Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kirk Cousins quiets primetime narrative by shining vs. Packers
MINNEAPOLIS — It will be awhile before Kirk Cousins is asked again about his win-loss record in primetime games.
The Minnesota Vikings’ franchise quarterback was criticized for his 4-12 career record in primetime games coming into Sunday night’s matchup on NBC. Entering the key matchup with the Green Bay Packers at US Bank Stadium, he’d gone 0-for-3 this season in games on the national stage.

With a 24-17 victory over Aaron Rodgers and the Packers, Cousins officially put concerns about his ability to step up in primetime.
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/1...s-packers/

Praise Cousins. Bash Cousins. Praise Cousins. Bash Cousins. Its on repeat with the media. It'll be back to Bash Cousins with one mediocre outing against New England. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Praise Cousins. Bash Cousins. Praise Cousins. Bash Cousins. Its on repeat with the media. It'll be back to Bash Cousins with one mediocre outing against New England. 
Well, if he'd string together five or six good games in a row, and win games against good teams, all of the criticism would go away.  I like Cousins, and I really want him to be the elite franchise QB we've been wanting here, but I don't trust him yet. 

He played really well Sunday night, and made some elite throws, but I don't know how many times I held my breath fearing a fumble or a bad INT when he's looking downfield.

He at least needs great games these next two weeks to shut up critics.  If he can't lead this team to the playoffs, his first season here is a failure, IMO.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:
Well, if he'd string together five or six good games in a row, and win games against good teams, all of the criticism would go away.  I like Cousins, and I really want him to be the elite franchise QB we've been wanting here, but I don't trust him yet. 

He played really well Sunday night, and made some elite throws, but I don't know how many times I held my breath fearing a fumble or a bad INT when he's looking downfield.

He at least needs great games these next two weeks to shut up critics.  If he can't lead this team to the playoffs, his first season here is a failure, IMO.

He's been one of the most pressured QBs in the NFL this season, there lies a good part of the inconsistency. He's thrown a few bad INTs and fumbled in the pocket, that has stunk. But him signing that large guaranteed contract has made him a target....hell, from way back when he signed it in the offseason. Most of the 'critical experts' are actually in Cousins corner, but some will never be. That's the media. 

Minnesota had a really fun 13-3 record last year. But they were a miracle play away from one and done again in the playoffs....that seems to get lost because I guarantee that would have left a bitter ass taste in everyone's mouth. It was lightning in a bottle. 

@HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:

He's been one of the most pressured QBs in the NFL this season, there lies a good part of the inconsistency. He's thrown a few bad INTs and fumbled in the pocket, that has stunk. But him signing that large guaranteed contract has made him a target....hell, from way back when he signed it in the offseason. Most of the 'critical experts' are actually in Cousins corner, but some will never be. That's the media. 

Minnesota had a really fun 13-3 record last year. But they were a miracle play away from one and done again in the playoffs....that seems to get lost because I guarantee that would have left a bitter ass taste in everyone's mouth. It was lightning in a bottle. 
Again, it's just excuses for why Cousins has struggled.  I agree the OL has been a mess, but great QBs know how to play with lesser talent and elevate their team.  Kirk still needs to do this to hush his critics.

I feel the Vikings outplayed the Saints in that playoff game for three quarters.  The Saints had an outstanding 4th and nearly won.  Yeah, it took the "miricle" to win it, but it was the first three quarters of that game to make that last play relevant.  The Vikings earned that playoff win, and it was more than one lucky play.  Case threw for 318 yards that day, and made several great plays before his "miricle" to Diggs.  He stood toe to toe with Brees and beat him.

Lets see how Cousins does against Brady and Russell in pretty much "must win" games to keep the playoff hopes alive.  They better win at least one of them, but hardly anyone believes they will.

@StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:

Again, it's just excuses for why Cousins has struggled.  I agree the OL has been a mess, but great QBs know how to play with lesser talent and elevate their team.  Kirk still needs to do this to hush his critics.

I feel the Vikings outplayed the Saints in that playoff game for three quarters.  The Saints had an outstanding 4th and nearly won.  Yeah, it took the "miricle" to win it, but it was the first three quarters of that game to make that last play relevant.  The Vikings earned that playoff win, and it was more than one lucky play.  Case threw for 318 yards that day, and made several great plays before his "miricle" to Diggs.  He stood toe to toe with Brees and beat him.

Lets see how Cousins does against Brady and Russell in pretty much "must win" games to keep the playoff hopes alive.  They better win at least one of them, but hardly anyone believes they will.
If you want Cousins to be Drew Brees or Tom Brady, he's not. Great QBs might play with less talent, but their offensive lines are good to very good or they would suck. Nobody thrives consistently under almost constant pressure. Show me a QB having a great year and almost always I'll show you an offensive line playing well. Dude, Keenum had throw for 255 yards before that miracle to Diggs...pedestrian. He didn't stand 'toe to toe' with Brees, but you can have your own opinion for sure. So you just compare the QBs against each other when teams face off? You understand that Cousins could easily set a bunch of Viking's passing records this season?

Cousins is the 5th best QB in the redzone this season, Keenum the worst.

Listen, I know there are a few Keenum fanboys around but I know as a fan, I want more than lightning in a bottle because those seasons always end with an ass kicking like it did in Philly. To me, Cousins offers more upside. For me, it was a very good signing for the position. But everything comes with risk.

@HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:

If you want Cousins to be Drew Brees or Tom Brady, he's not. Great QBs might play with less talent, but their offensive lines are good to very good or they would suck. Nobody thrives consistently under almost constant pressure. Show me a QB having a great year and almost always I'll show you an offensive line playing well. Dude, Keenum had throw for 255 yards before that miracle to Diggs...pedestrian. He didn't stand 'toe to toe' with Brees, but you can have your own opinion for sure. So you just compare the QBs against each other when teams face off? You understand that Cousins could easily set a bunch of Viking's passing records this season? 

Listen, I know there are a few Keenum fanboys around but I know as a fan, I want more than lightning in a bottle because those seasons always end with an ass kicking like it did in Philly. To me, Cousins offers more upside. For me, it was a very good signing for the position. But everything comes with risk.

Are you calling me a "Keenum Fanboy"?  Well, I'm a Viking fan so I guess I do like Case, but I never said I liked him better than Cousins.  Case outplayed Brees that playoff game, and had a great season.

I like Kirk, but paying top dollar for a QB that's struggling to keep this team above .500 is frusterating.  Cousins has a history for having great, almost elite QB stats, but he also isn't known for winning games.  He needs to do that to shut up his critics.  I don't care if he throws for 40 TDs this year.  I care if he can lead this team to the playoffs.  Kirk's crappy games against the Bills and Bears most likely wrecked defending the division crown, so now he needs to lead this team to at least a Wildcard spot.

Is he good enough?  I hope so, and will be cheering for him.  I have my doubts though; mainly from what I've seen from him so far.  I really do hope Kirk can make me a believer.

@StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:

Are you calling me a "Keenum Fanboy"?  Well, I'm a Viking fan so I guess I do like Case, but I never said I liked him better than Cousins.  Case outplayed Brees that playoff game, and had a great season.

I like Kirk, but paying top dollar for a QB that's struggling to keep this team above .500 is frusterating.  Cousins has a history for having great, almost elite QB stats, but he also isn't known for winning games.  He needs to do that to shut up his critics.  I don't care if he throws for 40 TDs this year.  I care if he can lead this team to the playoffs.  Kirk's crappy games against the Bills and Bears most likely wrecked defending the division crown, so now he needs to lead this team to at least a Wildcard spot.

Is he good enough?  I hope so, and will be cheering for him.  I have my doubts though; mainly from what I've seen from him so far.  I really do hope Kirk can make me a believer.
Both of you are correct. Cousins needs to prove he can win on the road in big game moments, and he can't do it all by himself. We will need a complete game in all fazes to have any shot in these hostile road environments. We have yet to beat a team with a winning record this year and could easily finish the season 2-3 in our last 5 games, especially if the Bears have anything to play for. They are a horrible matchup against our anemic offensive line and we all know what happens when Cousins is getting constant pressure. The Saints and Bears games are prime examples of that.  

Brees has one of the best O-Lines in the League. New England has the consensus best O-Line Coach. A guy who is legendary. That they coaxed out of retirement last year when their Line struggles where too much for Brady to overcome. Erin has two really good Tackles but you see their issues when either are out to compunction their weak OG situation. Wilson is getting better protection for the first time in ages.

And did I mention every single one of those QBs has a better rushing attack as well?

I will take english for 200 Alex
Quote:Cousins officially put concerns about his ability to step up in primetime.