Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Planning a Florida vacation
Christ... all this has me thinking I need to visit that part of the country.   I have always wanted to Fly to the Carolinas/Georgia,  get a rental car and drive down the coast,  across Florida and then follow the gulf coast up and around until I hit TX... then go home.  :p   

I am not the most cultured person ( i can hear the fainting bodies hitting the floor as I type) and really prefer low key events and more come as you are type restaurants and such,  but the historical significance of that region in relation to the develpment of our country,  as well as the natural beauty of the region is hard to overlook.... and I like food.   not frilly shit they serve at the over priced restaurants... the kind you can only get when you are at least 5 miles off an interstate and typically best found in towns with less than 10,000 population. 

oh and even though it freaks the homeowners out... I like to stop and look at beautiful houses,   I try not to take pictures as that can elicit a visit from local law enforcement,   but to look at a 200 year old home and imagine that it was all done without power tools,  or heavy equipment,  and no computer aided drafting equipment... awesome,  that to me is true art.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
Christ... all this has me thinking I need to visit that part of the country.   I have always wanted to Fly to the Carolinas/Georgia,  get a rental car and drive down the coast,  across Florida and then follow the gulf coast up and around until I hit TX... then go home.  :p   

I am not the most cultured person ( i can hear the fainting bodies hitting the floor as I type) and really prefer low key events and more come as you are type restaurants and such,  but the historical significance of that region in relation to the develpment of our country,  as well as the natural beauty of the region is hard to overlook.... and I like food.   not frilly shit they serve at the over priced restaurants... the kind you can only get when you are at least 5 miles off an interstate and typically best found in towns with less than 10,000 population. 

oh and even though it freaks the homeowners out... I like to stop and look at beautiful houses,   I try not to take pictures as that can elicit a visit from local law enforcement,   but to look at a 200 year old home and imagine that it was all done without power tools,  or heavy equipment,  and no computer aided drafting equipment... awesome,  that to me is true art.

That's my kind of vacation too, Jimmy. I love, and I mean, love learning about the history of our country. Love Old West history, Civil War history, early colonization of our country, and homesteaders and pioneers. We are an historically rich country.
I am a foodie as well, and I love to try the local fare. The fresh seafood thing is big as you know, since we are both from the prairie sea and the real sea seems far away and exotic. I can't get enough of learning about a place, its culture, the geography of the region, the history, the cuisine, the wildlife and the art. If I could have a month in Florida it wouldn't be enough. It truly makes me sad to know there's no way to see and  experience everything in 1 lifetime, but if I could I'd travel as much as possible.
My bucket list for the next few years (or in reality, the rest of my life):
Florida and the regions that have been discussed in this thread
Sequoia and Kings National Parks (I have to see the giant redwoods before I am dead and gone)
Yellowstone (I went there as well when I was 1...so I need to go again)
Acadia National Park (Maine is a must do, and I WANT that fresh lobster roll!)
Alaska (I'd see the whole damn thing if I could)
New Orleans (a paranormal and history fanatic's best dream)
North Carolina (the Southport and Wilmington areas--yes, I  am a  Safe Haven fan)
Sedona, Arizona
Yosemite National Park
Estes Park, Colorado (gotta stay at the Stanley y'know)
Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks

I could think of much more but I'm supposed to be  working!

Quote: @"prairieghost" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

That's my kind of vacation too, Jimmy. I love, and I mean, love learning about the history of our country. Love Old West history, Civil War history, early colonization of our country, and homesteaders and pioneers. We are an historically rich country.
I am a foodie as well, and I love to try the local fare. The fresh seafood thing is big as you know, since we are both from the prairie sea and the real sea seems far away and exotic. I can't get enough of learning about a place, its culture, the geography of the region, the history, the cuisine, the wildlife and the art. If I could have a month in Florida it wouldn't be enough. It truly makes me sad to know there's no way to see and  experience everything in 1 lifetime, but if I could I'd travel as much as possible.
My bucket list for the next few years (or in reality, the rest of my life):
Florida and the regions that have been discussed in this thread
Sequoia and Kings National Parks (I have to see the giant redwoods before I am dead and gone)
Yellowstone (I went there as well when I was 1...so I need to go again)
Acadia National Park (Maine is a must do, and I WANT that fresh lobster roll!)
Alaska (I'd see the whole damn thing if I could)
New Orleans (a paranormal and history fanatic's best dream)
North Carolina (the Southport and Wilmington areas--yes, I  am a  Safe Haven fan)
Sedona, Arizona
Yosemite National Park
Estes Park, Colorado (gotta stay at the Stanley y'know)
Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks

I could think of much more but I'm supposed to be  working!

I hear ya,  I want to spend a few months in the east when I retire,  basically taking in a little bit of each areas local flavor as I explore the historical significances of the region (especially the civil and revolutionary wars battlefields... it an eerie, awesome, humbling feeling to be standing on the same ground that so many people lost thier lives over.  I know Little Big Horn,  and Wounded Knee have been almost inspiring in way for me.  I also want to hit as many national parks as I can,  If Teddy and the rest decided they needed to be set aside for everybody to enjoy... must be something there to enjoy.  I've been to Yellowstone a couple times and always want to go back... except for dealing with the "tourists". :p

I lived in Jacksonville for 10 years, would go back in a heartbeat if I could afford the move.  But Jax itself is not a "tourist" town.  Like others have suggested, St. Augustine would fill that bill better.  As for when to go, I suggest April/May.  That's after the last winter "cold" snaps (nobody goes to FL to see 40 degrees, but in Jax/St. Augustine in March you might) but before the summer heat locks in.  Also, April/May are the two sunniest months of the year there: April for % of daylight and May for total sunshine hours.

If you come to Dunedin you can check out the Kellogg house

https://activerain.com/blogsview/4174094...of-history

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/129-B...4605_zpid/

And the Fenway Hotel is soon to open a rooftop bar/restaurant.  Yes the Fenway.  Famous hotel here where the old time baseball players like Ruth stayed.   Now the world wide headquaters for the Tai Chi society.