Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer opens up: We were so dang close...
Mike Zimmer opens up about health, retirement, Eagles, Tony Sparano, quarterbacks and what keeps him goingMike Zimmer says he has unfinished business this year after last season's painful playoff loss to the Eagles.Mike Zimmer laughed when told there are times he doesn’t appear to be the happiest guy in the world.
“Do I still enjoy it?” asked the 62-year-old, sitting in his TCO Performance Center office during another long day of grinding toward Year 40 as a football coach, Year 25 in the NFL and Year 5 as Vikings head coach.
By this time in Bud Grant’s life, the fellow outdoorsman was four years into his second and final retirement as a coach. So, yeah, Zim, do you still enjoy it?
“I enjoy being around the players; I enjoy coaching and teaching and getting into the meeting room,” he said.
The next part came as somewhat of a surprise.
“I hate game day,” Zimmer said. “It’s a grind. A grind. Wins and losses. We get 16 tests a year. If you win eight of them, there’s still a chance you’re fired.
”http://www.startribune.com/mike-zimmer-opens-up-about-health-retirement-eagles-tony-sparano-quarterbacks-and-what-keeps-him-going/492778961/

(NOTE: Delete history and cookies if you cannot read the article link)

Very good read.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Very good read.
I thought so too...Interesting (and not unexpected) that the Wilf's require annual exams among the coaching staff now.

I have a hunch the passing of Sparano opened eyes to the emphasis placed on healthy/health protection of player assets - but not much for coaches. Until now.