Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misc. Thoughts: Rams
Just some quick thoughts:

1. Dominos:  One of the things that I like about football is the chess game in composing a roster -- it is an asset management game -- how many $ and draft picks you allocate to different positions, etc.  That being said, sometimes the chess game becomes a game of dominos.  So, the Vikings fail to draft an interior lineman in the draft and instead draft Hughes.  Not saying Hughes wasn't a good value but Hughes and Hill lead to the retirement of Newman.  Newman's retirement has lead to inexperienced nickel play.  Inexperienced nickel play has lead to linebackers hedging their own responsibilities leading to tight ends running free.  (Of course, with hindsight, they could have moved on from Sherels and kept their coach in the backfield.)
  2. Hunger:  For whatever reason, it does not appear that this team is hungry.  So, how can you show whether a team is hungry?  I thought fumble recoveries.  The opposing team has fumbled 9 times and the Vikings has recovered 1.  In comparison, the Vikings have fumbled 6 times and lost 4.  So, there have been 15 fumbles in Vikings games and they have recovered a total of 3.  Think about that for a second -- the Vikings are only recovering 20% of all fumbles.  By comparison, last year they recovered 10 of 26 fumbles or 38%.  I must admit that I am even surprised at the less than 40% recovery rate last year.
  3. Sparano.  Is Sparano's untimely death the cause of the oline issues or is it mostly a talent issue?  I tend to thing it a talent issue tied also to the change in offensive philosophy.
  4. Barr.  I really don't understand the personnel groups on passing downs.  I wrote last week about Linval on the field on obvious passing downs.  With Griffen out, I say put Barr at DE on passing downs, and bring in Iloka on passing downs.  Move Hunter back to the other side where he has a mismatch.  (And why was Tom Johnson deactivated against the Rams passing offense.

There is just too much right now. We have the talent, but we are being to "Viked" out of it at the moment. It is too much like every other year we were suppose to be in the drivers seat lately ('99, '10, etc...). We just seem like think we can coast, like in #2, and aren't showing up for games against the Bills. We need to get our shit together ASAP. We have the talent but need to replan for the character. We aren't the Newman, Brob, building Vikes. We are now a ton of guys with big deals or 1 year contracts trying to figure out where they fit together. Get Iloka some PT, put Barr on the speed rush with Hunter on the miss match. Get this new team some W's. All we are up against is the Bears in the NFCN and we can take them, and in the NFC we have already shown we can match the Rams blow for blow when they are on and we don't even know ourselves yet. So get it together and we are still in the top few teams, but it has to happen ASAP.

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:

1. Dominos:  One of the things that I like about football is the chess game in composing a roster -- it is an asset management game -- how many $ and draft picks you allocate to different positions, etc.  That being said, sometimes the chess game becomes a game of dominos.  So, the Vikings fail to draft an interior lineman in the draft and instead draft Hughes.  Not saying Hughes wasn't a good value but Hughes and Hill lead to the retirement of Newman.  Newman's retirement has lead to inexperienced nickel play.  Inexperienced nickel play has lead to linebackers hedging their own responsibilities leading to tight ends running free.  (Of course, with hindsight, they could have moved on from Sherels and kept their coach in the backfield.)
  2. Hunger:  For whatever reason, it does not appear that this team is hungry.  So, how can you show whether a team is hungry?  I thought fumble recoveries.  The opposing team has fumbled 9 times and the Vikings has recovered 1.  In comparison, the Vikings have fumbled 6 times and lost 4.  So, there have been 15 fumbles in Vikings games and they have recovered a total of 3.  Think about that for a second -- the Vikings are only recovering 20% of all fumbles.  By comparison, last year they recovered 10 of 26 fumbles or 38%.  I must admit that I am even surprised at the less than 40% recovery rate last year.
  3. Sparano.  Is Sparano's untimely death the cause of the oline issues or is it mostly a talent issue?  I tend to thing it a talent issue tied also to the change in offensive philosophy.
  4. Barr.  I really don't understand the personnel groups on passing downs.  I wrote last week about Linval on the field on obvious passing downs.  With Griffen out, I say put Barr at DE on passing downs, and bring in Iloka on passing downs.  Move Hunter back to the other side where he has a mismatch.  (And why was Tom Johnson deactivated against the Rams passing offense.
Good insight on the dominos effect.

As to Barr, read this article posted in another thread
from r/nfl

Barr played it correctly in most cases.  McVay just had his way with our D.  On the Gurley TD reception, Barr had to respect the out route and mostly had to defend the slant which he did.  But that allowed a good route and call by McVay.   They repeatedly got Barr singled on a WR which is a mismatch in every aspect, so I wouldn't put those on Barr, but on the defensive call.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:

Good insight on the dominos effect.

As to Barr, read this article posted in another thread
from r/nfl

Barr played it correctly in most cases.  McVay just had his way with our D.  On the Gurley TD reception, Barr had to respect the out route and mostly had to defend the slant which he did.  But that allowed a good route and call by McVay.   They repeatedly got Barr singled on a WR which is a mismatch in every aspect, so I wouldn't put those on Barr, but on the defensive call.

We came close to getting a road win against a good team with an sxplosive O
Gurley is the real deal