Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The official 2018 Mr. Mankato odds
While the Minnesota Vikings are no longer holding training camp in Mankato, we at 1500ESPN will carry on the age-old tradition of naming a “Mr. Mankato.” The award goes to the player who is either drafted in the third round or later or goes undrafted and has the most outstanding performance during training camp. KSTP-TV’s Chris Long has put official odds on the competition. Here are your contenders….

CB, Holton Hill

Ranked as ESPN’s No. 1 undrafted free agent, Hill will have a shot to make the team. The former Texas defensive back is known as a top-notch tackler and playmaker, who could shine so long as his off-field issues aren’t a problem.
Odds: 3-1 – Almost certain to have impact, Mr Mankato campaign depends on reps
WR, Brandon Zylstra
A former CFL star, the former Concordia-Moorhead receiver will take a swing at carrying over his skills to the NFL. He doesn’t have breakaway speed, but does have excellent hands and instincts.
Odds: 3-1 – Fan expectation is Adam Thielen 2.0
WR, Korey Robertson
One of the Vikings’ highest paid undrafted free agents, Robertson gained 1,106 yards last season with 12 touchdowns for Southern Miss. He possesses excellent strength and a unique ability to break tackles and make plays after the catch. An open competition at depth receiver opens the door for Robertson to shine.
Odds: 5-1 – Could run away w/ Mr M honors with a few ‘splash’ plays in Eagan
rest of list here:

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/0...kato-odds/

Whenever I see "Mr. Mankato", it just makes me mad that camp isn't in Mankato anymore. I know I'm judging before I've seen the new setup, but there was something special about driving down 169. I'm not even excited for camp this year. You used to be able to go on a whim. Now you need to plan weeks or months ahead of time. It completely ruins the experience for me.

I'll miss Mankato too...Which is why I got down there one last time after 50+ years of going off and on. TCO is going to have such huge benefits for the org that are already paying off (i.e free agency etc.)

Times and era's just changed on us...Gotta roll with it cause staying mad wont do your outlook any good. Life is too short, enjoy the days - which is what the events of this past week so glaringly highlight for us all. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I'll miss Mankato too...Which is why I got down there one last time after 50+ years of going off and on. TCO is going to have such huge benefits for the org that are already paying off (i.e free agency etc.)

Times and era's just changed on us...Gotta roll with it cause staying mad wont do your outlook any good. Life is too short, enjoy the days - which is what the events of this past week so glaringly highlight for us all. 
You're right. "Mad" is the wrong word. It's more like "aggressively indifferent". I'm totally on board with the benefits when it comes to the team's needs, but it does make me disconnect as a fan. Training camp was the last vestige of the blue collar fan.

I think Stacy Coley is going to be heard from in this camp and preseason: he was a top 100 recruit out of high school when signed with the University of Miami. 

IMO, Holton Hill is the guy that is the best candidate for Mr. Mankato. The media has had fun with this but they can't laugh too hard about it with all the success the Vikings have had with UDFAs recently. This originally was kind of a dig at fans that got carried away with some of the unknown player's success at TC and then never even made the roster.

As far as training camp goes, I've gone in the past twice and it was underwhelming. JMO, but its boring. But if you like close access to players and are into autographs, I would imagine you'd like it. Autographs are just not my thing at all.

Minnesota Vikings‏Verified account @Vikings 3m3 minutes ago
More
Approximately 80,000 tickets are now committed for #VikingsCamp.

After tomorrow, general admission tickets are only available for August 14.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Minnesota Vikings‏Verified account @Vikings 3m3 minutes ago
More
Approximately 80,000 tickets are now committed for #VikingsCamp.

After tomorrow, general admission tickets are only available for August 14.

It looked like a  sparse crowd today, but not surprising given it's just the rookies till Saturday. 

That's great to hear and not surprising after a trip to the CG. That's all they wanted to try and handle there yr 1 while they work out the kinks...

My bet: Laquon Treadwell. Vikings will be resting Thielen and Diggs - maybe even Wright - and Treadwell will excel against backups and the media will eagerly declare that he has realized his potential.