Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Offensive line end of season evaluation
I’ll use a Madden rating system to give you an idea of my view of each player. The old school rating system not the garbage in later games).

Rating:

Reiff is our best offensive lineman in my opinion. LT is hard to find and he does a decent job. He’ll never be an elite guy but I’d rate him “above average” for the tackle position. He could be better with someone other than a marginal player next to him. I’d leave him be at LT.

O’Neill

O’Neill was a slightly above average player for the position. This is a very good rating for a 23 year old rookie. His future at RT looks good to me. I wouldn’t move him to LT.

* These are it for starting caliber players in my opinion. Maybe one other can be a starter but is a question due to injuries.

Pat Elflein

In my opinion Elflein has been slow to develop. He gives up too much pressure and is not good enough in the run. He’s shown flashes of being a starter but must make significant progress to be considered a starting level player.

Mike Remmers

Backup at this point in his career. I’d cut him as savings will be around $4 million. 

Danny Isidora

Disappointing in limited exposure. 5th round pick that looks to be a miss.

Tom Compton

Hailing from my alma mater I had hoped he would work out. I wouldn’t re-sign.

Aviante Collins

I haven’t seen much of him hence the asterisk. I don’t have high expectations for him but I noticed people mention him. 

Rashod Hill

Simply not a starter. Would be a reasonable depth player.

No other linemen strike me as viable future starters. This is an abysmal overall group I would rank as a bottom 3 in the league. They give up an insane number of pressure. Guys go completely unblocked by guards when they completely whiff. 

This is by far our most pressing need and will need to be addressed immediately if the team wants to contend next year. 

Rating key:

100-90 Top flight to elite player
 80-90 Above average NFL starter
70-80 Average player at the position
60-70 Below average player and not a starter
50-60 Poor
< 50   Is not NFL level player
* - limited production which leaves evaluation of preseason work most often used for analysis

To be fair, Elflein had two surgeries & zero time to train, rehabbing well into the regular season. With a full off season to build strengh he should be a very good player...  
playing between two turnstiles was probably somewhat of a challenge as well!  B) 

Agree for the most part except on Elflein.  I think he struggled with strength this year as he was slow to recover from off-season surgery.  If Easton hadn't gone down, Elf may have ended up on PUP for the first half of the season.  He is smart, calls good protections, but I think he lacked that power this year that should have really taken a step for the 2nd year center.
Reiff is a leader and a very solid LT.  People are too quick to dismiss a guy at that position if he misses a play hear and there.  He had some injury issues early on that limited him, but he turned in a very solid second half.
O'Neill is very promising.  The stat about not surrendering a sack is pretty impressive, but how much help did he get from TEs?  He should take a huge step next year if he takes the off-season seriously.  He can bulk up and improve that power to go with his feet and agility.
Easton and Collins were hurt and should help the depth next year, or possibly start at guard.  Hill is a quality reserve tackle.

Anyone think we could move Elf to G and let Jones play C?   Eastons neck injury is totally worrisome to me.  This way we can draft a G high to develop and sign a starter at G to play immediately. 

Compton and Collins are Ok Short term backups, with Collins having starter upside. Draft another T mid round also. 

I think Collins is locked into the LT spot.  I doubt he can be a factor anywhere else.  Elf needs to sit until he gets stronger, and that won't be by next season either.  We need a RG and a C, as long as Easton can make it back.  If he can't, well, that is going to be a mountain of a problem because I don't think any team has replaced both G and the C in one off-season.

Quote: @Ponifan said:
I think Collins is locked into the LT spot.  I doubt he can be a factor anywhere else.  Elf needs to sit until he gets stronger, and that won't be by next season either.  We need a RG and a C, as long as Easton can make it back.  If he can't, well, that is going to be a mountain of a problem because I don't think any team has replaced both G and the C in one off-season.
The Colts had 2 new Guards AND a new RT this year, IIRC.

And speaking of Indy I sort of like their FA RG Mark Glowinski. 4th Rounder that started an entire season in Seattle but lost out to the youth movement. Considering the Line in Seattle that sounds pretty bad.

But the Colts ink him and stick him next to Braden Smith, a rookie RT, and he's quietly been very good.

Worth getting him on the Wilf Jet, IMO.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@Ponifan said:
The Colts had 2 new Guards AND a new RT this year, IIRC.

And speaking of Indy I sort of like their FA RG Mark Glowinski. 4th Rounder that started an entire season in Seattle but lost out to the youth movement. Considering the Line in Seattle that sounds pretty bad.

But the Colts ink him and stick him next to Braden Smith, a rookie RT, and he's quietly been very good.

Worth getting him on the Wilf Jet, IMO.
There were some high picks on that Seahag line and they move people in the run game