Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Gordon Leaving Pats
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2811715-josh-gordon-stepping-away-from-nfl-to-focus-on-mental-health-thanks-patriots?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

New England Patriots wide receiver Josh Gordon announced Thursday that he is "stepping away from the football field" to focus on his mental health.
Gordon revealed the news in the following statement on Twitter:
[Image: Du3dhq0VYAAGEHY.jpg:large]
In the statement, Gordon thanked Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, owner Robert Kraft and the Patriots organization for supporting him.
According to NFL Network's Tom Pelissero, Gordon is facing an indefinite suspension by the NFL for "violating terms of his reinstatement under the substance abuse policy." ESPN's Adam Schefter added: "Final punishment yet to be decided, but Gordon not expected to play again this season or maybe ever again."

New England acquired the 27-year-old Gordon in a trade with the Cleveland Browns in September. The Pats sent a 2019 fifth-round draft pick to Cleveland as part of the deal.In
11 games with the Pats this season, Gordon has caught 40 passes for 720
yards and three touchdowns. He also made one grab for 17 yards and a
touchdown in his only game with the Browns this season.
Gordon
did not play at all in 2015 or 2016 due to multiple violations of the
NFL substance-abuse policy, but he did return to the Browns to appear in
five games last season.
The 2013 Pro Bowler has
officially been suspended on four different occasions for
substance-abuse issues, including a 10-game ban in 2014 and a 16-game
suspension in 2015.
Gordon missed the start of training camp this season in order to receive counseling and treatment.
The former Utah and Baylor standout is among the NFL's most talented and productive wideouts when he actually plays. In 2013, Gordon led the NFL with 1,646 receiving yards, scored nine touchdowns and was named a first-team All-Pro.
Gordon's
departure comes at a trying time for the Patriots, as they have lost
two games in a row and are third in the AFC at 9-5.
If the season ended today, New England would not have a first-round playoff bye for the first time since the 2009 campaign.
Without Gordon, quarterback Tom Brady figures to focus primarily on slot receiver Julian Edelman, tight end Rob Gronkowski and running back James White in the passing game.

“Stepping Away” sounds a lot different than “Facing
indefinite suspension”

Regardless though it sucks for them, but glad it happened
now rather than after the playoffs.

It was just a matter of time. He's got real issues and leaving football entirely for good may be his best option. 

I really sympathize with real mental health issues.

That said, manipulative kids understand the stigma of this stuff and hide behind it. I had a kid on my high school football team who walked off the field in practice. Quit the team. He was a decent friend of mine at the time. After practice, we hung out as he lived near by. He said he was sick of the coach dogging him when he was practicing as good as he was for 2 weeks. He said he couldn't stand being one of the fastest kids on the team yet continually treated like an idiot or called out for little shit when he was giving it 100%. He was pissed off and happy to have quit. About a week and a half later, guess who shows back up at practice in full equipment? The coaching staff has him out with the starters on the first series and it was like he never left. After practice, we're hanging out. He says that he regretted quitting and that he thought of an excuse all week to tell the coaches so he could play again. Says he apologized to the coaches and told them he was going through some shit at home and that he had to do what was right.

I didn't care about the lie because he was a friend and I thought he shouldn't have quit in the first place. I thought his real reason for walking out was ridiculous, but I was just glad he was back with us on the team. But I understood exactly what he did by pushing the right buttons to get his way, and it worked.

With Gordon, it's not too much of a stretch for me to imagine a pot smoker understanding the larger dynamic of how people react to mental health issues, wanting to "take a break from football," and throwing this out there to keep the door open while not playing. I hope he is genuine in what he is saying and doing, and I hope this isn't just lip service bullshit to write himself a hall pass...

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
It was just a matter of time. He's got real issues and leaving football entirely for good may be his best option. 
This- especially your first sentence.  Too bad...

What kind of pisses me off is, he was reinstated, came in and helped them win some games, now he’s leaving for mental health reasons and is suspended indefinitely again. The Patriots benefited from him being there, even though he basically has no self control. He should never have been given the chance this season.
Also, I get the second chance thing, but after that, the NFL needs to just cut the ties and let them figure life out. He isnt going to change, and most of the repeat offenders aren’t going to change either.