vikings can save $10.7 million against the cap by cutting Griffen. Danielle Hunter is the best edge rusher on the team, and Stephen Weatherly played well in Griffen's absence. Minnesota's cap situation may work against Griffen.Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune
The decision will ultimately be made at the combine when the Vikings meet with Griffen's reps. My guess is the Vikings will be willing to prorate some of his 2019 salary in a signing bonus across the remainder of his deal. In return they'll expect Griffen to take a substantial cut with the opportunity to make some of the money back through incentives. 

Best guess is the Vikings will offer him a base salary of $930K, give roughly $4M in a signing bonus (at time of restructure), turn $500K into a per game active roster bonus, and lastly offer $1.5M escalators at 6, 8 and 10 sacks. 

If he plays 16 games and gets 10+ sacks he'll end up making about $10M compared to $10.9M he is scheduled to make now. The signing bonus also gives the Vikings a strong incentive to keep him on the roster securing his $500K roster bonus. For the Vikings this would reduce his 2019 cap hit to around $3.2M from $11.9M giving the Vikings an additional $8.7M to work with.
Interesting restructure (er., pay cut) scenario.  Right now he has dead money of 1.2 M, 800K, & 400K the next 3 years.
You are suggesting for the Vikings to take on more dead money for a player who is already 31 and turns 32 next December.
in 2020 his dead cap would be the 3 mil plus 800K right.
And what about the other years remaining in his deal.  I only see details for 2019.
I am just asking here not saying it is bad or anything like that.  What would your guess be for the remaining years on his deal?
I would be disappointed if the Vikings gave him an extension with additional guaranteed money. His contract was overly long on paper, but structured to let them get out of it if he declined. That has happened; time to tell him he takes a new prove-it deal or tests the waters.

Quote: @"MarkSP18" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Everson Griffen - DL - VikingsThe Minneapolis Star-Tribune's Ben Goessling considers Vikings DE Everson Griffen a candidate for release this offseason.
Griffen is now 31 and coming off a year where he battled mental health issues and had to leave the team for a period of time. When he was on the field, Griffen notched just 5.5 sacks across 11 games. That came after Griffen had 43.5 takedowns of quarterbacks the previous four seasons. Due a $10.9 million salary in 2019, the Vikings can save $10.7 million against the cap by cutting Griffen. Danielle Hunter is the best edge rusher on the team, and Stephen Weatherly played well in Griffen's absence. Minnesota's cap situation may work against Griffen.Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune
The decision will ultimately be made at the combine when the Vikings meet with Griffen's reps. My guess is the Vikings will be willing to prorate some of his 2019 salary in a signing bonus across the remainder of his deal. In return they'll expect Griffen to take a substantial cut with the opportunity to make some of the money back through incentives. 

Best guess is the Vikings will offer him a base salary of $930K, give roughly $4M in a signing bonus (at time of restructure), turn $500K into a per game active roster bonus, and lastly offer $1.5M escalators at 6, 8 and 10 sacks. 

If he plays 16 games and gets 10+ sacks he'll end up making about $10M compared to $10.9M he is scheduled to make now. The signing bonus also gives the Vikings a strong incentive to keep him on the roster securing his $500K roster bonus. For the Vikings this would reduce his 2019 cap hit to around $3.2M from $11.9M giving the Vikings an additional $8.7M to work with.
Interesting restructure (er., pay cut) scenario.  Right now he has dead money of 1.2 M, 800K, & 400K the next 3 years.
You are suggesting for the Vikings to take on more dead money for a player who is already 31 and turns 32 next December.
And what about the other years remaining in his deal.  I only see details for 2019.
I am just asking here not saying it is bad or anything like that.  What would your guess be for the remaining years on his deal?
You would have to give something to get something. If the Vikings ends up restructuring with Griffen this off-season they'll need to take on additional guarantees. The question really comes down to whether you guarantee salary this season (isolate the impact) or spread it out. The obvious advantage to spreading it out is that you save cap this year. If you played out my structure above the cap/cap benefit would be: 

2019 - Cap Hit $3.2M / $5.2M Dead [$8.5M savings from original cap number] 
2020 - Cap Hit $14.9M (up to 4.5M in incentives) / 3.8M Dead [$11.1M savings]
2021 - Cap Hit $15.4M / 2.4M Dead [$13M savings] 
2022 - Cap Hit $16.5M / 1.0M Dead [$15.5M savings] 

So if you really dig into the above you end up pushing money into the future but in no way is it going to negatively impact the teams ability to move on for any reason. If you were to trade/release Griffen this off-season you would have a cap benefit of $10.5M. I would argue you're better off keeping him on the roster in 2019 for $3.2M with the money pushed down the road since you still would have a cap benefit of $11.1M in 2020. So you aren't losing any leverage. You also get to utilize the $8.5M in 2019 and/or roll it into 2020 if you don't. 

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"MarkSP18" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

I would be disappointed if the Vikings gave him an extension with additional guaranteed money. His contract was overly long on paper, but structured to let them get out of it if he declined. That has happened; time to tell him he takes a new prove-it deal or tests the waters.
This wouldn't be an extension. Just amending his previous deal to ensure his spot on the 2018 roster. Also as laid out above it would still keep it a year to year deal for the Viking since they could cut him in 2020 and gain $11M in cap space. The biggest team advantage the Vikings have right now on both Griffen and Linval is that they can push money from this year into the future while still gaining substantial relief in the subsequent year if the player regresses. 

I would look at it this way. The salary cap has a natural life cycle. 

1. You begin by paying players up front to acquire team control on the back end. You preserve space and eat little to no dead money. 
2. As you preserve cap space you focus on extending your own players to continue to keep back end control over the cap. 
3. Eventually as your draft/develop and acquire talent you begin to push up against the cap. At this point you can begin to eat some bad money to get out of deals. You also begin to push money into the future to take full advantage of paying players up-front. 
4. You continue to push money until your core is finally aged. At that point you eat massive dead money in a single or two year period to begin the cycle of rebuilding. AKA create a clean slate. 
5. Back to step one. 

Get better or go backward. Vikes have some big decisions this offseason and into the draft.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MarkSP18" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

You would have to give something to get something. If the Vikings ends up restructuring with Griffen this off-season they'll need to take on additional guarantees. The question really comes down to whether you guarantee salary this season (isolate the impact) or spread it out. The obvious advantage to spreading it out is that you save cap this year. If you played out my structure above the cap/cap benefit would be: 

2019 - Cap Hit $3.2M / $5.2M Dead [$8.5M savings from original cap number] 
2020 - Cap Hit $14.9M (up to 4.5M in incentives) / 3.8M Dead [$11.1M savings]
2021 - Cap Hit $15.4M / 2.4M Dead [$13M savings] 
2022 - Cap Hit $16.5M / 1.0M Dead [$15.5M savings] 

So if you really dig into the above you end up pushing money into the future but in no way is it going to negatively impact the teams ability to move on for any reason. If you were to trade/release Griffen this off-season you would have a cap benefit of $10.5M. I would argue you're better off keeping him on the roster in 2019 for $3.2M with the money pushed down the road since you still would have a cap benefit of $11.1M in 2020. So you aren't losing any leverage. You also get to utilize the $8.5M in 2019 and/or roll it into 2020 if you don't. 

I would think that they would want to lower those future years salaries as well.  He may not agree but after he had his issues this year, the per game active bonus might be an insurance even going as far as not tying it to sacks as you described for 2019.