Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Viking's numbers that should be retired - Thoughts?
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Canthony" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Canthony" said:
@"Tom Moore" said:
I understand the desire, but I don't think anyone's number should be retired, except Korey Stringer.   The reality is, we will have many who deserve such an honor, but the ring of honor can do that too.  If we retired them, then surely, Moss, Peterson, Randle, McDaniel, Birk, Ed White, Ron Yary, Krause, Chad Greenway, Scott Studwell, Joey Browner, Chris Doleman, Henry Thomas and more deserve consideration.
I think the ring of honor and Viking museum should be enough recognition when you only have about 90 numbers to pick from.

I agree with this fully. There is only one guy, if you were going to retire a number, that deserves to have it retired and IMO that is Moss' number 84.
No way.  He wasn't even a Viking for about half his career. 

Randy Moss is and always will be associated with the Vikings. Anyone outside of Boston will probably think of the Vikings when they hear Randy Moss.
His wiki page picture even has him in a patriot uniform....and if a retired number is the ultimate sign of respect an organization can show a player for their contributions to their organization I think the Vikings have far more deserving players than Randy. 

Fair enough. Whatever you say. Did you really just reference Wiki? lol.
I just like to give respect to someone that revolutionized the game into how we see it today. He completely changed the game and not sure we will ever see dominance like that again.
For every Moss you will get 10 million Will Fuller's and Williamson's that teams try and get to be the next big thing down field.
You and I see it different. It is what it is.

Quote: @"Canthony" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Canthony" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Canthony" said:
@"Tom Moore" said:
I understand the desire, but I don't think anyone's number should be retired, except Korey Stringer.   The reality is, we will have many who deserve such an honor, but the ring of honor can do that too.  If we retired them, then surely, Moss, Peterson, Randle, McDaniel, Birk, Ed White, Ron Yary, Krause, Chad Greenway, Scott Studwell, Joey Browner, Chris Doleman, Henry Thomas and more deserve consideration.
I think the ring of honor and Viking museum should be enough recognition when you only have about 90 numbers to pick from.

I agree with this fully. There is only one guy, if you were going to retire a number, that deserves to have it retired and IMO that is Moss' number 84.
No way.  He wasn't even a Viking for about half his career. 

Randy Moss is and always will be associated with the Vikings. Anyone outside of Boston will probably think of the Vikings when they hear Randy Moss.
His wiki page picture even has him in a patriot uniform....and if a retired number is the ultimate sign of respect an organization can show a player for their contributions to their organization I think the Vikings have far more deserving players than Randy. 

Fair enough. Whatever you say. Did you really just reference Wiki? lol.
I just like to give respect to someone that revolutionized the game into how we see it today. He completely changed the game and not sure we will ever see dominance like that again.
For every Moss you will get 10 million Will Fuller's and Williamson's that teams try and get to be the next big thing down field.
You and I see it different. It is what it is.
Yes I referenced wiki...somebody creates those pages and they have him as a patriot,  and nobody has changed it so what's your point?  Lol.

Randy dominated the game but he didn't revolutionize anything,  there have been other dominant receivers of their time and there will be again.  Randy had a pretty outstanding support cast in his most dominant years IIRC.

Compared to Pages overall contributions on and off the field to the legacy of the organization Moss would be a footnote in terms of true greatness.  Loved the player,  but his antics were less than a thing of greatness.