Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dillard a 1st rounder?
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@kahsmick said:
If Offensive Depth and no Top Layer are that prevalent, there definitely will be a run on OL in The First and lots of really good defensive players will be dropping.

Teams are going to want to trade up to the mid-first to get the guy they had in their top ten.

It may be that 4 OL are already gone at #18.

A trade down might be the best play?

I'm seeing a lot of even talent, so getting another selection in the top 100 somewhere looks like a good move right now.  I will change my mind a hundred times, however.
Right now (and I'll change my mind a hundred times, too), it looks like the value might suggest taking OL at 18 and the best DT at 50. Seeing a lot of mocks with some ridiculous DT value deep into the 2nd round. 
I agree with staying at 18 and taking OL,  but its scenarios like we are seeing here is exactly why I think we need to get our OL addressed in FA and hope to add quality through the draft.   The notion  that we will for sure find 1 or even 2 day one starters in the draft is poor planning IMO.  We cant rely on any injured guys being ready day 1 and what we had this year would make me want to cancel the season than see them lined up out there again.  front load a couple OGs contracts and draft more help,  if the rookies pan out we can always trade those front loaded veteran contracts for future picks,  but we need to make sure we have protection and running lanes accounted for going into the draft.
Couldn't agree more. In a perfect world--ok, my perfect world--we would sign Rodger Saffold to be our starting left guard. We move Easton over to RG, where he competes with 1st round draft choice. We draft a high-upside left tackle in the 3rd round who develops behind Reiff. 

Couple things to consider....

* Will we be able to sign Easton if we target Saffold? Easton is going to want a starting gig and he can probably get it somewhere. 
* What the hell happened to Elflein? Recently read a PFF article that graded him dead last among centers. I knew he was bad this year, but that bad? Is it possible we draft a center and move Elflein to RG? A position he was better at at OSU? And even he says he's more comfortable playing? 
* With the exception of O'Neill and Collins, I don't know if any of our linemen are the kind athletic freaks required to effectively play in a Kubiak zone. 
I cant speak to scheme fit,  but I will say that Elfs biggest issue this year IMO was his lack of power, he never was a mauler,  more of a technician,  but he still needs a decent amount of strength to play along the front.  As a Center his is primarily tasked with helping a OG double team or often to seal block down on DT as the OG slides to the next level,  rarely is he tasked with taking a DT head on like he would be at Guard.  Maybe he will surprise me,  but I dont know that I would look back at what he did in college and make any assumptions as to what he would be able to do in the pros,  but if they try to move him I would certainly want to have a solid back up plan in place.  Me personally I say leave him at C,  I think with a full offseason of being able to work out he will be just fine and back to what we saw his rookie season.