Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Man I hope this ends well...
Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Anybody see the mini "sub"/rescue pod that Elon musk sent over there?  I am not really claustrophobic but I may have opted to stay in the cave if that was my only way out.  I didn't realize how many hours into that cave those kids really were until a a couple days ago when the rescue operetion started to get laid out.

[Image: 11xp-musk-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&au...le=upscale]
They'd have to sedate the crap outta me.
Divers belts strapped to the hull...a O2 tank held on with tie downs....
The design looks like it was sketched by Napoleon Dynamite after he drew the "LIGER"
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQKqFQIHtjEGLXpWZ4u2F...PAVRgcUOuA]
[Image: latest?cb=20150716222413]
i wonder if they used elons escape pod to get the last of them out,  or if they just kept going the same way they started.  it sounded like they had started on sunday before the pod got finished but they  sent it over anyway.

Over/Under on when the made for TV movie is released???

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Vanguard83 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Anybody see the mini "sub"/rescue pod that Elon musk sent over there?  I am not really claustrophobic but I may have opted to stay in the cave if that was my only way out.  I didn't realize how many hours into that cave those kids really were until a a couple days ago when the rescue operetion started to get laid out.
"[Image: 11xp-musk-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&au...le=upscale]
The design looks like it was sketched by Napoleon Dynamite after he drew the "LIGER"
i wonder if they used elons escape pod to get the last of them out,  or if they just kept going the same way they started.  it sounded like they had started on sunday before the pod got finished but they  sent it over anyway.
Nope, it was too big for using in this situation.

Tham Luang caves, Thailand (CNN)The Wild Boars are back. Twelve young boys and their soccer coach are safe, freed from the floods in a labyrinthine set of caves in northern Thailand where they had been trapped in for more than two weeks. The mood in Thailand's Chiang Rai province is elated. 
When a Thai military unit had finished dismantling a section of water pumps that had proved so crucial in the successful operation, they jumped into their open-topped vehicle near the Tham Luang caves on Wednesday, smiling triumphantly to the crowd of cheering supporters who had stayed on to give their heroes a proper send off.

But behind those jubilant scenes lay the knowledge that each one of those rescue workers carries: the near three-week operation had rested on a knife's edge, with equal chance of success or disaster.

Now, with the mission over and the boys recovering in the hospital, the full story of the remarkable rescue can be told. 
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/11/asia/thai...index.html

I recently slid down a waterslide that was completely enclosed (and, therefore, completely dark) for about a 3 second stretch.  It nearly killed me.  I felt like I couldn't breathe.
So the next time down (you have to conquer your fears, right?), I went face first and kept my eyes open (so I'd see the light sooner).  When I finally reached the bottom (total of 5 seconds), I figured out that- on the way down- one of my contacts had gotten splashed out of my eye.

Moral of the story?  I'm with Vanguard.

Quote: @Kentis said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Vanguard83 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
what the hell... wasnt it designed specifically for this operation?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Kentis said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Vanguard83 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
It was actually some king of existing fuel cell from a space-x rocket I beleive Jimmy.

Quote: @Kentis said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Kentis said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Vanguard83 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
It was actually some king of existing fuel cell from a space-x rocket I beleive Jimmy.
i see,  the article i read on sunday said that musk was designing the pod for this rescue,,, would have thought space and size considerations would have come into play before having a group of engineers and fab people work over the weekend and then fly one half way around the world.

Elon Musk did this as a way to rebuild his image, which is pretty shitty around the industry. He's also offered to help with the Flint water crisis by giving out filters for home faucets that they'd designed. He's viewed as a huckster by some.