Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT - Walleye Fishing the Columbia River Gorge
Quote: @"Kentis" said:
@"Bullazin" said:
kent is that where the deschutes empties in or farther up?
Yes, we weren’t fishing far from the Deschutes inlet, between there and Celilo Park.
What did you catch them on?  Were you trolling?  Jigging?

Quote: @"Purplewhizz" said:
@"Kentis" said:
@"Bullazin" said:
kent is that where the deschutes empties in or farther up?
Yes, we weren’t fishing far from the Deschutes inlet, between there and Celilo Park.
What did you catch them on?  Were you trolling?  Jigging?
Trolling w/ bottom bouncers & nightcrawler harnesses...

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"jargomcfargo" said:
I love Oregon and fly out there for a week or two every year. We usually rent a house on the ocean but I have been wanting to book the same trip you did. That Columbia River valley is beautiful. Very windy though. There is a lot of wind surfing there.
 Walleye fishing has been my lifelong hobby and I have fished a lot of places. The last few years I have been fishing Lake of the Woods, just north of Baudette, in Canada with great results. I have also been fishing the SD glacial lakes around Waubay. I have fished pretty much,the entire Missouri river system in the past, including Sak , by Garrison, and the river around Bismark. Would like to fish the Van Hook arm in the fall, but it's a long haul from Nebraska.
Anyway, congrats on your catch. Nice healthy looking fish.
where at on the coast?  We were in pacific city 2 years ago and drove through that gorge.  Beautiful country for sure.  We just went to the WA coast just north of the columbia mouth.  That river is crazy huge.  Still a bit cool for the ocean, but beat the tourist season and prices, so it was great.
We usually stay about an hour south in Oceanside. It is between Tillamook bay and Netarts bay. The ocean is rough and dangerous all up and down the coast. Lots of tales of barfing for those going whale watching or fishing in the ocean.
I pig out on fresh seafood and IPA while out there. I love it. Next trip I hope to include some fishing on the Columbia for a few days. I also saw some guys Dori fishing, on Angler West TV, and would like try that as well. I think that was down south out of Newport. Those guys launch their Dori boats right of the beach and go out through the breakers. When they return, they sound their horn to alert people on the beach, then catch a wave and surf the boat right up on the beach. Looks like a blast.

Damn... lived here 14 years and never knew there was walleye so close!?!   Looks great man. 

Quote: @"NorthwestNorseman" said:
Damn... lived here 14 years and never knew there was walleye so close!?!   Looks great man. 
Lol,  apparently fishing isnt high up on your list of leisure activities?

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"NorthwestNorseman" said:
Lol,  apparently fishing isnt high up on your list of leisure activities?

Guess not, lol.  But... even someone above living close by said they didn't know that river had walleye.  I have been salmon fishing on the Columbia River.  I'd take salmon over walleye, but sure miss walleye!