Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else got the feeling this cutdown period is going to be crazy?
I'm thinking especially so for our own Vikings...

How much of this years personnel moves are with an eye to upcoming seasons?

It is every year.  The GI signing translates to me as being opportunistic.  I doubt that there will be another opportunity like it that comes from an OL position, however.  Those would cost, but lightning might strike, and we could afford another veteran minimum "prove it" deal like GIs.  Don't hold your breath, however.  I think we got what we got.

I think it will. Firstly, all the cuts are being announced in one round, so that will create a flurry of activity. Secondly, it's likely that the Vikings will be pushing for a trade or at least some waiver moves at LB and OL. Thirdly, we have some key veterans towards the end of their careers being pushed by young talent, which means some shocking moves are possible. Finally, we have really good depth, so players that we cut this year, likely would have been key contributors in past years. This could also feed into trades.

Quote: @Tyr said:
I think it will. Firstly, all the cuts are being announced in one round, so that will create a flurry of activity. Secondly, it's likely that the Vikings will be pushing for a trade or at least some waiver moves at LB and OL. Thirdly, we have some key veterans towards the end of their careers being pushed by young talent, which means some shocking moves are possible. Finally, we have really good depth, so players that we cut this year, likely would have been key contributors in past years. This could also feed into trades.
this was where my head was at...They've got some really good, young talent to lock-up next season and beyond. How much of this years moves are with an eye towards that vs fielding the best team possible now vs filling areas of need? 

Even with larger cap, they'll have tough choices to make. 

Such an important time coming-up for the players and front offices...

Am looking forward to game 3 too - closest we're going to come to a real game till September. Time is running out for some of the players to flash

I think any significant additions will come via trade in the next 7 days prior to the cut downs (possibly as soon as the week 3 games are completed)... the whole league know that Minny has high hopes,  a new high dollar QB, and a nearing desperation at the OL position.. not to mention a wealth of young talent at some other spots so they will be shooting offers to Minny to fill their holes with their OL bubble guys or projected cuts.  The next period IMO will be after the wave of cuts as some guys wont get released as expected and teams will hold onto them to try and get something of value in return but thats a gamble if teams like Minny decide to just roll with what they got or what they pick up off the scrap heap.

I think we'll add some depth at various positions with some young, high upside players. A "a gerald hodges for nick easton" type trade might happen. But I have a hard time seeing an NFL team trading a starting offensive lineman, two weeks before the season, especially considering how important continuity is for the OL. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I think we'll add some depth at various positions with some young, high upside players. A "a gerald hodges for nick easton" type trade might happen. But I have a hard time seeing an NFL team trading a starting offensive lineman, two weeks before the season, especially considering how important continuity is for the OL. 
well,  he may not be a starter for the team hes on,  but he may be better than what we have.   If Dallas wanted to play OL for DE or DB, we can likely find a guy that would start for them but not us,  and we could maybe get a reserve guy from their OL that could plug into our front 5 very soon.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
well,  he may not be a starter for the team hes on,  but he may be better than what we have.   If Dallas wanted to play OL for DE or DB, we can likely find a guy that would start for them but not us,  and we could maybe get a reserve guy from their OL that could plug into our front 5 very soon.
http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/DAL

Dallas has good starters, but their depth is lacking. I'm open to it, it's just hard to come up with any good ideas. Is anyone on that Cowboy 2nd line better than Compton? Isadora? Maybe. I'm not sure. I keep thinking about the Chargers. Small trade Schofield. Big trade Forrest Lamp (as if they'd trade him). One guy I liked a lot in the draft a few years ago was Houston guard David Quessenberry. Diagnosed with cancer a few years ago and sounds like he's now cancer free and playing well, just not yet a starter there. Mostly it seems like the OL are divided between players close to the bubble and players teams would never trade. I guess everyone has his price though. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/DAL

Dallas has good starters, but their depth is lacking. I'm open to it, it's just hard to come up with any good ideas. Is anyone on that Cowboy 2nd line better than Compton? Isadora? Maybe. I'm not sure. I keep thinking about the Chargers. Small trade Schofield. Big trade Forrest Lamp (as if they'd trade him). One guy I liked a lot in the draft a few years ago was Houston guard David Quessenberry. Diagnosed with cancer a few years ago and sounds like he's now cancer free and playing well, just not yet a starter there. Mostly it seems like the OL are divided between players close to the bubble and players teams would never trade. I guess everyone has his price though. 
i honestly dont look at other teams rosters for players,  i just picked the cowboys because they have such a good starting 5 and figured that there has to be 1 or 2 more that are worth a shit.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
Dallas is shelving Dak and Elliot  for the last 2 preseason games because their Oline is beaten up right now, doubt they'll trade Oline depth that's worth anything.