• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CBSSports: Shaky start for Cousins
"I'm drinking the Kool-Aid.  Join me brother!!!BOOM"
          Glug Glug Glug

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@Poiple said:
@Wetlander said:
The local media talks about Rodgers and how he tends to throw more interceptions early in the off-season...  he's testing his WRs to see who will make plays on 50-50 balls and try to figure out what he can get away with against certain types of coverage/defensive alignments.

I'm not worried about this at all.  I'd rather have Cousins figure out who he can trust in the red zone now instead of when the games really count.
At what point do we start calling you Alfred?  What, me worry?  :p
LOL...  who is Alfred?  This one flew right over my head...  :-D
I really think Cousins is in an ideal situation to flourish.  Top 5 defense, playmakers on offense, solid offensive.  He's one of the best play-action passers in the NFL and just so happens to go to a team with a HC that likes to run the football and work the play-action passing game off of that.  The Vikings brought in Flip as the OC because he is known for QB development and being successful in the red zone.
I mean this team plays right into Cousins strengths and we brought in an offensive coordinator who should help him with his weaknesses.  I'm drinking the Kool-Aid.  Join me brother!!!
BOOM

It ain't Kool-Aid, it's truth serum. This team is stacked like it's never been before. Luck is a lady wearing braids this year.

We are combining a peak roster with a whip-smart, young offensive mind that we were lucky to get. We played it brilliantly, too. He'll get a HC job if this offense does what it should do. And then waiting to take his place is Kevin Stefanski, maybe 2nd on that young offensive mind list.

The top free agent on the market--the kind of QB who NEVER becomes available, becomes available and signs with us because of our culture and exceptional supporting cast. It's rare for rosters like this to have a QB of that caliber.  It can't be sustained. But it will be here for about two years. Sure, he has weaknesses, but he's talented enough to make this sports car of an offense run at peak efficiency. It doesn't hurt that what he does well happens to be the thing that our OC specializes in. And don't forget the RPO, a scheme when run to perfection is almost impossible to defend. It requires a durable, decisive QB, a home-run threat at RB and receivers who run precise routes and can run after the catch. Check. Check. Check. Cousins play action to Cook, looks downfield and chooses between Cook, Thielen, Diggs, Rudolph....folks, that's just nasty. 

Oh, and don't forget that the league's number 1 defense, a defense that was better on 3rd down than any defense in 27 years. The only real "weakness" on that defense was its 3-technique. We filled that with Sheldon Freaking Richardson. A defense that specializes in the AA-gap blitz just added a pro bowl talent on the inside. A player equally good at rushing the passer and stopping the run. Joseph and Richardson pushing the pocket. Hunter and Griffen on the edge. Barr and Kendricks threatening the A gaps. QBs everywhere tremble with fear. 

And let's not forget this little (or massive) ace in the hole we have at kicker. We're now essentially in field goal range every time we cross the 50. But who needs a kicker when your new OC comes from a team that went for it on 4th down more than any other team in the NFL the last two seasons? And the points they tallied vs. the points they lost as a result was 74 to 3. When you have a defense like this, 4th down is always in play...and when you're playing 4 downs and the rest of the NFL is playing 3 downs, that's a huge advantage. 

Worried? I might be a little worried about injuries. Maybe a little worried that our best ever roster won't translate to a championship because of bad luck or timing. But worried isn't the word I'd use. "Jacked" might be a better one. Viking bars all over America bursting at the seams.  "SKOL" chants echoing from sea to shining sea. Cats and dogs living together...buckle in folks, it's gonna be a helluva ride.... 
Well articulated MB...

I'm preaching with you, I haven't had this much anticipation about a Viking team since the helicopters were watching from overhead as Chilly was driving Bert from the airport to Winter Park.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@Poiple said:
@Wetlander said:
The local media talks about Rodgers and how he tends to throw more interceptions early in the off-season...  he's testing his WRs to see who will make plays on 50-50 balls and try to figure out what he can get away with against certain types of coverage/defensive alignments.

I'm not worried about this at all.  I'd rather have Cousins figure out who he can trust in the red zone now instead of when the games really count.
I really think Cousins is in an ideal situation to flourish.  Top 5 defense, playmakers on offense, solid offensive.  He's one of the best play-action passers in the NFL and just so happens to go to a team with a HC that likes to run the football and work the play-action passing game off of that.  The Vikings brought in Flip as the OC because he is known for QB development and being successful in the red zone.
I mean this team plays right into Cousins strengths and we brought in an offensive coordinator who should help him with his weaknesses.  I'm drinking the Kool-Aid.  Join me brother!!!
BOOM

It ain't Kool-Aid, it's truth serum. This team is stacked like it's never been before. Luck is a lady wearing braids this year.

We are combining a peak roster with a whip-smart, young offensive mind that we were lucky to get. We played it brilliantly, too. He'll get a HC job if this offense does what it should do. And then waiting to take his place is Kevin Stefanski, maybe 2nd on that young offensive mind list.

The top free agent on the market--the kind of QB who NEVER becomes available, becomes available and signs with us because of our culture and exceptional supporting cast. It's rare for rosters like this to have a QB of that caliber.  It can't be sustained. But it will be here for about two years. Sure, he has weaknesses, but he's talented enough to make this sports car of an offense run at peak efficiency. It doesn't hurt that what he does well happens to be the thing that our OC specializes in. And don't forget the RPO, a scheme when run to perfection is almost impossible to defend. It requires a durable, decisive QB, a home-run threat at RB and receivers who run precise routes and can run after the catch. Check. Check. Check. Cousins play action to Cook, looks downfield and chooses between Cook, Thielen, Diggs, Rudolph....folks, that's just nasty. 

Oh, and don't forget that the league's number 1 defense, a defense that was better on 3rd down than any defense in 27 years. The only real "weakness" on that defense was its 3-technique. We filled that with Sheldon Freaking Richardson. A defense that specializes in the AA-gap blitz just added a pro bowl talent on the inside. A player equally good at rushing the passer and stopping the run. Joseph and Richardson pushing the pocket. Hunter and Griffen on the edge. Barr and Kendricks threatening the A gaps. QBs everywhere tremble with fear. 

And let's not forget this little (or massive) ace in the hole we have at kicker. We're now essentially in field goal range every time we cross the 50. But who needs a kicker when your new OC comes from a team that went for it on 4th down more than any other team in the NFL the last two seasons? And the points they tallied vs. the points they lost as a result was 74 to 3. When you have a defense like this, 4th down is always in play...and when you're playing 4 downs and the rest of the NFL is playing 3 downs, that's a huge advantage. 

Worried? I might be a little worried about injuries. Maybe a little worried that our best ever roster won't translate to a championship because of bad luck or timing. But worried isn't the word I'd use. "Jacked" might be a better one. Viking bars all over America bursting at the seams.  "SKOL" chants echoing from sea to shining sea. Cats and dogs living together...buckle in folks, it's gonna be a helluva ride.... 
If you can't be optimistic as a Viking's fan this year, why even bother being a fan? Just tune into the NFL on Superbowl Sunday, see who's made it and save yourself the misery of waiting for the other shoe to drop. I mean, I get why the Twin Cities is SadSackville because the Vikings have always failed, sometimes in miserable ways, but hope should still spring eternal. 

I get that we have emotional scars being long time fans of this team and they'll have to prove it to all of us, but this is a very good team in a strong conference. They have the ability to get to the Superbowl legitimately. Let's watch and see if it happens or not.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@Poiple said:
@Wetlander said:

BOOM

If you can't be optimistic as a Viking's fan this year, why even bother being a fan? Just tune into the NFL on Superbowl Sunday, see who's made it and save yourself the misery of waiting for the other shoe to drop. I mean, I get why the Twin Cities is SadSackville because the Vikings have always failed, sometimes in miserable ways, but hope should still spring eternal. 

I get that we have emotional scars being long time fans of this team and they'll have to prove it to all of us, but this is a very good team in a strong conference. They have the ability to get to the Superbowl legitimately. Let's watch and see if it happens or not.
What needs to happen in the Midwest part of the country is what I think we're on the precipice of seeing:

More, young Viking fans (new culture, norms, not jaded)  - CHECK
Vikings Winning Games, Division and having post-season success -   CHECK
Rogers retiring some time soon and Packers becoming mediocre  and surpassed by Vikings as most popular in this part of country...Ridiculous to see so many GB t-shirts and caps here. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@Poiple said:
@Wetlander said:

BOOM

What needs to happen in the Midwest part of the country is what I think we're on the precipice of seeing:

More, young Viking fans (new culture, norms, not jaded)  - CHECK
Vikings Winning Games, Division and having post-season success -   CHECK
Rogers retiring some time soon and Packers becoming mediocre  and surpassed by Vikings as most popular in this part of country...Ridiculous to see so many GB t-shirts and caps here. 
As someone who lives nowhere near Minnesota, the Vikings won over a LOT of fans last year. One of my son's classmates asked his dad for a Vikings jersey for Christmas. That's just nuts in Bronco land. Diggsy is especially popular as you might imagine.