Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Offensive outburst across the league
Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
@"pumpf" said:
@"Neptizzle" said:
It is arena football. Teams are going RIGHT through the D in 30 yard chunks or 3 to 4 play clips. Its crazy. Goff's dropping dimes. RBs are extinct.
Yep... and (in my opinion) this is the beginning of the end.  If another league can get enough traction, I will watch it- rather than this.  Arena football is (used to be?) on ESPN2 all the time.  I watched it- for a little while- but only if there was nothing else on.  The same seems to be the trend with the NFL now.  
I might have to check into the Alliance of American Football that Jared Allen is a part of. I have seen a bit on Twitter about it. I guess Troy Polamalu is in on it as well. 
That's the league with Brad Childress as head coach of the Atlanta Legends? Mike Vick is player/coach of a team? Oh, the NFL is quivering.

Nationwide ratings are up this year, but the Vikings have a bad start and some of you declare the league is ruined. The NFL has repeatedly juiced offense since the 1970s and their audience keeps growing. What do you think half the fans in the league thought about Three-Deep in 1998? "Ruining football" , no doubt. But now OUR team spent 5 years trying to construct a defensive powerhouse, so you  hope the NFL will decide they prefer the 16-13 games Mike Zimmer built this team to play.

Yeah I am curious about it because I am hearing that the defense will actually be allowed to play. Lol on whether the NFL is quivering or not.

For me, it's not just about the Vikings having a bad start. It's about finding balance with the offense and defense. There has to be a happy medium in there somewhere. As far as previous teams go, there wasn't  an issue because of the balance of the game. The rules didn't slant in favor of the offense. Right now a lot of teams are having issues with defense because of what is and isn't allowed. Maybe it's an adjustment period, who knows but I see it as diluting the game. 21 was not a high enough magic number in my mind with this pass happy league. It seems more like 38 is the target. Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Quote: @"Neptizzle" said:
 RBs are extinct.
Several years ago, some writer said they were the most overvalued position in the pro game and they are now right.  Backs like AP will become more and more rare and Kamura-type backs that will have as many receptions as runs will be the norm.  "All purpose" yards are the new yardstick to measure a back's worth. 
30+ carries per game will be as rare as 50+ passing attempts per game used to be.

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
@"pumpf" said:
@"Neptizzle" said:
It is arena football. Teams are going RIGHT through the D in 30 yard chunks or 3 to 4 play clips. Its crazy. Goff's dropping dimes. RBs are extinct.
Yep... and (in my opinion) this is the beginning of the end.  If another league can get enough traction, I will watch it- rather than this.  Arena football is (used to be?) on ESPN2 all the time.  I watched it- for a little while- but only if there was nothing else on.  The same seems to be the trend with the NFL now.  
I might have to check into the Alliance of American Football that Jared Allen is a part of. I have seen a bit on Twitter about it. I guess Troy Polamalu is in on it as well. 
That's the league with Brad Childress as head coach of the Atlanta Legends? Mike Vick is player/coach of a team? Oh, the NFL is quivering.

Nationwide ratings are up this year, but the Vikings have a bad start and some of you declare the league is ruined. The NFL has repeatedly juiced offense since the 1970s and their audience keeps growing. What do you think half the fans in the league thought about Three-Deep in 1998? "Ruining football" , no doubt. But now OUR team spent 5 years trying to construct a defensive powerhouse, so you  hope the NFL will decide they prefer the 16-13 games Mike Zimmer built this team to play.

Yeah I am curious about it because I am hearing that the defense will actually be allowed to play. Lol on whether the NFL is quivering or not.

For me, it's not just about the Vikings having a bad start. It's about finding balance with the offense and defense. There has to be a happy medium in there somewhere. As far as previous teams go, there wasn't  an issue because of the balance of the game. The rules didn't slant in favor of the offense. Right now a lot of teams are having issues with defense because of what is and isn't allowed. Maybe it's an adjustment period, who knows but I see it as diluting the game. 21 was not a high enough magic number in my mind with this pass happy league. It seems more like 38 is the target. Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.
Not true. In 1994, the NFL under Paul Tagliabue changed a lot of rules specifically to improve offensive output. They made it illegal to jam receivers more than 5 yards downfield, instructed refs to call roughing the passer far more often, allowed offensive linemen a different blocking stance, and several other changes. A lot of fans griped, especially if their teams had been winning through defensive strength, but scoring rose significantly along with all passing stats. No coincidence that Cris Carter caught 122 passes that season! When we drafted Moss, a lot of people were still griping that a a tall, skinny guy like him couldn't make it except that the league changed rules. But the popularity of the NFL - and profits, and player salaries - have soared since those changes.

In the 90s, we were lucky to have an offensive-minded coach who drafted for offense and was able to take advantage of the new rules. But we have built recently on the premise of overcoming the offensive tide, and it might be impossible to consistently stay ahead of offenses with the freedom they are provided.

I'm also doubtful we can hang with the offensive free-for-all without an infusion of talent on that side of the ball. We have a QB who can do it - but our OL is going to get him killed, especially if they can't provide enough blocking for at least a decent running game, and what if one more OL gets hurt? Our 2 WRs are great, but if one gets hurt, we'll have to find out if Aldrick Robinson is effective as a starter, and Treadwell will be back to #3. The teams that can put up big offensive number ALL SEASON are the ones who have been drafting for offense the past few years. That's not the Vikings.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
 ones who have been drafting for offense the past few years. That's not the Vikings.
Well maybe not drafting, but $84 mil on QB, UDFA Thielen with big contract, Diggs with big contract, drafted Cook, Elf and O'Neill.  Our offense is potent enough.  I think we suffer a bit from scheme change and the loss of Sporano, but our offense hung 31 on the vaunted D of the Rams.

this franchise should not be thinking about premium picks on D for a few years with the one exception being a stud pass rusher.