Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Impressed with our DL depth...
There were a lot of good things to glean from the Denver game, but how about our 2nd string DL?

Jaleel Johnson looked disruptive and has added some good weight.  I read an article earlier this off-season that he was told to slim down after the Vikings drafted him (weighed 315 at the combine) and he lost too much...  that was the main reason he didn't play much last year...  he was down in the 280's and couldn't anchor well.  Now that he's close to 300 pounds, the coaches are expecting big things out of him...  He's apparently been hanging out with Linval in the weight room and added a lot of strength.

Tashawn Bower also looked pretty disruptive.  He had another sack on a well executed stunt, but probably wishes he contained better on Freeman's TD run.  Still, I think he has a chance to be a factor in the DL rotation this season.  He's another guy that used the off-season to remake his body.  Long, strong dude.

Finally, I actually saw Weatherly do some notable things.  Had some nice pressures and broke up a pass on 3rd down when he dropped into coverage.  Maybe he finds a way to stick?

Holmes looked pretty good too and Zimmer had some good things to say about his play against Denver.

If these guys keep it up, the Vikings are going to have some tough decisions to make here...  even if they go unconventional and keep 10 guys.

Starters + 4 you mentioned + Robison = 9. If they can stash Arunde on the PS, who else would you keep?

Weatherly is under the radar, but he is the #3 DE on this team now. He's got the body and ability to start. Bower is getting a lot of run with the fans, but Weatherly is the guy that is going to get the reps and the opportunity to shine in 2018. He's a natural 275 lb-280 lb. guy with a thicker trunk with long levers.

Expect to see more true rotational type DL strategy than last year and this excellent depth is going to get some snaps.

Depth looks good. A lot of promising young prospects inside and out. With Johnson back at NT I would imagine it's going to be hard for Parry to make the team. 

DE: Griff, Hunter, Robison, Weatherley, Bower
DT: Joseph, Richardson, Johnson, Holmes, Parry

Parry atays as he is a great big body in the middle to spell Linval.

I bet we carry 10.  There is a lot of talent in that 10, a lot.  It would be great to keep them fresh with a heavy rotation.  Having an offense that can put up points can keep your starters off the field late in games.  Serious depth here, you have to stash Aruna on PS

I’m curious about others thoughts on our depth overall. I don’t remember a team we’ve ever fielded with as much talent top to bottom. It’s just the right mix of wily vets and young talent. Zimmer and Spielman both spoke of building a long term roster when Zim came in and in my opinion they’ve arrived. Good post on the DL Wetlander. They are a wicked group and I’d want nothing to do with them this year if I’m an opposing QB. 

Quote: @"Havoc1649" said:
I’m curious about others thoughts on our depth overall. I don’t remember a team we’ve ever fielded with as much talent top to bottom. It’s just the right mix of wily vets and young talent. Zimmer and Spielman both spoke of building a long term roster when Zim came in and in my opinion they’ve arrived. Good post on the DL Wetlander. They are a wicked group and I’d want nothing to do with them this year if I’m an opposing QB. 
While I agree about the overall team depth, I will wait until I see it in the regular season before saying that about the DL or LBs.  Our starting 4-5 are wicked indeed.  But beyond that, nothing proven IMO.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Weatherly is under the radar, but he is the #3 DE on this team now. He's got the body and ability to start. Bower is getting a lot of run with the fans, but Weatherly is the guy that is going to get the reps and the opportunity to shine in 2018. He's a natural 275 lb-280 lb. guy with a thicker trunk with long levers.

Expect to see more true rotational type DL strategy than last year and this excellent depth is going to get some snaps.
I wouldnot say he's #3, maybe 4 but he's definitely not 3. I see him and Bower at about the same, but yes Bower is getting the attention.

Quote: @"96POPS" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

I wouldnot say he's #3, maybe 4 but he's definitely not 3. I see him and Bower at about the same, but yes Bower is getting the attention.

So nice to have your insight, Pops.

Griff - Hunter - Robison 

then the youngsters, Bower and Weatherly. 

Zim is all about trust. In the big games, the three big dogs need to be on the field, so the youngsters will have to play well in the lesser games. 

Would love to limit the snaps of Griff and BRob going late in the season. Their football IQ is vital during the playoffs