Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So what do you think?
We have our "smoking gun" as to why the entire team looked like shit on Sunday?

Not sure, but honestly, don't really care the why of it. As I would for any human being, I care about their well being. Hopefully, Griffen comes out of this, is fine and can move forward with his career. Having said this, I'm a fan and it smells like 'same shit, different year' for the Vikings. Always something. Its just another obstacle the team seems to have to deal with every single season. 

If the Vikings get steam-rolled Thursday night, you're going to see a mass exodus off the bandwagon. A promising season will be in serious peril. And all the offseason moves with Cousins, Richardson, getting a new kicker in Bailey, etc. will seem like some kind of collective fan dream we all had and now back to reality. 

I'm deflated. Its just football but I enjoy a fun season and I thought that's what we'd have and then see what could happen in the playoffs. Might not even have that. Hoping for some more surprises but in a positive vein.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Mostly I think it was just a snowball, the result of a team making big plays early and then getting some big breaks. But I guess it could've had an impact, especially if they were dealing with this issue in the week leading up to the game, when the game plan is installed. Or if the team was up all night dealing with their teammate. Then any attempt at a "once more into the breach" style comeback sort of loses its teeth. 

I think we have far to many knee jerk type people here,   a week ago it was so sad that the collective team played so great but because of Treadwell and Carslon the team didnt get the win,  now this week its the whole team,  the coaching staff,  the management,  the cheerleaders,  and the hotdog vendors that are the problem.  its one thing to point out some things that need to be cleaned up,  but this total freak out that our superbowl caliber team is going to be looking at a top 10 pick after 1 loss.... rediculous over reaction IMO.

I think parity is more prevalent this year than in year's past. Some of that is being dictated by the League's new rules. Some by young OCs mixing in wrinkles from the HS and College game that is catching DCs napping. Some of it is the sad state of O-Linemen who are not ready for Pro Football. And a lot of it is the reduced practice time the union wanted so badly.

With all this parity any team that makes the Playoffs has a chance to win it all. I see zero truly dominant teams and even if I did their O-Line and injuries would bring them back to the pack.

It's wide open. Bad teams aren't really that bad. Good teams really aren't that good. Just find a way to make the Playoffs and hang on for the ride.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
I think we have far to many knee jerk type people here,   a week ago it was so sad that the collective team played so great but because of Treadwell and Carslon the team didnt get the win,  now this week its the whole team,  the coaching staff,  the management,  the cheerleaders,  and the hotdog vendors that are the problem.  its one thing to point out some things that need to be cleaned up,  but this total freak out that our superbowl caliber team is going to be looking at a top 10 pick after 1 loss.... rediculous over reaction IMO.
You are absolutely right - to a degree. But there are a couple of things that justify the "total freak out", at least a little:
  • It wasn't any loss - it was a blowout, at home, by an 0-2 team that had looked like the worst in the league before meeting the Vikings.
  • Are we certain we have a "superbowl caliber team"? Yes the season is too early to draw conclusions, but we might not even be as good as last year.
We fans are overreactive, no doubt. But to me, this game looked like the game against Indianapolis in 2016, when we were home, favored, 7-6 and controlling our playoff destiny, against a weaker Colts team - and the players looked disinterested and got whipped.

I suppose they came off a weird week, with the tie, the replacement of Carlson by Bailey, and then whatever drama Griffen had. Maybe the cuts of Parry and Coley and return of Johnson made players feel like they were on an unstable ship, too. But the reason weird disturbances keep deflating Vikings seasons is that no one is keeping the team balanced when they happen. Really, every team has off-field drama. Patriots had a star TE murder someone, they have Brady drama steadily...but they go out on Sunday and do their business. The teams that keep waiting for all the stars to align and give them an undisturbed season are never going to win a championship.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Mostly I think it was just a snowball, the result of a team making big plays early and then getting some big breaks. But I guess it could've had an impact, especially if they were dealing with this issue in the week leading up to the game, when the game plan is installed. Or if the team was up all night dealing with their teammate. Then any attempt at a "once more into the breach" style comeback sort of loses its teeth. 
I think this is the case. The Bills came out aggressive and forced early turnovers and got up quickly. Maybe what happened to Grif during practice and the news Saturday might have contributed. Once they got down they might have felt frustrated.  The defense so frustrated they start losing concentration. Who knows. Do know it could not have been a good week at the office. Imagine if that happened at your work. People would be talking and doing everything but their jobs. Human nature.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
I just KNEW it had something to do with the hot dog vendors... shifty bastards.

Quote: @"Al (The Lochstar) Heurung" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
I just KNEW it had something to do with the hot dog vendors... shifty bastards.
all beef my ass.....  I raise beef, i know what beef tastes like,  those fuckers are trying to pass off chicken parts and that aint right.