Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
George Edwards: 'We're working Iloka in at the 4th LB spot and back end safety
Aj Mansour‏ @AjKFAN 5m5 minutes ago
More
Aj Mansour Retweeted Aj Mansour
This would allow the Vikings to run hybrid packages in which Iloka would have the variability to play up as a 4th LB or back as a 3rd S. #KFANVikes
Aj Mansour added,
Aj Mansour @AjKFANEdwards confirms that the Vikings have worked George Iloka in as the “4th linebacker” spot as well as back end at safety. #KFANVikes

Yup... some of you called it.  I did too... but I was being sarcastic.   :p

finally... i have been wanting to see this since Zim got here... and now we have it.  I would still like to see a more rangy safety on the back side than Sendejo.   Harris or Kearse should be able to play center field better than AS IMO.  I like Dejo ok as an all around guy,  but he doesnt really stand out at any one aspect of the position.... just a decent player,  but if we are going to go with a new look,  lets put somebody back there with the range and ball skills to make teams play for throwing over our defense.

Edwards called Iloka's knowledge of Zimmer's defense a 'blessing'. He's going to help Minnesota this season.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Edwards called Iloka's knowledge of Zimmer's defense a 'blessing'. He's going to help Minnesota this season.
does the addition of Iloka knowledge of the system replace the need to carry Newman for his leadership and experience in the system?  I am usually all for the vets,  but Newman has looked really slow in his few opportuntites that I have seen of him this year.  maybe its just because the young guns running with him look so much faster,  but I was starting to get down on his coverage skills last year already thinking it was time for him to hang them up.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
does the addition of Iloka knowledge of the system replace the need to carry Newman for his leadership and experience in the system?  I am usually all for the vets,  but Newman has looked really slow in his few opportuntites that I have seen of him this year.  maybe its just because the young guns running with him look so much faster,  but I was starting to get down on his coverage skills last year already thinking it was time for him to hang them up.
very good question Jimmy. and it might make room for a bubble player we dont want to lose.

I hate to see it but I think Newman and Sherels could be out.  I agree Newman was showing a little speed depreciation last year.  Maybe keep him around as a coaching intern so if there are injuries he is ready to go.

I'd be ok with him later in the season if he is coming in fresh, not so much after a season of wear and tear.