Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weatherly did some fine work today...
Thought the kid flashed well on a big stage...

He's been making progress over the past couple weeks. He always had good measurabless and is incredibly smart, so it's nice to see him stepping into a bigger role and thrive. He made a really nice interior pass rush move to force the fumble that Joseph returned for a TD.

Weatherly has a NFL DE's body type: long and lean, with just a bit of thickness in the trunk for some power. He's a natural 270+lb. guy that will learn to use his power around the corner better than watch out.

Weatherly had his second career sack and first forced fumble on Sunday, when he knocked the ball out of Carson Wentz’s hand to set up Linval Joseph’s 64-yard touchdown return. So far this season, Weatherly has four quarterback hits. He played 54 of the Vikings’ 59 snaps on Sunday, as the Vikings tried to make do with two healthy defensive ends.

http://www.startribune.com/kirk-cousins-...495831191/

Has been my favorite 'project' on this team for quite a while. Hunter 'Extra Lite' with the measurables and had flashed enough in preseasons to get me thinking maybe Hunter Lite.

Now that he's getting significant playing time I definitely see Hunter Lite potential. Which is tremendous value considering where he was selected.

There will be some growing pains, though. I don't think anybody on the Staff expected him to be ready for full time minutes this season.

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
Has been my favorite 'project' on this team for quite a while. Hunter 'Extra Lite' with the measurables and had flashed enough in preseasons to get me thinking maybe Hunter Lite.
I was thinking the same thing. Smile

Where does this skinny guy get his strength from?

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:

Now that he's getting significant playing time I definitely see Hunter Lite potential. Which is tremendous value considering where he was selected.

There will be some growing pains, though. I don't think anybody on the Staff expected him to be ready for full time minutes this season.
His emergence is great news on a number of fronts. Aside from the obvious need he is filling with Griffen out, it's great to see one of our late-round "dart throws" paying off - after Edmond Robinson failed last year, it looked uncertain. I know the odds of any 7th-round pick becoming a starter are low, but since we collect so many of them a few should! And Kearse is contributing, too.
But I'm not sure you should say a player in his third year should not be expected to play full time. We have these guys for 4 years after they are drafted, then we have to sign them to a new deal or they likely leave.
If Weatherly starts the rest of this season, and continues to perform well...he might even get a contract extension before next season. I'm rooting for him - otherwise, we're picking DE #1.