Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Twins New Skipper is Rocco
https://www.mlb.com/twins/news/rocco-baldelli-hired-as-twins-manager/c-299659010
Rocco Baldelli has accepted the Twins' offer to fill their managerial vacancy, the club announced today.
The Twins will introduce their new skipper during a 3 p.m. CT news conference today at Target Field.
Baldelli,
37, replaces Paul Molitor, who had a record of 305-343 (.471) in four
seasons at the helm in Minnesota, including one postseason appearance,
when he led the Twins to the American League Wild Card Game, which they
lost to the Yankees. That trip to the playoffs was part of a 26-win
improvement (59 wins to 85), which earned Molitor the AL Manager of the
Year Award. Minnesota regressed to 78-84 this season and never really
came close to contending, which prompted the club to make a change.
Baldelli,
who has no managerial experience, had been the Rays' Major League field
coordinator. Prior to that, he was Tampa Bay's first-base coach after
working in the team's front office for four years. An outfielder in his
playing days, Baldelli was the sixth overall selection in the 2000 Draft
by the Rays out of high school, and he hit .278/.323/.443 with 60 home
runs over parts of seven seasons before retiring at age 29 after dealing
with a muscle disorder that often left him fatigued.
Baldelli is the first manager the Twins have hired from outside the organization since Ray Miller in 1985.
When
the Twins decided to replace Molitor on Oct. 2, they offered him a
chance to stay with the organization in an unspecified role in the
baseball operations department. Molitor -- who was born in St. Paul and
attended the University of Minnesota -- has yet to announce whether he
will remain with the club. The local legend spent the final three
seasons of his playing career with the Twins, collecting his 3,000th hit
while playing for his hometown team. He retired following the 1998
season and finished with 3,319 hits, which ranks 10th on the all-time
list. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2004.
"At this
moment in time, we felt this was the move for this baseball team, both
in the short-term here and as we build for the long-term future," chief
baseball officer Derek Falvey said in early October when announcing the
managerial change. "When we made this decision, it wasn't just about
wins and losses. Right now, at this moment, it was about where our club
is for the present and the future."
Other vacant managerial
positions have recently been filled in Cincinnati (David Bell is the
Reds' new manager) and Los Angeles (Brad Ausmus is the new manager of
the Angels). Three teams -- the Orioles, Rangers and Blue Jays -- are
continuing their managerial searches.

Good luck, dude.

Ain't he young enough to still be playing?

Quote:"At this
moment in time, we felt this was the move for this baseball team, both
in the short-term here and as we build for the long-term future," chief
baseball officer Derek Falvey said in early October when announcing the
managerial change. "When we made this decision, it wasn't just about
wins and losses. Right now, at this moment, it was about where our club
is for the present and the future."
Yadda, yadda, yadda...  It's the same shit lines every year about the future and continuous mentions of developing their young players and acquiring prospects.  There is never a NOW with the Twins.  When any of the young players finally start showing worth and producing they just trade them away for younger prospects and start the cycle over again, and once again vomit out the phrase "building for the future."  I reckon this Rocco will be the next scapegoat in a few years...

I feel bad for the diehard fans. This is such a joke. Wash, rinse and repeat. It's definitely not about wins, it's clear that the front office doesn't care.

"When we made this decision, it wasn't just about wins and losses. Right now, at this moment, it was about where our club is for the present and the future."

Quote: @"suncoastvike" said:
Yes, he was actually like the 6th overall pick in the draft, but he had some kind of rare muscular disease that cut his career short.

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
Yes, he was actually like the 6th overall pick in the draft, but he had some kind of rare muscular disease that cut his career short.
Yeah. I was being sarcastic.  I'm in the Tampa Bay viewing area. I know Rocco. He's just pretty young for a MLB manager. This has me worried.  I'll tell you though he's one of the good guys. He was really a good clubhouse and fan friendly player. People around here are talking on air about this move. He's got few radio folks here cheering for him.

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
Baldelli is the first manager the Twins have hired from outside the organization since Ray Miller in 1985.
Never a good sign to have your name in the same sentence as Ray Miller :#

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
I feel bad for the diehard fans. This is such a joke. Wash, rinse and repeat. It's definitely not about wins, it's clear that the front office doesn't care.

"When we made this decision, it wasn't just about wins and losses. Right now, at this moment, it was about where our club is for the present and the future."
I don’t agree with that.  Of course they care otherwise why would they be making any moves?  What has simply happened is the same for the Wild and the Timberwolves.  You can talk about free agents or whatever but these teams young players have not developed into the needed contributors to get these teams over the top.  

Quote: @"Purplewhizz" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:

I don’t agree with that.  Of course they care otherwise why would they be making any moves?  What has simply happened is the same for the Wild and the Timberwolves.  You can talk about free agents or whatever but these teams young players have not developed into the needed contributors to get these teams over the top.  
Nothing against Rocco, if he gets more out of Buxton and Sano, this will be great. It's more about the comments about the future instead of the now. I guess the constant rebuilding gets out. Maybe once the Mauer contract ends it might open things up. Time will tell.