Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpEd: Vikings have yet to show they can stop anybody this season
Vikings have yet to show they can stop anybody this seasonThis was a mismatch, and given that the Vikings defense is supposed to be the strength of the team, that is a bad sign.
– Thursday night we witnessed what happens when an unstoppable force meets a moveable object.
The Vikings’ defense, which ranked first in the NFL last season? Shredded, by the Rams’ passing-lane offense.
The Vikings’ Super Bowl hopes? Dented, by a second straight loss.
The Vikings’ pride? Wounded, after allowing quarterback Jared Goff to pass for 465 yards in the Rams’ 38-31 victory in what looked more like a track meet than a tug-of-war.
What now, for a team built to win with defense? “At this point, I don’t know,’’ Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said. “Wherever I’ve been, we’ve never been that poor in pass coverage.’’
“I’m concerned,’’ Zimmer said. “We have not played well defensively. They have a good offense. Same scheme we played last year and they had seven points. We left a bunch of guys open.’’
In the calendar year of 2018 the Vikings’ high-accomplished and well-paid defense has:
• Blown a 17-0 halftime lead to the Saints, winning on a miracle play after giving up 24 second-half points at U.S. Bank Stadium.
• Given up 38 points in the NFC Championship Game (although seven of those points came on an interception return).
• Allowed a gimpy Aaron Rodgers to control most of the game at Lambeau Field.
• Lost to a rookie QB at home.
• Made the Rams look like a sprint relay team.
Last season, the Vikings allowed 41 plays of 20 yards or more in 16 games. This season, they have allowed 17 plays that long in four games.
The Vikings miss Everson Griffen, the star defensive end who is dealing with mental health issues. But one of the strengths of this team was supposed to be its defensive line depth. The current line is proving that depth is no substitute for excellence.
“We made more mistakes than they did,’’ defensive end Danielle Hunter said. “They had a good game plan.’’
As they did in the NFC Championship Game, the Vikings on Thursday looked lost. Rams coach Sean McVay and Goff continually created mismatches and exploited them. Note that Vikings star safety Harrison Smith barely contributed, as the Rams chose to pick on lesser defenders.

This was a mismatch, and given that the Vikings defense is supposed to be the strength of the team, that is a bad sign.

Entering the season, the Vikings and Rams figured to be two prime contenders for the conference championship, but the Vikings on Thursday required brilliance from Kirk Cousins, Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen merely to avoid a blowout.
Zimmer built a team that should win any time the offense produces 20 points. Thursday, 31 weren’t enough.
Zimmer was hired for his defensive expertise, and the Vikings have invested heavily on that side of the ball in the form of draft picks, free-agent money and long-term contracts.
Now the aspect of the game in which Zimmer takes the most pride is failing him. Or he’s failing his defensive players.
There is something wrong here. Five years into his tenure, Zimmer’s defense has regressed.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-have-...494580411/

Good, rhetorical question...Zimm letting the player down or vica versa?

Maybe its both...

Great post. Sums up my feelings exactly. I will admit I've never been a X's and O's guy. I'm not that detailed in what's going on. I'm not a fantasy football guy. I don't even watch but one game a week anymore. I just know this is disappointing. I was so dejected after the NFCC lost last year. Well not as bad as previous years. However after it in the back regions of my mind. In the dark place I keep locked shut. I really knew what a precious opportunity was missed there in Philadelphia. Then I watched as the off season unfolded. Everything was looking good. Sure we would have like better Oline players. Still said we added to what was a talented roster. I was so look amp'ed up for the season. Now I need time to process what really is going on. This defense. This face of the team. This Zimmer calling card. Is the reason we are where we are. I'm trying hard to not think about it....but. We finally got the QB we waited for for years. He great he's young and he's putting up monster numbers...and I'm feeling that sickening feeling we are about to waste another great players prime. Why must it always have to suck every year after we almost don't. Don't give me the stats and the odds or the percentages. I already told you I'm not that guy. Please just tell me it's gonna get better. 
Sorry I'm really not myself today.

This is why the NFL, year to year, is the most unpredictable sport out there and understanding which teams will be good and which won't. Its frustrating as a fan and deflating. An exciting offseason full of promise and now the D is letting us down? The DEFENSE? Who'd have thunk it. Cousins took what, another 4 sacks last night? He's probably thinking same ol' shit, different year just like in Washington. 

I think the only way to fix this is tell Mike to be the head coach and stop calling the defense. It's almost like their not hearing him anymore. Maybe a fresh voice might change something. Hell I don't know. What I do know is. And trust me this is going to sound sooo weird. If we could just have an average defense we would be winning some of these. When and how the F*** did we get to that?

When a player compliments the opposing coach's game plan, it is a back-handed (although I'm sure unintended) swipe at his own coach.  As for Zimmer saying, "We ran the same defense last year..." that just might be the problem.  

Quote: @"suncoastvike" said:
Great post. Sums up my feelings exactly. I will admit I've never been a X's and O's guy. I'm not that detailed in what's going on. I'm not a fantasy football guy. I don't even watch but one game a week anymore. I just know this is disappointing. I was so dejected after the NFCC lost last year. Well not as bad as previous years. However after it in the back regions of my mind. In the dark place I keep locked shut. I really knew what a precious opportunity was missed there in Philadelphia. Then I watched as the off season unfolded. Everything was looking good. Sure we would have like better Oline players. Still said we added to what was a talented roster. I was so look amp'ed up for the season. Now I need time to process what really is going on. This defense. This face of the team. This Zimmer calling card. Is the reason we are where we are. I'm trying hard to not think about it....but. We finally got the QB we waited for for years. He great he's young and he's putting up monster numbers...and I'm feeling that sickening feeling we are about to waste another great players prime. Why must it always have to suck every year after we almost don't. Don't give me the stats and the odds or the percentages. I already told you I'm not that guy. Please just tell me it's gonna get better. 
Sorry I'm really not myself today.
Im not defending or bashing last years QB vs this years QB

Last year The D allowed 30 or more points twice during the regular season,
since then they have allowed 24 points in the 2nd half of a game, 38 points in championship game.

This year they beat a team 24-16 MN QB had a whopping 244 yards on 36 attempts. Kinda CK type numbers.

Week 2 needed 48 pass attempts to play catch up to a 1 legged QB.

Followed by a 55 attempted passes to score one time against the worst team in the NFL. MN was favored by 16.5 points they lost by 21 points.

Thur. needed another 50 attempts to play catch up.

Had last years D allowed other teams to rack up 20 points in the 1st 2 quarters of games.
CK would have needed to pass 50 times a game also.
This year Kirk has a 7.34 average per attempt
Last year Case had 7.37
This year Kirk has a TD every 19 attempts because the team needs to score often
Last year Case threw a TD every 21 attempts because for the most part they were not in catch up mode.